Screen door latch

Roller4tan

Has anyone found a sturdier replacement for the plastic screen door latch? I've had to repair or replace mine three times in as many years.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
After seven years ours finally broke.
I found exact replacements at Bontrager's RV Surplus in White Pigeon, MI, and pretty cheap on top of it.
They don't last forever.

Peace
Dave

bsuds

I think mine broke the first or second time we used our rig. I used a piece of pipe hanger strap as a "temporary" fix.
It is still holding it 4 years later. lol

smoore

I think mine broke the first or second time we used our rig. I used a piece of pipe hanger strap as a "temporary" fix.

Do you have any pictures of how you completed the repair? Mine as well broke the first time we used it, and I continue to have to repair.

RoadJunkie

Ours lasted years and we had a friend who came over and--because they were not familiar with the latch--broke it on the first try getting out. So, the first or second time is when one might expect them to break.

wdk450

My son and his wife had concerns when they borrowed the rig for a church campout many years ago, and the 2 kids were both toddlers who could easily open the screen door and fall down the stairs. I added one of these safety latches to the screen door: safety latch.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our problem was a large Maine Coon cat that figured out how to pull the inside handle down. I installed a barrel latch to the inside of the screen door, just below the sliding panel, that catches the door frame. Easy for us to operate from outside, but he went to the Rainbow Bridge before he could figure it out. Now we have two rambunctious kittens that might figure out the OEM latch when they get their first visit to the rig in a few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am fighting that battle with the warranty people right on my NT23RBS now thru the DLR , my frame is bowed and hartland doesn't care.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yukonjackman can you post some pics of your bowed frame?
Any idea how it got bowed?

Peace
Dave

smoore

I am fighting that battle with the warranty people right on my NT23RBS now thru the DLR , my frame is bowed and hartland doesn't care.

Yukonjackman

How did you find out your frame is bowed? I've always wondered with mine if i have a frame issue with either a bowed area or a broken weld.

LBR

We are assuming it is your screen door frame bent....was it like during your PDI, or happened during your usage? More info would help.

Yukonjackman

How did you find out your frame is bowed? I've always wondered with mine if i have a frame issue with either a bowed area or a broken weld.

My job for decades was Quality Inspection , I used a straight edge at least 3 ft long and thin as not to ride on the screw heads then took a steel ruler and found the gap was and the then the 2 points where it stopped it was at where it locked but doesn't.

danemayer

My j?ob for decades was Quality Inspection , I used a straight edge at least 3 ft long and thin as not to ride on the screw heads then took a steel ruler and found the gap was and the then the 2 points where it stopped it was at where it locked but doesn't.

Do you think you could loosen the screws on that side and shim the frame?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
if i may ask are you a heartland rep
Nope.

After looking at the video that you posted to YouTube a while back it corrected my thinking. I see that you were referring to the screen door frame. I was thinking the trailer frame.
And that brings up a question. Since the screen door does not latch is there an adjustment on the screen door latch itself? I know that there is adjustment on some brand latches.

Peace
Dave

Nope.

After looking at the video that you posted to YouTube a while back it corrected my thinking. I see that you were referring to the screen door frame. I was thinking the trailer frame.
And that brings up a question. Since the screen door does not latch is there an adjustment on the screen door latch itself? I know that there is adjustment on some brand latches.

Peace
Dave

Hi Dave , All adjustments have been done that i can see, I am planning a updated youtube video in a few months ( figure it will take them that long to fix it ).

The plastic screen latch on our new Bighorn Traveler came off the second time I opened it. The screws were stripped. Still waiting for Tiara RV Sales to fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk