Dining Table Converting to a Bed Is Non-Functional

We have the Terry Classic and used the extra bed for the first time for our niece. When you lay on the bed the cushions and the table actually flips over causing one of the cushions to fall to the ground. The bed is literally non-functional. I noticed that the new Terry Classic has a larger table without the twist lock table legs, and just the folding legs like in a pop-up trailer. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

danemayer

Hi macrepairboy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a pretty active group of Terry owners who have been doing mods of all kinds to their Terry Classics. I'm sure they'll have some feedback for you shortly.

BobbyandGenee

I am assuming you have the "scissors" table then? The V21 had two versions of the table. First run models had a two leg twist lock table and later models had the scissors table.

Although the twist lock table top did work, we opted to make a custom plywood space filler with a leg. This allows for a wider bed use and still supports 2 adults easily.

You can follow other modifications on other parts of the forum.

And at https://www.facebook.com/Terry-Classic-V21-by-Heartland-175194559719464/

Attachments

• 22007612_10211165397233651_2912008168318937005_n.jpg
    22007612_10211165397233651_2912008168318937005_n.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 57
I am assuming you have the "scissors" table then? The V21 had two versions of the table. First run models had a two leg twist lock table and later models had the scissors table.

Although the twist lock table top did work, we opted to make a custom plywood space filler with a leg. This allows for a wider bed use and still supports 2 adults easily.

You can follow other modifications on other parts of the forum.

And at https://www.facebook.com/Terry-Classic-V21-by-Heartland-175194559719464/

Our trailer must be a first-run as the dining table had two twist-lock legs. When two kids are attempting to sleep with the dinette table in the bed position, the table flips downward on the outside edge and the cushion slips out. Appears to be an issue with the two side supports being too short and the table itself being too short (front to back).

Not only is the table unstable when placed in the bed position, it is five inches too short (front to back) when seated at the dinette. One has to lean over the table or move uncomfortably close to the table since the table legs are fixed and the table itself is five inches too small.

I contacted Heartland this morning and they offered to ship us the newer style scissors style table as a replacement. The newer style table is the correct depth for the dinette area (larger table). I'll remove the two twist-lock floor mounts and patch the screw holes. Most likely, I'll need to replace the two side supports with longer pieces of wood to support the larger table.

Furious10

We have the Terry Classic and used the extra bed for the first time for our niece. When you lay on the bed the cushions and the table actually flips over causing one of the cushions to fall to the ground. The bed is literally non-functional. I noticed that the new Terry Classic has a larger table without the twist lock table legs, and just the folding legs like in a pop-up trailer. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
We have the twist (early) model table, but never used it as a bed. I did notice the cleats were too short and we thought about making them better and fitting the table better for support. But, we found the whole dining area uncomfortable and that's what started the whole "transition" of our trailer. I realize some need the dinette for extra sleeping, but the recliner we installed is comfortable...I've slept there all night. The scissor table should help.