12 volt landing gear not working

tbhrose

Having trouble with our landing gear on our 2009 BigHorn 3670RL. When connected to 120 AC, the motor works fine. Landing gear raises and lowers. Disconnected from 120 AC, the 12 volt side does nothing. Had the battery "Load Tested" and it's fine. Holding 12.7 volts as well. Checked the fuses in the 12 volt panel all are fine.
Did have the drive leg replaced by local dealer three weeks ago he said he had to "Re-wire" the switch. I'm not trusting the electrical repair a whole lot now. Any ideas of what to check? I've looked online for a schematic, but no luck. Have I missed a fuse? Any help would be appreciated.

jnbhobe

This is something simple!! Are all your wires hooked up right? Sounds like a wire missing on the battery. When connected to 120 AC power could be coming from the converter.Thats my first thoughts.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not an expert here but it seems to me if it works while plugged into 110/120 whatever it takes, it should work off of the battery as well as long as the battery is up. As you've said, it is.
There is a set of 5 or 6 breakers on the wall near the battery, They are covered with red insulation on the terminal lugs. On some units, one of these is the breaker for the landing gear motor. On others, I've heard rumor of an inline plug in type fuse. Still though, if there was a bad fuse or breaker, it wouldn't work on 110.

Unless the landing gear motor isn't wired through the converter. In that case there should be a tripped breaker. There are little buttons on the side of those breakers. Feel for one sticking out and reset it if you find one. You should be able to trace the wiring from the motor, through the switch and back to the breaker. If I'm off base here, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of that system will let us know.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Attached is a PDF that may help you. I don't understand why they would have to rewire the switch to change the motor.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• pk_specs_and_installation.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 53

tbhrose

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I didn't understand why the switch had to be touched either and still don't believe it to be a necessary part of the repair. Unless of course they broke something while repairing the leg they bent while moving it into winter storage. Our Bighorn will not be returning to this dealer for storage ever. When I can get over to the trailer, I'll try tracing the wires back to the battery. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you need a new switch, let me know. I pulled mine out when I changed to the Ground Control jacks.

tbhrose

Yes, when disconnected from shore power, I have plenty of 12 volt lights etc. I expected to not have any, but I do. I'm really thinking I have a short in the "Re-wired" switch somewhere. Thanks to Dave, I have a wiring map now to be somewhat confident when looking at the back of the switch.

TedS

After rewiring the switch, the dealer may not have reconnected the battery to the system. The converter would still be connected, but also not charging the battery. Check the battery connection to the bank of circuit breakers.

edit: Did the landing gear work on battery when you picked up the trailer?

tbhrose

Yes, the trailer did work on 12 volt when I picked it up at the dealer. However, when I got it home, just 10 miles later, before connecting to 110, it didn't work.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, the trailer did work on 12 volt when I picked it up at the dealer. However, when I got it home, just 10 miles later, before connecting to 110, it didn't work.

That sounds like a connector came off the back of the switch or one of the wire nuts in the system came loose. When I removed my jacks, I did not find any inline fuses, either.

tbhrose

I was suspect of the wire nuts. Would it be wise to crimp on "Spade" type connectors instead? Never used wire nuts on any 12 volt connections myself.

TedS

I thought about replacing some wire nuts with crimp connectors, but decided the ease of disconnecting for repair changed my mind. Now I just make sure they are made up correctly and tight.

tbhrose

Well I was able to go over to the "New" storage location and follow the landing leg wiring to to sets of wire nuts. One set at the motor on the drive leg the other, at the pigtail coming out of the landing leg switch. Checked for power from battery to pigtail and was there. Pressed the switch to "Raise" and checked at the landing leg motor. No voltage present. Proceeded to take the switch (recentlly replaced by dealer for some unknown reason) and gently re-seated all 6 spade connecters. Tested for voltage on the feed to the switch, it was there. Re-taped around the switch spade connectors and taped all four wire nut connections.
Landing gear is now working. My obvious problem was the switch connections under the shrink wrap. Thanks for everyone's help on this one, you guys are great.!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, here's something to ponder. Go to an auto parts house and get some dielectric grease. Remove all of the connectors that can get corrosion on them and put the grease on them. I even put it on the trailer plug to the TV. Works wonders for stopping green fuzzy terminals.

Snakebite

Glad to hear that you got it working... Just for info, my 5th wheel has a 30 amp fuse mounted in an "inline" fuse holder. It is in the back of the front compartment on the drivers side. It was pointed out to me when I picked up the unit for the first time........ boy, I'm glad he pointed it out because I would have had a very hard time finding it.

Snakebite