Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prep for winter camping

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: Prep for winter camping

Quote Originally Posted by Partsbob View Post
    Iím glad to see this thread, as it brings up questions Iíve had about the same, so I hope you donít mind my piggy-backing on here. We bought a new Ď19 27RBDS Caliber about 4 months ago, allowing us a few chances to camp before winterizing it here in the NC mountains.
    This is our 1st Heartland product and Iíve been curious about how our TT is constructed in the basement to be ďpolar-readyĒ, since the owners manual doesnít give any description. I assumed it required the furnace to be running to provide heat passing through the space, but after reading this thread, I fear itís only a well-insulated space without any heat being applied? Obviously running the furnace while in storage isnít an option, so I hope somebody here can provide some information.
    The unit is always connected to a 30a circuit while in storage and I run a small ceramic heater inside set to 45-50 degrees to keep it from dropping too low, because we do have periods here below freezing, sometimes as low as 1 degree for a few days.
    The first thing to understand is that whatever marketing term is used, i.e. Polar Ready, or 4 Season, or Arctic, or anything else, manufacturers are usually talking about the ability to keep the interior at a comfortable temperature in cold weather. It generally is not a statement about keeping the water running, or about freeze protection for water tanks, water lines, or water fixtures. Our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide deals with the latter.

On trailers with a sealed underbelly, the furnace typically has a 2" duct that is stubbed out in the underbelly. So running the furnace does force some warm air into the underbelly. But the sealed underbelly is not completely sealed. There are always openings. So in my experience, you can keep the underbelly 10-15 degrees (F) above ambient, with standard features.

If you use a space heater instead of the furnace, the underbelly will be close to ambient temperature.

If the trailer is in storage, you should winterize. If you're using the trailer in sub-freezing weather, you should take the additional measures necessary to prevent freeze damage and to keep water running.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

2. Print this Post   #12

Thanks for the tips on my questions and, rest assured, I carefully winterize and I am fortunate I have not had to learn the hard way. Your description of the construction is what I expected, but glad to hear at least itís getting some heat from the furnace when itís on.

3. Print this Post   #13

Quote Originally Posted by Partsbob View Post
    The unit is always connected to a 30a circuit while in storage and I run a small ceramic heater inside set to 45-50 degrees to keep it from dropping too low, because we do have periods here below freezing, sometimes as low as 1 degree for a few days.
    Bob, I would suggest putting a heat lamp in the area behind the UDC to keep the plumbing in that area warm. We full-time in our rig and, while we winter in South MS we still get some days below freezing, have a small box made out of foam insulation around our water spigot which has a 40w incandescent lamp in it. I also have a small heat lamp with a 60w incandescent bulb in it. I used to keep these lights lit all the time when we were going to be away from the rig for an extended period of time in case the temp dropped below freezing, (wasted electricity often.) I now use a Thermo-Cube outlet which turns on when the temp drops below 35 degrees F and turns off above 45 degrees F. I keep these outlets outside the heated areas so they aren't constantly turning on/off. I found ours in a local hardware store but they are available on the internet. I also have our short water connection hose wrapped in foam insulation with a thermostatically controlled heat tape enclosed.

Having said the above, if you don't winterize your rig to somewhat, these measures won't protect all your plumbing just the main area.

Hope this helps. Lou
    Lou and Bette - R.I.P. Milo (the Maltese) we will miss him
    2013 F450
    (2011 Road Warrior 405rw - traded in)
    2015 Big Horn 3570RS
    (2009 Ultra Red Hot Sunglow/Dusky Gold - traded in)
    2015 Street Glide Superior Blue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2