Shade RV.com

Dmetcalf

Just wondering if anyone out there has sent his product and tried it ..? I met some folks that have one on their fifth wheel and they absolutely love it..! I called and spoke to the owner of the company that makes them and he convinced me try one so I ordered one. I’ll report back after I tried it for a bit. Just throwing thus out to see if anyone else has seen or heard about this product

Matt750

I’ve never seen that before, but looks interesting. Let us know how it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmetcalf

I’ve never seen that before, but looks interesting. Let us know how it works out!

Did you take a look at the video testimonials on their website ..? I am very hopeful and excited that this product will work as well as everyone (that I have talked to) has said it would.

Fox

Great idea, but I don't believe you'll catch me up on the roof (not once but twice per camping experience).
And then the price, nearly $1200 (+$95 shipping) for a 42' long roof tent?

YMMV.

Dmetcalf

Great idea, but I don't believe you'll catch me up on the roof (not once but twice per camping experience).
And then the price, nearly $1200 (+$95 shipping) for a 42' long roof tent?

YMMV.

Tes, I certainly agree and understand that. We are retiring in 11 months and we want to make any high dollar purchases prior to that. We plan on going full time after we retire so I’m hoping thus will come in handy and protect the roof and save us money on electric usage.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I saw this product at an RV park that we were at last year. I didn't talk to the owners about them but they looked interesting.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So I guess you can’t use a roof mounted satellite or crank-arm antenna, or use solar panels on the roof with this thing deployed?

Not sure I trust the wind resistance either. A flag will eventually tear up not from one strong gust, bit lots of different speeds of wind over time.

I think a roof coating might be a better solution. Dicor’s CoolCoat says it’s lab proven to reduce heat flux transfer from the roof of your RV to the interior of your RV by 29%. (I don’t know, I haven’t used this product, just read about it.)

Dmetcalf

So I guess you can’t use a roof mounted satellite or crank-arm antenna, or use solar panels on the roof with this thing deployed?

Not sure I trust the wind resistance either. A flag will eventually tear up not from one strong gust, bit lots of different speeds of wind over time.

I think a roof coating might be a better solution. Dicor’s CoolCoat says it’s lab proven to reduce heat flux transfer from the roof of your RV to the interior of your RV by 29%. (I don’t know, I haven’t used this product, just read about it.)

You have a very valid point in reference to the crank up antenna and solar panels.! Mine has the stationary type tv antenna (it only turns). Now I do have a small solar panel on my roof so I guess I’ll see how much that affects the efficiency of that .. stay tuned and I’ll report back. The Dicor product is another great idea ..! I didn’t look into that maybe I should have. Not sure about the price for our 41ft. 10 in. Roof area .?

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Googling pricing for CoolCoat, it’s about $90 a gallon. They say coverage is 125ft per gallon, but you also must do a pretreatment, so there’s a little more than just the CoolCoat. You’ll also need time, plastic and tape to protect things, rollers, etc. but for me a passive solution would be better than getting up on the roof every time you need to set the rv shade up or tear it down.

Edit: I’m having my roof replaced with FlexArmor due to hail damage, but I was seriously contemplating the CoolCoat. We plan to use it on the slide roofs.

Dmetcalf

Googling pricing for CoolCoat, it’s about $90 a gallon. They say coverage is 125ft per gallon, but you also must do a pretreatment, so there’s a little more than just the CoolCoat. You’ll also need time, plastic and tape to protect things, rollers, etc. but for me a passive solution would be better than getting up on the roof every time you need to set the rv shade up or tear it down.

Edit: I’m having my roof replaced with FlexArmor due to hail damage, but I was seriously contemplating the CoolCoat. We plan to use it on the slide roofs.

Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, we will be setting up for a month at a time or maybe longer depending on the location so I thought this would help us control our electric cost a bit and also protect the roof from any damage if we get caught in some hail (I really hope we don't)…! I agree that climbing up and down isn't the most ideal but I will normally get up there to make sure my slides are cleaned off before I pull them in also. This cover cost me $1200. and change. It has a 10 year guarantee with it and I have talked to some folks that have had one for 2 years and they said it has stood up to high winds and some hail with no issue. Said the hail bounces right off. I figure I'll go ahead and try it and see if it works as well as they all say it does and down the road, well who knows I might try something different.

But, I will report back after we are retired and using it. I will absolutely not be using it for long weekends. I'm not that crazy ...

NYSUPstater

Is there a web site for the "RV Tent" mentioned by OP? Have never seen or heard about it.

Tiger, it will be interesting to hear back from you after you get the FlexArmour put on. I know there is another company/product which is supposed to be the same---kinda, but would really like to see before/after pics and how well it works. Based on product info, sounds like it's strong, durable and main thing is, how it works overall. Easy to clean and maintain VS factory roofing? Being white, reduced power consumption? Added weight?? Before getting our BC 3 years ago (MAN TIME FLIES), thought about doing the same as you w/ old coach.

wdk450

I had this stuff applied by a commercial RV service firm. Just pressure wash and mask as prep, apply 1 coat, job done in about 4 hours. Vendor charged $22 a foot. They bought direct from Amazon (I saw the boxes): https://www.amazon.com/Henry-HE887H...589294186&sprefix=henrys+tropi,aps,303&sr=8-4

See my post #3 in this thread:
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/77766-Rubber-Roof-Sealant-Type

Dmetcalf

I had this stuff applied by a commercial RV service firm. Just pressure wash and mask as prep, apply 1 coat, job done in about 4 hours. Vendor charged $22 a foot. They bought direct from Amazon (I saw the boxes): https://www.amazon.com/Henry-HE887H...589294186&sprefix=henrys+tropi,aps,303&sr=8-4

See my post #3 in this thread:
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/77766-Rubber-Roof-Sealant-Type

Pretty interesting conversation here … How well has that product held up so far ..? Have you noticed any change in your electricity usage in the warmer temps ..?

