REPAIRED: Any advice on replacing sewer Y (3"x3"x2")

jbeletti

Today, I noticed some water dripping under the RV near the sewer termination point. Upon close inspection, I found that large Y cracked on the bottom. Apparently, I have a leaky valve that allowed some water to flow from a tank to the sewer termination, freeze, then crack the Y. Oops!

Broken Sewer Parts.jpg

I've requested the Y (#1), the 90 (#2) and the reducer bushing (#3) from Heartland.

As for going about the replacement, there's a bit of pipe above the top 3" inlet on the Y. So I might be able to use that pipe to glue in the new Y. This would raise the Y, which would be good, except, it would change the fall I have on the 1.5" line coming in from the left to nearly level.

I will lose some 1.5" pipe when I cut out the Y and I know I can easily go further left and splice in anything that I need, but I'm planning to add a 1.5" slip blade valve. That may help me gain the length I need.

This all said, how would you go about replacing this Y?

mlpeloquin

Re: Any advice on replacing sewer Y (3"x3"x2")

Today, I noticed some water dripping under the RV near the sewer termination point. Upon close inspection, I found that large Y cracked on the bottom. Apparently, I have a leaky valve that allowed some water to flow from a tank to the sewer termination, freeze, then crack the Y. Oops!

View attachment 48921

I've requested the Y (#1), the 90 (#2) and the reducer bushing (#3) from Heartland.

As for going about the replacement, there's a bit of pipe above the top 3" inlet on the Y. So I might be able to use that pipe to glue in the new Y. This would raise the Y, which would be good, except, it would change the fall I have on the 1.5" line coming in from the left to nearly level.

I will lose some 1.5" pipe when I cut out the Y and I know I can easily go further left and splice in anything that I need, but I'm planning to add a 1.5" slip blade valve. That may help me gain the length I need.

This all said, how would you go about replacing this Y?

Jim, if you can rent a 2" and 3" pipe hog, you cut the Y at the center of the fittings and then use a straight piece of 3" and 2" pipe to glue in the new one. The ABS/PVC reamers go by the name PIPE HOG. Makes the job easy. They cost for a one time use is and ouch, but an equipment rental might have them.

https://www.ohiopowertool.com/c-620-wheeler-rex-pipe-hog-pvc-and-abs-fitting-reamers.aspx#

Skywrench

Full Timer

I think I would just cut the pipe at both points upstream of the 'Y' with a hack saw and use some ABS couplings and pieces of straight pipe to make things match the original. Your local hardware store should have the extra pieces you need for minimal cost. Pipe hog would be nice if you want to save any of the fittings but it might be cheaper to just buy new fittings.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim I think there is a mail / female coupler you could use. I would cut that 3" down spout as long as you can and then use one or these.
And do the same on the 2" then replace everything from there out.
I think if I'm right your drop will stay the same.
24cb30433dc4bc0eb2070b51aa7eb330.jpg

So this goes outside of old pipe and inside of new Y pipe

I just left home depot if I had more time I could of double checked my theory

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I ordered all the 3 fittings from Heartland and 2 Valterra blade valves (1.5" and 3") from Amazon. Then from Lippert, I ordered another Cam Lock adapter (3" slip x 3" Cam Lock). Finally, I have a number of items to get from Home Depot. Seems they have the Y, reducer etc. So I may double up on some items I hope to get from Heartland and return to HD, items I end up not using. We're going into the deep freeze tomorrow, so this repair may not get done until we hit the road in early January. I can apply some cement externally, then wrap with tape to limp along until I make the repairs.

Home Depot
3 in. x 3 in. x 2 in. ABS 90 Degree Hub x Hub x Hub Elbow with Low-Heel.jpg

Last edited:

Bones

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I ordered all the 3 fittings from Heartland and 2 Valterra blade valves (1.5" and 3") from Amazon. Then from Lippert, I ordered another Cam Lock adapter (3" slip x 3" slip). Finally, I have a number of items to get from Home Depot. Seems they have the Y, reducer etc. So I may double up on some items I hope to get from Heartland and return to HD, items I end up not using. We're going into the deep freeze tomorrow, so this repair may not get done until we hit the road in early January. I can apply some cement externally, then wrap with tape to limp along until I make the repairs.

Home Depot
View attachment 48932

It's not too bad to work with glue and pvc. Easy stuff. I would like to join my pipes so I have one hook up but that may be a pipe dream. ha ha :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Would it be possible to put together the Wye set up and use Fernco couplings to put it all together? Cut the existing pipes a couple of inches back from the broken fitting and glue in a piece of pipe to the new fitting to give something for the coupling to clamp to.

hoefler

You could go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the correct PVC fittings, and use the universal, red label, glue. ABS and PVC fittings have the same dimensions, and the PVC is a heavier fitting.

porthole

Retired

We're going into the deep freeze tomorrow, so this repair may not get done until we hit the road in early January. I can apply some cement externally, then wrap with tape to limp along until I make the repairs.

Home Depot
View attachment 48932

Why not just back it into the garage and do it in the comfort and warmth and easy clean up of that epoxy floor?

Oh yeah, ya sold all that for sub zero and snow measured in yards :D

jbeletti

Why not just back it into the garage and do it in the comfort and warmth and easy clean up of that epoxy floor?

Funny guy Duane :)

Lou_and_Bette

Oh the inhumanity of that statement...but it is really ironic! Jim, you might want to try that "fiber" repair material they are selling now to repair rake handles, etc., the stuff that wraps around things then hardens...kind of like the material they use for casts. Could be a good temporary fix instead of tape.

jbeletti

Got this repaired today.

At Home Depot, I purchased (all black ABS):
- 3" x 3" x 2" Y
- 3" 90
- 2" x 1.5" reducer
- 2' section of 1.5" pipe
- 2' section of 3" pipe
- Small can of black ABS cement

From Amazon, I purchased:
- 3" slip x 3" slip gate valve

From Lippert, I purchased:
- 3" slip x 3" female Camlock adapter

Then I cheated and took the RV to a new RV Servicer in Colorado Springs and they knocked out the repair in 2 hours for me. They did a great job. I'll write a review about them in the Service Reviews sub-forum.

Today via UPS, I received the same ABS parts from Heartland. I'll keep those for future repairs - mine or someone else's.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: REPAIRED: Any advice on replacing sewer Y (3"x3"x2")

Glad you got it taken care of Jim.
Looks like we'll see you in a few weeks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk