Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Full-time in a Gateway?

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: Full-time in a Gateway?

Quote Originally Posted by danemayer View Post
    Staying warm inside and keeping the water running are different. A space heater will help keep you warm, but can lead to frozen water pipes in the underbelly because the furnace may not run as much as without a space heater.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more information.

That said, if you're going to run a space heater, having a dedicated 20 amp outlet, with its own wiring, on its own circuit breaker is a good idea. But in the winter, since you're not running air conditioners, the 50 amp mains supply plenty of power.
    That is some great information. More stuff I did not know. I may reroute that plug in under the camper to use heat lamps with now or run more than one. I like the option of plugging in extra stuff if needed. Being able to run heat lamps underneath the camper by just plugging them in and not having to run additional cords would be a great thing to have. You also answered my question about whether I should keep the 110v water heater on at all times or turn it on and off as needed. Any idea how long it takes for the electric water heater to heat the water on average? My wife is wanting to turn it on and off, example would be overnight, but I don't know that it is necessarily that cost effective, having to reheat the water from scratch vs just keeping the current water hot and the fact that in houses, the water heater stays on all the time as well.

2. Print this Post   #12

I have always left the water heater turned on, running on electric.

I doubt it would take more than an hour, if that long, to heat the water.

If you leave it on, and assume it cycles on for 5 minutes every 1/2 hour, from 8 PM to 8 AM that's about 2 hours of operation at about 1400 watts per hour, or 2.8 Kilowatt Hours to keep it running 12 hours overnight, versus 1.4 KWH if you turn it off and heat the water in the morning. So at $0.15 per Kilowatt Hour, you might save $0.25 per day. Obviously these are rough figures, so maybe it's $0.15, maybe $0.50.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #13

That's what I figured as far as your numbers and the cost. I was just not sure if it was good for the heater itself to be running full-time. Seems like somethings in a house that work fine full-time aren't the same when it comes to a camper.

4. Print this Post   #14

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwoodfarms View Post
    That is some great information. More stuff I did not know. I may reroute that plug in under the camper to use heat lamps with now or run more than one. I like the option of plugging in extra stuff if needed. Being able to run heat lamps underneath the camper by just plugging them in and not having to run additional cords would be a great thing to have. You also answered my question about whether I should keep the 110v water heater on at all times or turn it on and off as needed. Any idea how long it takes for the electric water heater to heat the water on average? My wife is wanting to turn it on and off, example would be overnight, but I don't know that it is necessarily that cost effective, having to reheat the water from scratch vs just keeping the current water hot and the fact that in houses, the water heater stays on all the time as well.
    We've spent two winter's in our 2014 Gateway. Found if you don't run the furnace at night, the pipes will freeze under the kitchen sink. Still happens even if we add a 100 watt light bulb in the space where the water manifold is located.
    2014 Gateway
    2014 F350 Super Duty Dually
    Trailer Saver Hitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2