#1 waste holding tank

lilriver

After getting my 5er back from the dealer, but while at the dealer I checked the systems to see if the dealer had left any water in my waste tanks The main waste tank said it was 2/3 full, while at the dealer we tried to dump it but it was empty. When I made it home and parked my trailer, I crawed under the trailer to inspect their work. Then I found that the main black tank looked like it was pushing down against the plastic skirting and there was a smell in the trailer. I didn't think much about it. Now 5 days later and having someone stay in 5er I have water coming from the black tank and it smells like sewer outside of the trailer.Now I have to take it back to the dealer and find out why my waste tank is leaking.

rebootsemi

After getting my 5er back from the dealer, but while at the dealer I checked the systems to see if the dealer had left any water in my waste tanks The main waste tank said it was 2/3 full, while at the dealer we tried to dump it but it was empty. When I made it home and parked my trailer, I crawed under the trailer to inspect their work. Then I found that the main black tank looked like it was pushing down against the plastic skirting and there was a smell in the trailer. I didn't think much about it. Now 5 days later and having someone stay in 5er I have water coming from the black tank and it smells like sewer outside of the trailer.Now I have to take it back to the dealer and find out why my waste tank is leaking.

Sounds like typical dealer don't care service or I should say lack of service. Why is it that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself or pull up a chair and watch the dealer do what they are tasked to do???

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

The tank pushing down on the underbelly is probably not the black tank, but one of the gray water tanks (they're all black plastic). If it's in the front of the rig, it's the Gray #1 tank for the shower and lavatory sink. It also holds the washer/dryer, if you have one in the nose. The toilet tank (aka. black tank) is usually suspended above this tank and cannot contact the underbelly unless it falls from its mounting. Back near the axles is Gray #2, or galley tank, which holds the water from the kitchen sink.

The galley tank, Gray #2, will eventually have a sewage smell due to the decomposing food matter that gets in there. Gray #1, no so much.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you leave the gray tanks valves open many times you will get a 'sewer' smell inside the RV. The galley tank will smell worse than the black tank if not flushed properly. It is best to leave the gray tank valves closed to keep the sewer smell in the sewer.