SOLVED: Furnace not working (closed, then slowly opened valve)

rocrider50

Ran the heat on one of the propane tanks until dry on my 2017 Cyclone 3800. My bad? So I switched tanks and ran the stove like I was taught to purge the line. Then I turned on the furnace, nothing. Checked the fuse, we are good. Any thoughts on how to get the furnace running again?

SHerrick

Re: Heat not working - what did I do now

Just keep trying. You had run all the propane out of the line to the heater so it will take a little while to get it back in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Heat dosen't work 2017 Cyclone 3800

When you turned on the furnace, it should have started the blower and run for about 25 seconds before making 3 ignition attempts. On failure, the blower would stop.

Did the blower run for between 25 and 60 seconds?

If so, try closing the full tank, wait 15 seconds, and re-open the valve verrrry slowly to ensure the overflow protection doesn't get activated.

rocrider50

When you turned on the furnace, it should have started the blower and run for about 25 seconds before making 3 ignition attempts. On failure, the blower would stop.

If so, try closing the full tank, wait 15 seconds, and re-open the valve verrrry slowly to ensure the overflow protection doesn't get activated.

The blower ran for at least 60 seconds before I noticed that there was no heat. I checked the stove and got no gas. So I went and switched tanks. But the blower never came back on.

danemayer

The blower ran for at least 60 seconds before I noticed that there was no heat. I checked the stove and got no gas. So I went and switched tanks. But the blower never came back on.
Did you cycle the thermostat to OFF and back to HEAT? After doing so, the safety lockout would have been cleared and the blower should run again, and the burner should ignite.

rocrider50

Did you cycle the thermostat to OFF and back to HEAT? After doing so, the safety lockout would have been cleared and the blower should run again, and the burner should ignite.

I cycled the thermostat 4 or 5 times. Nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo!!!! Closing and slowly opening the valve fixed it.

rocrider50

I cycled the thermostat 4 or 5 times. Nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo!!!! Closing and slowly opening the valve fixed it.

Thanks Danemayer, good catch. Curious though how opening the valve triggered a valve to close? Is it there to prevent pressure spikes and where is it located?

danemayer

Thanks Danemayer, good catch. Curious though how opening the valve triggered a valve to close? Is it there to prevent pressure spikes and where is it located?

Modern propane tanks have an overfill protection built into the valve. If the valve is opened too fast, the protection device stops the flow of propane. Sometimes you'll still get a partial flow; enough to light your stove top burners, but not enough to meet the demand of the furnace.

rocrider50

Modern propane tanks have an overfill protection built into the valve. If the valve is opened too fast, the protection device stops the flow of propane. Sometimes you'll still get a partial flow; enough to light your stove top burners, but not enough to meet the demand of the furnace.

Great to know, thanks.

mikeandconnie

I had a similar problem yesterday and this tread put me in the right direction and helped me solve the issue. When using the left tank the stove worked but the furnace would not light. With the right tank everything worked correct. Turn out to be a leaking hose between the tank and regulator. It was leaking pretty good around the crimp.