Thanks for the information ...

NYSUPstater

wdk,

Does the Henry stuff need to be applied indoors for best results? On your coach, did the power wash current roof or mop/ Spic-n-Span? Does it aid in reducing black streaks? Aid w/ tree scrapes and hail like tiger experienced? Won't get ripped/torn like EDPM material?

TravelTiger

Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, we will be setting up for a month at a time or maybe longer depending on the location so I thought this would help us control our electric cost a bit and also protect the roof from any damage if we get caught in some hail (I really hope we don't)…! I agree that climbing up and down isn't the most ideal but I will normally get up there to make sure my slides are cleaned off before I pull them in also. This cover cost me $1200. and change. It has a 10 year guarantee with it and I have talked to some folks that have had one for 2 years and they said it has stood up to high winds and some hail with no issue. Said the hail bounces right off. I figure I'll go ahead and try it and see if it works as well as they all say it does and down the road, well who knows I might try something different.

But, I will report back after we are retired and using it. I will absolutely not be using it for long weekends. I'm not that crazy ...

I missed the part where you said you have one on order! I will be looking forward to your feedback. I have seen this product in person at an rv show but due to high sustained winds we see in West Texas and some pretty nasty storms, we didn’t think it was feasible. I hope it works out for you. My CoolCoat comments were for those considering this product... that there might be a passive solution for cooler temps and some added protection from damage.

Dmetcalf

I missed the part where you said you have one on order! I will be looking forward to your feedback. I have seen this product in person at an rv show but due to high sustained winds we see in West Texas and some pretty nasty storms, we didn’t think it was feasible. I hope it works out for you. My CoolCoat comments were for those considering this product... that there might be a passive solution for cooler temps and some added protection from damage.

I spoke to the owner of the company that manufactures these (his name is TC). He said these have been out long enough to be tested in different types of weather and he posted on his website they will withstand 70 mph winds and that was from a client of his that informed him the winds were sustained at 70 mph and it never moved. That's some pretty high wind and I hope to never experience that personally but here in Texas you just never know what the wind might blow in....

TravelTiger

Is there a web site for the "RV Tent" mentioned by OP? Have never seen or heard about it.

Tiger, it will be interesting to hear back from you after you get the FlexArmour put on. I know there is another company/product which is supposed to be the same---kinda, but would really like to see before/after pics and how well it works. Based on product info, sounds like it's strong, durable and main thing is, how it works overall. Easy to clean and maintain VS factory roofing? Being white, reduced power consumption? Added weight?? Before getting our BC 3 years ago (MAN TIME FLIES), thought about doing the same as you w/ old coach.

NYUPstater,

Here’s some pics from Flex Armor website. They spray on, in their shop only. Supposed to resist hail and cover every possible seam so no more roof maintenance needed. No more black streaks. It’s the thickness of three quarters stacked together. It starts out grey, then they add a standard white top coat to it. They can add color to the corner radius for about $200, so it looks tan (or whatever color you want) from the ground. They said it will add about 150lbs.

b130770b38c12f0dd54d90b64eb0e352.png

15167fc69e942a2ddebff69c27453016.png

Piperflyer

NYUPstater,

Here’s some pics from Flex Armor website. They spray on, in their shop only. Supposed to resist hail and cover every possible seam so no more roof maintenance needed. No more black streaks. It’s the thickness of three quarters stacked together. It starts out grey, then they add a standard white top coat to it. They can add color to the corner radius for about $200, so it looks tan (or whatever color you want) from the ground. They said it will add about 150lbs.

Do you want to say what that costed you to have the Flex Armor done?

TravelTiger

Do you want to say what that costed you to have the Flex Armor done?

PiperFlyer,

I am having the roof paid for by insurance. In the Denton, Tx location they quoted $185 per linear foot. Different locations may charge a different rate.

BTW, their quote was less than a traditional rubber roof install.

wdk450

wdk,

Does the Henry stuff need to be applied indoors for best results? On your coach, did the power wash current roof or mop/ Spic-n-Span? Does it aid in reducing black streaks? Aid w/ tree scrapes and hail like tiger experienced? Won't get ripped/torn like EDPM material?

Lets see if I can answer both sets of questions here: I truly believe that the RV interior is much cooler. It felt cold to my hands when I went on the roof a few days post application to remove the masking tape in 70 degree sunny weather. Before, in the same weather, I would have to put rags under my hands because of the roof heat. I don't use measured electricity, so I can't measure things that way, but I know my AC daily run time is much less than before. Read the thread I linked to again about prep and installation. This was applied outdoors at my RV site in So. Ca. Just fresh water pressure wash, mask, and 1 coat which dried in a few hours. I can't make much of a call about black streaks, but I can say that it makes the rainwater bead up like a good car wax job, so maybe the water wouldn't have time to grow the mold for the black streaks. I have read that you can apply some of the coating to new roof "wounds" as a sealant/repair, or use Eternabond. It will probably rip or tear if a tree limb is pulled through it, a it is like a silicone rubber thicker, slicker, membrane.

Here is a link to the Henrys webpage on their product: https://henry.com/retail/white-roof-coatings/887-tropi-cool-100-silicone-white-roof-coating