13 feet 3 inches of tree tearing height

rocrider50

Well my new Cyclone 3800 is 13 feet 3 inches tall, a number I won't soon forget. My old trailer was 11 feet 2 inches, 2 feet taller. Went to cover it for the winter and found several items broken, knocked off or cut including the corner of the roof front to back. Apparently one of my tree branches destroyed the top, older 11'2" camper always cleared them. The insurance estimate is >$8,000 for a new roof and other items. They recommend Camping world fix it locally, any thoughts?

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
After reading the numerous NEGATIVE reviews of Camping World Service Departments (from different locations around the country), I would check the reviews of the service department and see if there is another RV service/repair center that rates better before committing to CW. Just sayin....

Oregon_Camper

I'd call Heartland and find another local shop to fix the roof. Horror story after horror story of Camping World and their inability to fix anything.

HornedToad

I drug a tree branch from the front to back of my Torque trailer in March of 2013. It tore through in two spots over each door and scored the fabric all they way down. At the time it was damaged I repaired it with a Dicor 12" X 25' strip.

I had the trailer for another year without any problems and when I went to sell it I got an estimate / check for $5000 from my insurance company for the damage. I sold the trailer and offered the buyer a $5000 discount off the price with the damage or a new roof. He bought the trailer AS IS in March of 2014. He parks next to me at the storage yard and we'll run into each other from time to time... To date he has not had any issues with the roof repair. The picture with the Travl'er antenna is about a year after it was sold, two years after the damage.

Attachments

• Roof 1.jpg
    Roof 1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Roof 2.jpg
    Roof 2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Trav'ler mount 1.jpg
    Trav'ler mount 1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 253

rjr6150

Same thoughts as the others run as fast as you can from CW. Had an experience years ago with our first HL never again.

jbeletti

Sorry to hear about your RV's encounter with your tree. Just a note - the Heartland Service Center does not do insurance work/jobs - so that's not an option.

A lot of people have been talking about RV Armor. I have no personal experience with it but could be something to look at.

hboy1

I would probably rather do it myself than CW.

That said, first I would keep the insurance check. Patch the roof. Then take my time looking for a new roof down the road.

If the insurance wants to cut the check to the repair shop, ask them to write the check to you personally. I've seem many a roof patch that works for a long time.

Just my $0.02.

been there. have a big country. rip 36' out of 38'. 8500.00. make sure to have them do total tear down and replace. our came out great. had a dealer in buffalo ny do ours.

rocrider50

Sorry to hear about your RV's encounter with your tree. Just a note - the Heartland Service Center does not do insurance work/jobs - so that's not an option.

A lot of people have been talking about RV Armor. I have no personal experience with it but could be something to look at.

A bit frustrated here

Does anyone know of a good dealer in Michigan that I could go too? Mine doesn't return my calls, all the service employees apparently quit and I'm at a loss where to go. Sales women that sold me the RV 4 weeks ago is zero help. Heartland just tells me to go to the dealer, round and round we go. It's too big to fix myself. Wishing I had bought something else, like a Forest river at least the General RV dealer would fix it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry about your issue, but what does HL have to do with getting it repaired? HL has nothing to do with what a dealer does. RV dealers are not controlled by a RV manufacturer like car dealers are. The torn roof was not caused by HL. Call HL back and see if they can find you an independent RV repair shop near you. Won't General RV do the repairs??? If not, why not, it's not warranty work. It's cash in their pocket. JMHO

jbeletti

A bit frustrated here

Does anyone know of a good dealer in Michigan that I could go too? Mine doesn't return my calls, all the service employees apparently quit and I'm at a loss where to go. Sales women that sold me the RV 4 weeks ago is zero help. Heartland just tells me to go to the dealer, round and round we go. It's too big to fix myself. Wishing I had bought something else, like a Forest river at least the General RV dealer would fix it.

Any dealer that has the capability to repair/replace roofs should make your candidate list. Everything on the roof, including the membrane is generic and is not specific to Heartland.

You can use General RV for your insurance covered repair if you wish.

MikeR

Well my new Cyclone 3800 is 13 feet 3 inches tall, a number I won't soon forget. My old trailer was 11 feet 2 inches, 2 feet taller. Went to cover it for the winter and found several items broken, knocked off or cut including the corner of the roof front to back. Apparently one of my tree branches destroyed the top, older 11'2" camper always cleared them. The insurance estimate is >$8,000 for a new roof and other items. They recommend Camping world fix it locally, any thoughts?

A&SRV(spacebarisnotworking)A&S-RV-in-Auburn-Hills-has-done-work-for-me-in-the-past.-I-would-recommend-them.

rocrider50

Sorry about your issue, but what does HL have to do with getting it repaired? HL has nothing to do with what a dealer does. RV dealers are not controlled by a RV manufacturer like car dealers are. The torn roof was not caused by HL. Call HL back and see if they can find you an independent RV repair shop near you. Won't General RV do the repairs??? If not, why not, it's not warranty work. It's cash in their pocket. JMHO
a
HL shouldn't give a franchise to a dealer who doesn't have a service department! A car company would yank the dealers franchise if they couldn't do service and wouldn't return calls. Now they don't have to have a collision shop, but they should have a service desk to call and find out. No one can get a hold of them, not even my salesman. I talked to Rich at the local Camping world, he said he has worked in the collision shop for 28 years (record I think) and dealers send work to him because he is so good. Allstate tells me they recommend him because they don't get return complaints, like they do with dealers. Here we go with camping world.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
space bar issue is known...just type one letter...hit return and start again. Then space bar will work.

This only occurs if you are 'quoting' someone.

What I've been doing is highlighting the quote, then hitting 'CTRL C', then hit back space while the quote is still highlighted, then once I've typed my post, then going back to the top and then do a 'CTRL V' to past the quote back at the top of the posting.

However, I will say that this time I didn't have to do this . . . maybe the problem is fixed!

Oregon_Camper

This only occurs if you are 'quoting' someone.

What I've been doing is highlighting the quote, then hitting 'CTRL C', then hit back space while the quote is still highlighted, then once I've typed my post, then going back to the top and then do a 'CTRL V' to past the quote back at the top of the posting.

However, I will say that this time I didn't have to do this . . . maybe the problem is fixed!
That seems like a lot more effort then just typing one letter and hitting the return key....but if it works for you.. :) :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk