2 New TV Technologies to Try Out

Prairiedog

For anyone who has been struggling with TV connections, sat hookups, and such...don't feel bad -- many of us are in the same boat. Over the past few months, I've had to get creative because of my location and my set up in my RV. However, during that time, I've found a few new technologies you might want to consider...just in case.

1) Nyrius Wireless Signal Senders - if you only have one cable or DVR box but have multiple TVs, this may be for you. These devices send whatever you are "watching" in one room to another television nearby. So, if you want to send the football game to a TV outside, or to your bedroom, this will take care of it -- with NO long wires to worry about. And, with an IR blaster, you can control the box via remote as well. Standard definition units are around $80, HD units about a $100 more ($159-179). The quality of the HD Units has proven to be amazing. Worth the money for me.

2) Chromecast - this is a new device from Google that allows you to "cast" your signal from your computer directly to your TV without wires. It resembles a lot of the other devices that are out there with one major exception -- its only $35 dollars!!! It is not a perfect device by far. However, if you live on Netflix, or HuluPlus, or Pandora...this device works great. And, with new devices coming "native" to the casting world, it will only get better. Because it can cast pretty much anything in a Google Chrome window, you can even put Powerpoint presentations and so forth on your tv. For such a low price, this has been a great find.

So, I hope this helps for anyone struggling with their TV setup. Best of luck!

Rob
The Prairiedog

happyappy

I'll second your recommendation for Chromecast.

I bought one for our seasonal camper and decided we needed one at home too. I'm buying my adult son one for Christmas. Highly recommended if you use Netflix, Hulu, and/or Youtube.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This is some pretty cool stuff!

Especially the Chromecast!

Like Toby Keith sang . . . "I've gotta' get me some!" :cool:

(We've got lots of prairie dogs out here in Colorado, and I shoot them with my camera a lot, so I'll share some photos if you'd like) . . .

Here is a sample:

PrairieDogs-IMGP0247.jpg

And I have LOTS more!

Last edited:

Ladiver

Another vote for Chromecast! I love it. The only catch is you have to run your own wireless network for it to work. You will not be able to connect to most of your local campground wifi and have it work. The Chromecast and your phone/tablet/laptop need to be on the same network in order to communicate.

I will be working on setting up a local wifi network in my trailer, while being able to access a different wifi network for internet.

greg7140

Another good choice would be the Roku 3 box. The remote for the Roku 3 is "RF" not "IR" so you can hide the roku box behind the TV or in a cabinet next to TV and not need directly line of sight for the remote to work. I do like the Chromecast...but for me it doesn't have enough choices yet...although they have added HBO GO and Hulu to the line up in the last month or so.

I am using this Asus Range extender in my Gateway...it is set up to attach to my iPad hotspot as soon as it see it. You obviously can set it up to connect to any wifi it sees. It also acts as a local wifi network for Chromecast, etc if it does not connect to a hotspot. I really like this one because of the size...both my Roku Box and this small router sit behind the TV in my Gateway 3200. Everything works like a charm!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-du...nder/6639344.p?id=1218768189973&skuId=6639344

alex00

I've always thought I was pretty tech savvy when it came to audio video at home. I have not kept up with the streaming side of things (mostly because of slow Internet out in the country).

What would be the best way to share content from multiple devices to multiple tvs? If I wanted to send satellite, game console, and laptop/tablet signal to any of the three tvs what would you recommend?

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk for campfires 4