Need a way to check battery voltage

Fern

We have a 2018 sundance and I need a way to keep an eye on the battery voltage.
We dry camp mostly and my old camper had a 12 volt plug that I just connected a usb cigarette plug that displayed the voltage.
I have two 100 watt solar panels that replenish my batteries
Thought of maybe cutting a hole in the control panel where all my switches are and mounting a lcd display but not sure how I feel about that still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes it's hard to get ourselves to drill holes in our new campers but usually worth it in the end if it meets our needs.
You can buy a DC voltage meter for around ten bucks.

Peace
Dave

sengli

Bought a small round digital volt meter, and mounted it in my control center area. The voltage was already there with all the other wiring. Have done this on my big horn, and now my landmark. I dont have solar, but wanted to make sure my +12 was in good shape.

carl.swoyer

Sometimes it's hard to get ourselves to drill holes in our new campers but usually worth it in the end if it meets our needs.
You can buy a DC voltage meter for around ten bucks.

Peace
Dave
Dave
That me!
But eventually I did drill and modify.
My Landmark Rushmore is a 2012 and we have definitely modified over the years. Certainly cheaper than buying a new fifth wheel.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Fern

Just got back from the maiden voyage and was actually looking at using one of the blank switches to mount a tollgate switch and a digital monitor there.
Will just have to try and keep it looking clean

Oldelevatorman

Just got back from the maiden voyage and was actually looking at using one of the blank switches to mount a tollgate switch and a digital monitor there.
Will just have to try and keep it looking clean

Tollgate switch?

wdk450

Years ago I bought something like this for less than $3 (prices have risen some): https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-1...hash=item48c3be1f23:m:mfGFurlb6hbF8Ow0rJXewNg , although you can buy 10 of these DC digital voltmeters for less than $10 here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-Min...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I attached it to the lighting control panel just above the tanks monitor. I attached the +12 volts DC lead of the meter to one of the terminals of the tank monitor "test" switch that had +12 volts DC on the terminal when the test switch was pressed. I now have a digital voltage readout when the "test" button is pushed. If you are connected to shorepower you can turn off the battery charger/converter AC breaker before testing the battery system. Hopefully you have a cutoff switch for your solar system that you could likewise cut off while checking the battery system voltage.

jbeletti

Dave
That me!
But eventually I did drill and modify.
My Landmark Rushmore is a 2012 and we have definitely modified over the years. Certainly cheaper than buying a new fifth wheel.

I've seen in person, some of Carl's mods. Nicely modified :)

mlpeloquin

On my now former Big Horn, I added a current/voltage meter on the output of the converter. This gave me not only the converter health, but the battery voltage when the AC power was off. Plan carefully prior to cutting and it will come out clean.

IMG_1232.JPG

wdk450

On my now former Big Horn, I added a current/voltage meter on the output of the converter. This gave me not only the converter health, but the battery voltage when the AC power was off. Plan carefully prior to cutting and it will come out clean.

View attachment 63336

Great Mod!
This would also give you an idea of battery system health, as it would give you an idea of how much of a charge the battery system is routinely taking.

mlpeloquin

Great Mod!
This would also give you an idea of battery system health, as it would give you an idea of how much of a charge the battery system is routinely taking.

Designed the panel using Front Panel Design. Software is for MAC or PC. Easy to use and free.