09 Fall Rally Agenda & Notices

Hudson

Food answers

Some people are still asking what they should bring for dinners. Here is the deal. The food matrices are finished.

Most people replied to our initial survey by the (unspoken) deadline. I sent those people an email with specific details of dish type, dish size, dish name, a recipe (if requested), and which night. We are pleased that almost everyone got exactly what they requested. (Some who volunteered to cook both nights were given both nights in the same email. The rest were asked to bring a beverage or specific item, such as ice.) If you got one of those emails, that is all you are asked to bring. Anything else you wish to bring will be enjoyed and appreciated by all.

People who did not send back an answer in time were sent email saying where are you? Some answered, later. It's okay really, some people check email often, others don't. I hope none of those people feel like anything went wrong, they were just OBE. These people were sent an email saying, please bring a double size dish of whatever you want to one meal and a couple 2-liter bottles of soda to the other night. I hope I said, please pick something Hawaiian/Tiki/Polynesian, if possible (my apologies if I forgot to). I asked those people to email me back what night they're cooking and what they're bringing. Some of those have emailed me back (thank you!).

Then there are a bunch of people who joined the rally after the food matrices were finished. Gus told them I'd email them about the food. Here's the message to all of you: please pick one night (Friday or Saturday) and pick a dish that's Hawaiian, Polynesian, luau oriented. It's amazing what you find if you google:
(hawaiian OR polynesian OR luau OR aloha) (cooking OR food OR recipe)
Make a double batch of that and bring it on the night you've chosen. On the other night (the night you don't cook), bring a beverage (whatever you like) -- two 2-liter bottles of soda or a gallon of tea, or a half gallon of fruit juice. If you can, please send me email telling which night you're cooking and what you're bringing. This is basically the same thing I asked the folks who missed the first deadline for whatever reason.

If everyone in the first group makes what they were asked to make, in the quantity requested, for the night requested, and if they also bring the other specific thing we asked, then from those people we will have everything critical (forks, ice, etc.) for each night. They are not bringing enough to feed everyone, but they are making sure both nights are a proper dinner and everything we really need is there.

Those few who are picking their night to cook and their dish will be "rounding it all out" making sure the total amount of food and beverages is enough. The only way this could turn out badly is if all the "your choice" people choose the same night to cook or all of them choose dessert. ["Survey says: Pineapple Upside Down cake was the #1 answer for 'what people initially volunteered to bring.'"]

andy

fuel stop

anyone have info about good (with room to maneuver) diesel stops on 460 around petersburg or suffolk? we have not travel this way in a long time and any suggestions are much appreciated.
thanks for your help.:)
jim there is two stations one each side of the road coming into suffolk about 300yds before you get to the suffolk bypass that should be easy to get into. both sell diesel

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Jim,

As you come down 460, just past the junction of Rt. 460 and I-295, near Petersburg, there is an East Coast on your right and Hess on your left. Both are large "truck-stop" fuel stations. And as Andy has said, in Suffolk just before the junction of Rt. 460 and the Rt. 58 By-pass there is a Citgo on the right and an BP ?? (might be Exxon, I'm not sure) on your left. Both have truck bays for diesel.

Keith

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The Burnhams and the Walizers want to know if we are the only ones who have travel trailers.

Roger,

By my count there are 7 North Trails coming. Now, I believe North Trail has a 5th wheel model, but I don't know if any of the North Trails are 5th wheel or not. I believe most of them are Travel Trailers.

Gus

Hudson

Other meals

I went to edit the announcement about the two breakfasts and found ... I never posted it (oops, sorry).

Besides the two dinners, there are other meals too.

Breakfast Saturday morning is pot luck. Bring food to share (anything from breakfast casserole to store-bought danish) and bring a beverage for yourself. Dave will have a coffee machine and might be talked into fixing a pot. This is regular pot luck ... bring whatever you want to bring.

Breakfast Sunday morning is just bring your own breakfast. Some people will be checking out that morning so pot luck is too much mess. BTW, on Sunday there is a sunrise service before our breakfast, led by our Paul Nelson. The campground also offers its own service after our breakfast time in their office on the ocean side ... they serve danishes and coffee. Both services are non-denominational.

Lunch is on your own each day.

Outside of the rally times meals are rather loosely coordinated...

For dinner on Thursday night many of us are going to Uncle Pauly's restaurant just down the street ... Tracy and I have eaten there and so have some others in the group. It's the best place around. They are expecting anywhere from 20 to 50 of us so this is a great night to go.

For Sunday night, Gus has been telling me about how he and his "seafood team" want to do a crab and shrimp cookout. Due to the cost of these things, there will be a charge for this but it sounds like a great deal. Gus can give more details about this one.

On Thursday and/or Sunday many of us will be in Ocracoke. There is a great place to get breakfast on the way to the ferry and I personally plan to spend lunchtime with a pitcher on the rooftop of Howard's.

Hudson

Oh we don't discriminate against travel trailer people. Most of us 5ers had travel trailers at one time anyway. It's those toy hauler people we keep an eye on ... some of them people are motorcycle people ... and some of 'em have those loud scary four wheel ATVs in there. You can't be too sure about those people. But the scariest of all of them are the ones with sea-doo wave-runners in there, those are the ones you want to watch ... ya gotta follow them to the boat ramp and watch when they launch 'em.

Just kidding, but do take videos of toy haulers at the boat ramp because AFV will show that.

boatto5er

Oh we don't discriminate against travel trailer people. Most of us 5ers had travel trailers at one time anyway. It's those toy hauler people we keep an eye on ... some of them people are motorcycle people ... and some of 'em have those loud scary four wheel ATVs in there. You can't be too sure about those people. But the scariest of all of them are the ones with sea-doo wave-runners in there, those are the ones you want to watch ... ya gotta follow them to the boat ramp and watch when they launch 'em.

Just kidding, but do take videos of toy haulers at the boat ramp because AFV will show that.

It's us former Boaters that take a real beating!:D

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
It's us former Boaters that take a real beating!:D

Gus, just remember a few very important differences from backing a boat into the slip and backing a trailer into a site.

1. No amount of fenders are going to help you "bounce" off of anything with a trailer.

2. You cannot pivot a trailer off a pier.

3. There is no port and stbd engine on your TV. Just two wheels-thats it.

4. Most important-there is no current to blame for missing the site.

Hope reviewing these simple rules help.:D

boatto5er

Gus, just remember a few very important differences from backing a boat into the slip and backing a trailer into a site.

1. No amount of fenders are going to help you "bounce" off of anything with a trailer. No, but they do cushion the blow a little!

2. You cannot pivot a trailer off a pier. However, trees make great pivot points.:eek:

3. There is no port and stbd engine on your TV. Just two wheels-thats it. But backing up in 4 wheel low can be an interesting experience.

4. Most important-there is no current to blame for missing the site. Just DW's directions!:rolleyes:

Hope reviewing these simple rules help.:D

My simple rule of the road - "If it's in the way, just run over it."

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
John, :eek: quick get the truck away from the road. Gus will be here this afternoon. He runs over things that get in his way!