Inverter Generator

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on your needs.
Do you want to run the AC, microwave, or hair dryer? Or just power the converter?
Make a list of the items you intend to use and add up the wattage required for those items.
If it would work for your needs, and probably will, I suggest a 3K Honda w/electric start.

Peace
Dave

It depends on your needs.
Do you want to run the AC, microwave, or hair dryer? Or just power the converter?
Make a list of the items you intend to use and add up the wattage required for those items.
If it would work for your needs, and probably will, I suggest a 3K Honda w/electric start.

Peace
Dave
Definitely want to run A/C and lights, possibly microwave

Oregon_Camper

Definitely want to run A/C and lights, possibly microwave

While "possible"to run the AC on an inverter, it isn't really practical. You'll need a massive battery solution (min 4...probably 6) to make this work.

For AC & microwave, you're going to need a powerful generator. The typical Honda units you see (small ones) will need two units, wired in parallel in order to enable AC to work.

While "possible"to run the AC on an inverter, it isn't really practical. You'll need a massive battery solution (min 4...probably 6) to make this work.

For AC & microwave, you're going to need a powerful generator. The typical Honda units you see (small ones) will need two units, wired in parallel in order to enable AC to work.
I seen the champion 3100 watt inverter says it will run a 15,000 btu a/c, mine is only a 13,500.

danemayer

I seen the champion 3100 watt inverter says it will run a 15,000 btu a/c, mine is only a 13,500.
It's not a question of whether there's enough wattage to run the A/C unit. It's about how long it'll take to run down the batteries. You'd need quite a bit of battery power to run for 1 hour before batteries are depleted.

bdb2047

I have a 3100 Champion and can run 15000 A/C. Will not run any other hi amp loads at same time.

Oregon_Camper

It's not a question of whether there's enough wattage to run the A/C unit. It's about how long it'll take to run down the batteries. You'd need quite a bit of battery power to run for 1 hour before batteries are depleted.

I think both Dan & I read this wrong. I was thinking you were asking to run an inverter only...from battery to create AC.

Reading this again, it is clear you are asking for a generator to run your AC and microwave.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We are also starting the search on portable generators to carry as backups for the LM and have decided on probably 2 Honda 2000 inverters which we will parallel. Not sure if they will run one 15k a/c but will work for lights and battery backup. By having the 2000, it will be light enough for either of us to pick up if having to move them.

danemayer

I think both Dan & I read this wrong. I was thinking you were asking to run an inverter only...from battery to create AC.

Reading this again, it is clear you are asking for a generator to run your AC and microwave.
There's another thread I thought I was posting on, where the OP had just installed new batteries and wondered why none of the outlets were hot. Have to go looking for that one.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We are also starting the search on portable generators to carry as backups for the LM and have decided on probably 2 Honda 2000 inverters which we will parallel. Not sure if they will run one 15k a/c but will work for lights and battery backup. By having the 2000, it will be light enough for either of us to pick up if having to move them.
I have two 2K in parallel and there is no problem running a 15K AC.

Peace
Dave

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

They will run one ac and some other things like tv and sat receivers and so on. This is what we use for tailgating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Thanks everyone for giving us a better understanding/feeling about using 2 2000 inverter generators. Now to what units to get. We were pretty sure about getting Hondas until we saw the review by a fellow rv'er on a generator made by WEN. The weight is about the same and the dba was only a point or two higher so .....

Oregon_Camper

Thanks everyone for giving us a better understanding/feeling about using 2 2000 inverter generators. Now to what units to get. We were pretty sure about getting Hondas until we saw the review by a fellow rv'er on a generator made by WEN. The weight is about the same and the dba was only a point or two higher so .....

We have the Yamaha generator. Priced about $100-$150 less than Honda and basically the same specs. I had ours for 3 years and starts every time within 2-3 pulls.

http://www.yamahagenerators.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EF2000iSv2

TxRoadWarrior362

I'm in the equipment rental business. The Honda inverter generators in our rental fleet hold up really well. I wouldn't think of buying another brand.

Tim

Nabo

Thanks Duane but the 3000 or larger will be out of the question because we are trying to keep units that will fit under the 21" bedrail height of the truck. We have a quad fold bed cover and keeping these gennies under cover when not hauling is our goal. Ya know out of site, out of mind thing.

Piperflyer

Thanks Duane but the 3000 or larger will be out of the question because we are trying to keep units that will fit under the 21" bedrail height of the truck. We have a quad fold bed cover and keeping these gennies under cover when not hauling is our goal. Ya know out of site, out of mind thing.
My Honda 3000 fits under the Tonneau cover of my truck. Plus I have it chained to my hitch, when the cover is rolled back