15 Amp Inlet for 2017 Torque 321 Garage

weekender01

I am seeking advice so I hope someone has experience doing what I amlooking to do.

We want to add a 15 amp inlet to feed the garage area of our 2017Torque 321 so we can run a portable AC unit in the garage during the summersince the other AC units (2) will not keep up in the heat. With the inlet installed we can run an extensioncord off the campground power post 20 amp circuit and not add anymore amps to the campers50 amp circuit (don’t want to overload when running so many things). Currently we have run an extension cord upbetween the big garage door and the frame of the camper, but it is a very tightfit when the door is closed and really pinches the extension cord.

I even thought about putting the inletunderneath and putting the outlet in the floor, but the garage floor is notthick enough to do this so I would have to box it in underneath somehow. I am also still trying to figure out how toget into the side wall to pull wire since the underneath has some wrap aroundmetal that blocks my access.

I hope this makes sense. Justwant to add a separate inlet instead of running the additional AC through thecamper 50 amp circuit. Thanks for anyfeedback.

weekender01

I 100% agree and is why I prefer not to mount the outlet in the floor. I bought that exact type inlet, but am trying to determine where mount it as well and how to access the wall. That is m challenge.

Appreciate your feedback.

porthole

Retired
'IF' I was to do this with our Cyclone I would add a 30amp RV or marine inlet and get a 30 amp cord.

Something like this
This is just one example of many different types and they are available at less cost then shown here.
Inlets like this are available in 15, 30 and 50 amp sizes.

Install the inlet through the wall and have a receptacle box mounted on the inside.

You could have the inlet and inside box mounted back to back.

Or, mount the inlet somewhere near the areas you can access near the fuel pump door or tires. The body panels at the tires have a plastic blocker that is easily removed.
One the wires from the inlet up through the floor next to the wall and use grey PVC to a box.

One example of outlets I added to the garage (power is coming from the main panel).
I have added 3 receptacle boxes in the garage like this (2 different 20 amp circuits)

If you add 30 amp you can always use a dog bone adapter to get to 20 amp. And you will have the advantage of 30 if available and a bigger gauge cable as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Some additional Amazon choices

An Amazon 15 amp inlet

Many boaters use the 2nd plug to add on board battery chargers to boats. I have e=used them on several boats over the last 15 years.

weekender01

Thanks porthole for the feedback. This is very helpful. I am still undecided what is best for me, but all the feedback helps me decide once I have some time to look and evaluate inside the garage.

Mattman

Just throwing this idea if it will work for you. Drill a hole in the floor right next to the wall. Attach a short piece of SO cord to a bell Box and drop the SO cord through the floor. Attach your box to wall or floor. Put a cord cap on the SO cord hanging out. Seal up the floor. Pedistal at the camp ground should be gfci device. So use a WR (weather resistant) gfci or Tamper resistant receptacle. Maybe even install a flap cover to help keep objects out. But your outlet will not be face up.
You will have a tail hanging out like a diesel truck. But keep an extra on hand in case you damage it. You could also get a twist lock. L5-15p and L5-15R for your cord end from the pedistal. I would use real SO cord, not a chunk of your extension cord. You can get a metal SO cord connector for the box to help keep it from sliding or even a strain relief for either end or both.
Just a thought.

weekender01

Just throwing this idea if it will work for you. Drill a hole in the floor right next to the wall. Attach a short piece of SO cord to a bell Box and drop the SO cord through the floor. Attach your box to wall or floor. Put a cord cap on the SO cord hanging out. Seal up the floor. Pedistal at the camp ground should be gfci device. So use a WR (weather resistant) gfci or Tamper resistant receptacle. Maybe even install a flap cover to help keep objects out. But your outlet will not be face up.
You will have a tail hanging out like a diesel truck. But keep an extra on hand in case you damage it. You could also get a twist lock. L5-15p and L5-15R for your cord end from the pedistal. I would use real SO cord, not a chunk of your extension cord. You can get a metal SO cord connector for the box to help keep it from sliding or even a strain relief for either end or both.
Just a thought.

Thanks. I will look at these options.

Mattman

I do need to make a brief correction if you go this way. The pedistal at the campground is typically a 20amp breaker. Or at least the ones I have been to. I would recommend to have all 20amp rated material since it would technically be a single device installation. That section of wiring is more likely to take all 20amps before opening the over current device. Which in reality if your running an AC unit continuously as your goal it's better idea anyway. If the unit draws 12.5 amps a 15amp breaker is not properly sized per NEC. It would have to be a 20. 15 would be legal if I remember right since you have multiple points to plug in. But the way you want to use it is almost like it's a dedicated outlet. If it was my camper i would spend the extra $ for 20 amp devices and cord.