Wiring for rear vision camera

RoadJunkie

As I mentioned earlier, I was looking for a wireless solution to controlling the power to the Furrion observation camera; It just bugged me that the camera was on all the time. I bought this little gizmo from Amazon. I was able to discard the original unit's case and install it within the camera mount itself. Now, I realize the remote unit is always powered and awaiting a remote signal to power the camera, but somehow, for me...it's different. Anybody want pics? Pics, you say? OK, by popular demand:

The purchased unit

20170307_163128.jpg

Planning the install into the camera mount

20170307_152034.jpg

Cut the wire protruding from the rear cap

20170307_155034.jpg

I "tinned" all wires prior to inserting them into the compression connection block.
System ready to install onto the rear cap

20170307_161433.jpg

Replace the screws, add a little caulking and...Voila', remote operated camera. Just don't plan to put anything else in the small space behind the camera mount!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You've impressed the top two "modders" of the forum! Congrats! Looks like a great solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHerrick

Does anybody have pictures of the installation of the camera mount on a pre-pre wired unit? I have a 2015 Bighorn and will be putting one on soon and wanted to see where somebody else had put theirs.

thanks!

You've impressed the top two "modders" of the forum! Congrats! Looks like a great solution.

RoadJunkie

Does anybody have pictures of the installation of the camera mount on a pre-pre wired unit? I have a 2015 Bighorn and will be putting one on soon and wanted to see where somebody else had put theirs.

thanks!

If you will notice in one of the pics below, the camera is mounted directly below the center running light.

SHerrick

Thanks, and yes, I saw that, but the one on your post was on one of the newer Bighorns. Mine has the older back end on it that has the sharp in-sweeping slant right under the backup lights. Further down on the thread someone has a picture of an older Bighorn installation, but without the mounting bracket, just a hard mount. I was looking for a picture of the camera with the enclosure mounted on a 2015 or earlier back end.

If you will notice in one of the pics below, the camera is mounted directly below the center running light.

WBG

WBGavin
Thanks, and yes, I saw that, but the one on your post was on one of the newer Bighorns. Mine has the older back end on it that has the sharp in-sweeping slant right under the backup lights. Further down on the thread someone has a picture of an older Bighorn installation, but without the mounting bracket, just a hard mount. I was looking for a picture of the camera with the enclosure mounted on a 2015 or earlier back end.

Here is a picture of my camera on a 2014 3570. Hope that helps.

WBGIMG_4692 (1280x853).jpg

Alan_B

I just installed this on our 2016 Bighorn 3570RS. It did not have the camera prep. That would have made it easier, but it was a quick install as is.

Wired it into the marker light above. Works fine.
IMG_2849.jpgIMG_2850.jpg

SHerrick

Thank you! With it set up like that, how much of the road can you see? Did it sync up ok and does it stay synced at highway speeds for you? That is exactly what mine will be!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan_B

Thank you! With it set up like that, how much of the road can you see? Did it sync up ok and does it stay synced at highway speeds for you? That is exactly what mine will be!

You can adjust the lens up or down, depending if you want to see more of the road or the area right below the camera (helps with close-in backing). This is a manual adjustment done at the camera. I have mine adjusted to see more of the road, and so far so good. It is hard to exactly describe the amount of the road you can see. I will be moving it home tonight (from storage) so I will try to get a more specific answer.

The camera sync'd immediately and stays connected. I have not driven on the highway since I did the install so I can't confirm, but I don't expect any issues.

SHerrick

Great! Mine should arrive late tomorrow and my intentions are to mount it Sunday. I won't be moving the RV until the 2nd of June, so please let me know how it behaves while you are taking it home!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan_B

The wiring into the marker lights was easy.

Unfortunately I have an un-related problem with the marker lights. The 7-pin umbilical cord that runs from the Bighorn to the truck is bad, with the marker light circuit frequently not working. I have the replacement cord and will be installing it this weekend.

When the marker lights work, the rear observation camera works great!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Alan if your going to replace the cord you should redo it right with one of my 7-way junction box and coiled light cord.
You can get the parts and make your own pretty easily I can help you If you need it.
or I can make you one and ship it to you.

I've done a few different versions.
Just the basic box and cord.
Box cord and switch for all marker and tail lights.
And one with lights and flashing lights in case you have to leave it on the side of the hwy or you want to annoy the people in the camp site behind you. LOL
a59799fce49ff3b76d73406837d4f548.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Alan_B

Alan if your going to replace the cord you should redo it right with one of my 7-way junction box and coiled light cord.
You can get the parts and make your own pretty easily I can help you If you need it.
or I can make you one and ship it to you.

I've done a few different versions.
Just the basic box and cord.
Box cord and switch for all marker and tail lights.
And one with lights and flashing lights in case you have to leave it on the side of the hwy or you want to annoy the people in the camp site behind you. LOL

Thanks Jerrod. I am definitely upgrading to the 12' coiled cord (purchased from eTrailer) and the holder for the 7-pin plug. The rest will have to wait awhile.

Many thanks for the offer to help!

Oregon_Camper

The wiring into the marker lights was easy.

Any chance you have some images from this? I'll be doing this install in the next few days.

If not pictures, what was your trick for getting the marker lights to open up to gain access to their wires? What did you use to seal the market back to avoid water getting in?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jerrod. I am definitely upgrading to the 12' coiled cord (purchased from eTrailer) and the holder for the 7-pin plug. The rest will have to wait awhile.

Many thanks for the offer to help!

What is the value of moving to the coiled cord?

Jess...I've seen your box a few times on here. What was the driving force to make you do that? I know I'm a COMPLETE ROOKIE when it comes to 5th wheels, so I'm trying to learn from one of the best! :)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Well there are a few reasons that I did this on my RV.
#1)First and foremost was to keep the cord from dragging around in the bed of the truck and getting cought on things. Which would possibly pull the cord out and unplug it or just plane rip it up. Not a good day...
#2) To be able to simply hang the cord up with one hand and be able to pull the truck out without​ any worries of the cord catching on something on the way out. And no more winding it up and trying to shove it into the pinbox.
#3) was to elemenat the jankie metal junction box on the back of the pinbox. Which could possibly cut through the wires and short out on the box. Also eliminating those horrible wire nuts they use.
#4) I'm able to clean up there messy wire job inside the box.
#5) I'm able to gain easy access to any post/circuit I want to do testing or tap into it with switches and using the power source inside the box I'm able to turn on tail and marker lights, backup lights, flashers.
#6) because it looks clean and neat.

Those who have switched over Love it.
I think I just made my 20th 7-way box and cord today.
This is the first of it's kind !!!!
I used diodes in it to seperate the turn signals.
So this one with the 3 way switch will light all lights in one direction and flash the turn signal/flashers in the other position.

So maybe a few of you out there with my 7-way box or your oun version of it can chime in and say what you think of it after you've been using it for a while.

Here's the new one

96fccb087bb18dd1d4f14770068ec578.jpg
f5bd6fb60ea1f8f7d8aa0bb8d4329b79.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I like mine after I was able to figure out the trailer wiring as there wasn't much rhyme or reason to the colors