Desert Southwest Fall and California Trip

loganhughes

In mid-September we are heading to the desert southwest from our Dallas location. We plan to visit the Grand Canyon NP north and south rims and all the National Parks and Monuments in southern Utah along with Big Sur, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite National Parks, Monterey Bay, and San Francisco in California. I thought we would do I-40 on the way out along with the south rim of the Grand Canyon on the way to California. On the way back, we would do the southern Utah points on the return leg.

Any suggestions for trip routing, camping locations (including great boondocking spots), additional points of interest, etc. would be much appreciated. I'm figuring on 4 to 5 weeks total time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Loren1227

We live in the Bay Area and it's a couple hour drive to our favorite camp site Coloma Resort.

This is is the Gold discovery site on the American River and a very nice camp site.

Nice level spaces and clean restrooms with fabulous views and great weather.

It it is located on Hiway 50 near Placerville.

Lynn1130

Good Sam trip planner will help with routes and places to stay. Be aware that the North Rim closes, usually around 10/15 but weather can make that happen earlier.

wdk450

In mid-September we are heading to the desert southwest from our Dallas location. We plan to visit the Grand Canyon NP north and south rims and all the National Parks and Monuments in southern Utah along with Big Sur, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite National Parks, Monterey Bay, and San Francisco in California. I thought we would do I-40 on the way out along with the south rim of the Grand Canyon on the way to California. On the way back, we would do the southern Utah points on the return leg.

Any suggestions for trip routing, camping locations (including great boondocking spots), additional points of interest, etc. would be much appreciated. I'm figuring on 4 to 5 weeks total time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'll comment on some of the California locations, since I am a native Californian and lived most of my adult life in Northern and Central California. Big Sur is mostly famous for the magnificent ocean views on the way there. Coming from the South from Hearst's Castle you are looking at about 70 miles of 25 mph slow switchback road perched on vertical mountainsides 300 feet above the sea. Not advised for big 5th wheels, although big tour buses seem to travel it daily. Better access from the North from the Monterey area. Very limited RV sites in Big Sur for big rigs. Monterey area has limited RV sites, and is very pricey. The section of Seqouia with the General Sherman tree is at 7000 foot elevation, and has a steep and windy access road from the South. It might be better to find a RV site in the valley and day trip up to the tourist sites. BTW, it can be 30 degrees cooler than the valley up top. Nice when it is 100 degrees in the valley, but off summer months have some warm clothing! Yosemite is just getting over another huge fire nearby, fortunately very little damage to Yosemite lands, none to the main valley. LOTS of smoke during the fire (the park was closed for over a week). Your planned visit time will have the smallest water flows for the waterfalls of the yearly season. Best waterfalls with the snowmelt in May (and before the summer crowds start). Where to stay near San Francisco is a topic that comes up pretty regularly. Too much demand, too little supply. If it were me, I would look into parks on the coast South of SF, maybe Half Moon Bay, or even Santa Cruz. Lots of people get sucked into the "KOA San Francisco" and find out that it is in Petaluma, about 50 miles North nearer Santa Rosa, and involving a GG Bridge toll and traffic to visit the city. "The City" is too many people in too little space, accented by 7 steep hills. I would avoid driving an RV in San Francisco streets, freeways should be big enough.

Do your homework online in advance of the trip. I hope it all works well for you!!!

Oldelevatorman

We live in the Bay Area and it's a couple hour drive to our favorite camp site Coloma Resort.

This is is the Gold discovery site on the American River and a very nice camp site.

Nice level spaces and clean restrooms with fabulous views and great weather.

It it is located on Hiway 50 near Placerville.

It's actually on Hwy. 49, a few miles west of Hwy. 50! We are right down the road at the Ponderosa campground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogie

If you want to visit San Francisco, you can stay at the campground at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton. It's a decent location. It's about 40 miles southeast of San Francisco. From their, it's an easy access to BART (the mass transit system) that will take you right into the city. It's also a relatively easy drive to get into SF except at commute times. As already stated, I would think not twice, but three times before pulling a 5th wheel through San Francisco.

Also, we recently stayed at Lakside RV and Campground in Provo Utah. Found it to be a very nice park.

Loren1227

It's actually on Hwy. 49, a few miles west of Hwy. 50! We are right down the road at the Ponderosa campground!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you are correct it is on Hwy. 49.

We prefer to take the Shingle Road Ponderosa exit and go over the freeway and Right on Shingle Road and follow to Hwy. 49 and make a right and then a left across the bridge to the campsite.

Last edited:

loganhughes

If you want to visit San Francisco, you can stay at the campground at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton. It's a decent location. It's about 40 miles southeast of San Francisco. From their, it's an easy access to BART (the mass transit system) that will take you right into the city. It's also a relatively easy drive to get into SF except at commute times. As already stated, I would think not twice, but three times before pulling a 5th wheel through San Francisco.

Also, we recently stayed at Lakside RV and Campground in Provo Utah. Found it to be a very nice park.
Bogie, thanks for suggestion! We are at Alameda Cty Fairgrounds Campgrounds now. We drove into SF yesterday arriving at 7AM. I wouldn't have wanted to leave any later! We left little before 2PM. Again...good timing. Saw most of our highpoints. I would agree about not taking 5er into city. What a nightmare. When I stopped at intersections on some hill ascents, I could barely take off without wheel spin with the empty truck!

WDK450, we actually camped at Laguna Seca Raceway. It wasn't fancy but we'll maintained & worked well as our base. Thanks for your suggestions!

More questions...We plan on staying at friends in Groveland as our base for Yosemite. After 2 days in Yosemite, we plan to leave Groveland for Zion NP. We plan to take 120 to US-6. From there, not sure if we should continue on 6, to 375, to 93, to 168, I-15, and 9 to park or from US-6 at Tonopah take US-95, to I-15 north of Vegas.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. BTW...when it's on the way, we like to dry camp in BLM or National Forests. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bogie

I'm happy Pleasanton worked well for you. I hope you enjoyed your time in SF. It's a beautiful city.