Problem with keeping furnace running

Winn369

I purchased a used 2011 Sundance 5th wheel. At the time it had no batteries in it but I wasn't concerned as I am hooked up to power. Now that winter is coming, the furnace won't stay on so I had batteries installed but they still won't keep the furnace going. When I charge the batteries, the furnace will come on. I will be living in this for the winter in Canada so I need to figure this out. When I use the furnace, the fridge stops working but it does come back after the furnace goes off. Also, the 12volt lights will flash. Could it be the Convertor?

danemayer

Hi Winn369,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I moved your post to its own thread in the 12V DC sub-forum.

If I understand your problem description:

• On shore power, with no battery installed, the furnace operation was intermittent.
  • Still on shore power, you installed a battery and the furnace ran ok for a while, but then stopped.
  • After you charged the battery (presumably with a standalone battery charger), the furnace ran again, for a while.
  • When the furnace does run, while it's running, the refrigerator stops working, but resumes working after the furnace is off
  • And your (interior?) 12V DC lights flash.

Before installing a battery, if you had the problem with the furnace, the refrigerator, and the lights, I would think the Power Converter is not putting out normal voltage. An easy way to check this while on shore power, while you're experiencing failure symptoms, is to press the test button on your Tank Monitor Panel. In addition to showing holding tank water levels, it also shows the voltage level of the 12V system. On shore power, you should always see 4 lights because it's reading the Power Converter output. If you see 3 or 2 lights, that would mean the voltage out of the Power Converter is low. One possible confusion factor would be if the battery is fully charged, you might see 4 lights for a while, then 3, then perhaps less as the battery discharges.

The Power Converter normally outputs 13.2V DC or higher if measured with a voltmeter, which you can do at the fuse box.

We have 2 owner-written guide you may find helpful. The 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide is here, and the Electrical User Guide is here.

Winn369

Thanks so much for the help.

We have looked threw everything and still can not find this converter. We did find that the 50amp double poll breaker was blown so we changed that and found another wire that was off in the panel. WE have looked under the stairs going up to the bedroom and bathroom but no converter. Would it be behind the panel? The converter did charge up the batteries briefly and quickly, but as soon as we turned the furnace on it stopped.

Thanks again for helping us newbies

danemayer

On larger trailers with pass through basement storage, the Power Converter is usually behind the rear wall of the basement storage. But I don't know if that's the case on your Sundance.

Also, some mid-size and smaller rigs have a combination power center that includes the 120V AC circuit breakers, 12V DC fuses, and the Power Converter. You might have that type.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Normally the converter is going to be behind the breaker/fuse panel. Pulled that panel out and look behind that.

Is this a 5th wheel or Travel trailer??