water stinks n tastes bad

mjklm

Is there anything we can do to safely sanitize our fresh water system. We're new and could use all the wisdom of those more experienced.
Thanks,
mike

danemayer

The procedure for sanitizing the fresh tank is found on page 22 of our owner-written Water Systems Guide. That guide and others in the same folder may help you with common situations found in RV'ing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It also begs the question, are you using your water tank or connected to “city” water? And what is the quality of your water source? Beyond sanitizing, you may need to consider filtration if the quality of the source is questionable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
Is there anything we can do to safely sanitize our fresh water system. We're new and could use all the wisdom of those more experienced.
Thanks,
mike

To add. If you have a washer connection make sure you flush this out as well, I had a park model once and we had issues with this connection still having some antifreeze. RV antifreeze and chorine make some interesting smells and tastes.

RoadJunkie

Establishing fresh potable water takes a chain of proper procedure and maintenance. You have to start with a good source, bad in=bad out. Be sure you're using a good RV or marine hose that will not add a taste to your water; a garden hose, for example, would make your water taste like rubber, whatever that tastes like. I don't believe the hose is a good place to save money, get yourself a top notch, quality, hose! From there I would install a set of filters, sediment and charcoal stages are what I use. Before you fill your on-board water tank, always use a sterilization process. Some use a bleach solution (I think because it's readily available...and cheap), I use a commercial product that doesn't leave the residual odor of bleach. Fill you tank with whatever solution you decide on and let stand for the recommended period, typically 24 hours. Drain the water tank and you're ready to refill with fresh, filtered, water.

While we're talking tank maintenance, you will avoid smells from your grey and black water tanks by using similar maintenance techniques. Now this is where I do use bleach to try and kill bacteria in the waste tanks. We also pour a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar to pour down the drain traps on a regular basis.

It will also help if you drain your water heater when you don't plan to use your rig for an extend period of time.

mjklm

Establishing fresh potable water takes a chain of proper procedure and maintenance. You have to start with a good source, bad in=bad out. Be sure you're using a good RV or marine hose that will not add a taste to your water; a garden hose, for example, would make your water taste like rubber, whatever that tastes like. I don't believe the hose is a good place to save money, get yourself a top notch, quality, hose! From there I would install a set of filters, sediment and charcoal stages are what I use. Before you fill your on-board water tank, always use a sterilization process. Some use a bleach solution (I think because it's readily available...and cheap), I use a commercial product that doesn't leave the residual odor of bleach. Fill you tank with whatever solution you decide on and let stand for the recommended period, typically 24 hours. Drain the water tank and you're ready to refill with fresh, filtered, water.

While we're talking tank maintenance, you will avoid smells from your grey and black water tanks by using similar maintenance techniques. Now this is where I do use bleach to try and kill bacteria in the waste tanks. We also pour a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar to pour down the drain traps on a regular basis.

It will also help if you drain your water heater when you don't plan to use your rig for an extend period of time.

Thanks, that's what we're thinking of

Mrsfish

Thanks, that's what we're thinking of

fwiw- we recently did a clean of our whole system and used the Purogene that is mentioned in the water use guides. We were very, very pleased. No odor, no taste, easy to use. In fact I liked it so much I took it to work and cleaned the water bottle dispensers..imho, much,much better than the bleach method for your fresh tank.

cjb2283

I second the Purogene method. I used it on the trailer and water dispenser as well. Big difference, no more green slime! I have pics to prove it.