Spring hangers failed

rocrider50

Just had a close call yesterday. The rear spring hangers on my 2017 Cyclone 3800 failed and the trailer skidded sideways. Almost lost the rear axle and the entire rig. One of the welds is a cold/poor penetration weld. The rest failed when the axle went sideways. Its in a truck weld shop being fixed. Not sure what to say, not expecting a failure like this so soon. Check your spring hangers ASAP. Any advice on this $2770 repair, I'm out of warranty? I think Lippert (frame manufacture might cover it), not sure yet. Thank God that Alexander Welding was near by and knew how to fix it. Waiting to get it back.
CHECK your Hangers!

20180625_135943.jpg

jbeletti

Sorry to hear about this. Today, please do this:

1. Create an email to warranty@lci1.com
  2. Attach all images you took of the weld failure
  3. Include your VIN
  4. Include your name, email and phone number
  5. Include a narrative of what happened and what you are doing now about it
  6. Request your case be reviewed and financial relief be considered
It's then likely you will receive an automated reply with a case number assigned. Then a couple days later, it's likely you'll receive further instruction. I say all of this as I saw this same thing in Canada last week, this is the process the customer followed and how LCI responded. Worth a shot.

PondSkum

I need to crawl under and check mine. Seeing more of these issues lately. The right side in your picture looks like it's been broken for a while. Glad you managed to keep the rig under control and no one was hurt!

rocrider50

3. Include your VIN
It's then likely you will receive an automated reply with a case number assigned. Then a couple days later, it's likely you'll receive further instruction. I say all of this as I saw this same thing in Canada last week, this is the process the customer followed and how LCI responded. Worth a shot.

Got a case number assigned already. Thanks.

rocrider50

I need to crawl under and check mine. Seeing more of these issues lately. The right side in your picture looks like it's been broken for a while. Glad you managed to keep the rig under control and no one was hurt!

Still shaking, dreamed all night about what ifs.

danemayer

Any advice on this $2770 repair, I'm out of warranty? I think Lippert (frame manufacture might cover it), not sure yet. Thank God that Alexander Welding was near by and knew how to fix it.
View attachment 58297

Hi rocrider50,

I'm wondering about the $2770. Are they doing more than putting on new hangers? All 6 of mine were cut off and replaced in 2012 (for other reasons) at a cost of $579. I supplied the new hangers.

rocrider50

Hi rocrider50,

I'm wondering about the $2770. Are they doing more than putting on new hangers? All 6 of mine were cut off and replaced in 2012 (for other reasons) at a cost of $579. I supplied the new hangers.

Yes, springs got damaged when all three axles went sideways. Quite a bit of damage to the entire suspension. $2770 was a not to exceed number, perhaps it will be cheaper. Almost lost the entire rig. I might be getting a bit of I'll stop what I'm doing to fix you while you it in a hotel charges. They pulled 4 guys off and put them on overtime and want it out of the shop fast to get back to their normal paying customers. Its on a frame machine right now (its a semi repair shop and they have a semi frame machine) checking the frame for straightness. I suspect if I had caught this early it would have been a $500 re-weld, not a $2800 accident repair.

mlpeloquin

My rear hanger broke a few months ago. $386 for a truck repair service to weld it back on. I knew he did not know what he was doing, but figured I could make it home. We had to cancel the Washington rally at Kennewick. Took it easy and used the number two lane which is much smoother than the number three main truck lane. By the time I got home, half torn off. Got to the welder and off again. The pictures were taken at the RV park. The real welder charged $314 and put cross angle iron to tie the hangers together. He also found several cracks in the center of the I-beams and welded them. The small iron bars welded at a 45 degree angle at the bottom of the i-beam where the hangers are are meant to spread the stress, but as designed seem to just shift the stress point to the end of them. Should be a lot longer. It is at the ends of them and the internal cross beams tying the I-beams together that the I-beams were cracking. So keep an eye on those areas. I do not have pictures of the finished job.

IMG_1399.jpg IMG_1401.jpg IMG_1402.jpg

rocrider50

I am wondering if I should upgrade something at this point? Has anyone put shocks or air bags on the rig to soften the ride for the toys. It's leaf springs without dampening after all.

mlpeloquin

I am wondering if I should upgrade something at this point? Has anyone put shocks or air bags on the rig to soften the ride for the toys. It's leaf springs without dampening after all.

I put on the easy-rider-shocks. You can see them in the background. I have not had the cabinets, frig, or freezer open and dump stuff out since.

IMG_1399.jpg

mlpeloquin

Well I was wrong on the name. It is the Joy Rider Shock System purchased from Tweety's. Part number 200103. They were on sale at the time for $229.99 for the set. So shop around on line. Tweetie's price is now $499. It does not reduce the side stressed on the hangers or frame from turning though. I had to move/relocate the black iron propane six inches to allow clearance on the driver side. Not a hard job to do.

rdufek1

While I had a completely different problem with a axle hanger of mine falling off Dexter has an in expensive fix to reinforcing the frame and axle hangers which I had done, pics attached IMG_2459.jpg
dca685518f53c6c6ea0df85046cadbaf.jpg
b7bda0ea1499f7d52b31dc86982b8fca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocrider50

3. Include your VIN

Well Lippert has been responsive and I am expecting reimbursement for my expenses not confirmed yet). What I didn't know is that they have mobile crews to help customers in need and if I had called them first they would have fixed it for me on the road. Good thing to know and file away some where for the future. If yours needs help call their customer service hot line.

- - - Updated - - -

While I had a completely different problem with a axle hanger of mine falling off Dexter has an in expensive fix to reinforcing the frame and axle hangers which I had done, pics attached View attachment 58313
dca685518f53c6c6ea0df85046cadbaf.jpg
b7bda0ea1499f7d52b31dc86982b8fca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that Dexter has a fix for Lippert frames. Must be a very common issue.

WillyBill

Interesting that Dexter has a fix for Lippert frames. Must be a very common issue.[/QUOTE]

What I find interesting is that Lippert does not have someone doing this repair that is a decent welder! Obviously he's a "Wanna Be" type.:p

WB

(No offense to anybody in particular)

rocrider50

Interesting that Dexter has a fix for Lippert frames. Must be a very common issue.

What I find interesting is that Lippert does not have someone doing this repair that is a decent welder! Obviously he's a "Wanna Be" type.:p

WB

(No offense to anybody in particular)[/QUOTE]

I think the issue is the hangers themselves. I have seen the underside of many a vehicle, this does not look like something you put on a 20K GVW vehicle. They look more like my 1965 mustang hangers, even my 1956 PU is a forged or cast hanger. Serious reinforcement is needed.

pjones1969

Wow! Glad you are ok, that does not sound like fun at all, these 3800s are heavy.

I’m going to definitely check mine this weekend and plan to do some reinforcement as a preventative measure.

Gary521

Morryde has the X Factor to reinforce spring hangers and equalizer hangers. I think that this might help a lot. It may also help with those who have had their wet bolts to fail.