2009 Bighorn Pick up and Shakedown Cruise

talley

Avila Beach

Larry...Glad to hear the report on Reynolds and Reynolds Ocean Canyon Resort. This Texan is planning a two month West Coast trip in May, up the coast to Washington State and back thru Western States to Texas. One destination will be Avila Beach... spent lots of time there in 1959-60 while stationed at Vandenburg AFB.

Will avoid that resort, but did you notice another there that would be worth a visit? BTW, I found backing a 5th wheel can be a continuing learning experience. Used the Emergency Road Service tow service twice in one month to have the '38 Bighorn removed from backing it where I should not have gone. But, lessons learned instill confidence.

Our next challenge and opportunity for "learning" (hopefully with out serious mistakes) will be the mountian towing we face on our California trip. We don't have a lot of practice along the Texas Gulf Coast.

Good luck and enjoy your coach!!

Thank you all for your supportive comments. It was wierd but once I got over it, half a day, I was fine and we all had a good laugh. When we left, the mgr was so upset that his regulars found out what a jerk he was, he refused to help us get the rig out. Next thing I know there are 4 other rvers helping me hitch up and guided us out. Stay away from Avila Beach Reynolds and Reynolds Ocean Canyon Resort. It's a low class timeshare where the campers were cool but it was tight and close and has changed owners several times.
More excitement though to add. On our way over the 101 South to the 154 which takes u past Lake Cachuma and back to the 101 our electric connector disconnected and we were on windy roads with zero RV brakes. There was no place to pull over, so I took it nice and easy and made it to Santa Barbara where we gassed up and I replugged in the electronic connector.
We are now home safe and excited about Friday in Anaheim. Battered and bruised, but ready to go, duct taped and hot to trot! The damage to the rig according to Ricks Travel Supply which happened to be within 10 minutes of our storage location said it was minor, and could be repaired in 10 hours. Their biggest concern will be how long it takes Heartland to send them the parts. Anyone know how I can speed that up? Is this a James Fenner of customer service, call?
Cya all Friday..............

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Talley, glad to hear from you. Ocean Canyon was the most uninhabitable membership campsite I had ever seen, so some of these freebies for a 90 minute timeshare presentation are awful. There are several choices along the coast from San Luis Obispo, Morro Beach (even their state campground was nice), Oceana, Santa Barbara and our favorites were www.winecountryresort.com in Paso Robles which had several pull thru's and helpful employees that helped me setup as soon as i arrived. Also great wineries (J Lohr was our fav) We also thought Pismo Coast Village and Pismo Sands were nice also. Go use Woodalls or Trailer Life campground directories, or get on line and do a search.
Since these are primo CG's make reservations asap as summer is coming along and it will be difficult to obtain the better places. PM me if you want to talk about it, and we can talk by phone and I will give u helpful hints. Good luck and talk to u soon.

dixiebabe

Larry, This Bob from Mich. I am in Gulf Shores Ala reading what all has happen to you. Well I was just wondering what you did about the cable connection. We are having the same problem with new rig. I have tried every thing I can think of. Could you give me some insight please. Bob

curt

Larryheadhunter-A little late but it might be a good idea to take your rig to a parking lot (empty of course) and practice backing into a space there. Have someone help you (your wife). This helps driver and helper work out communication signals when you both are not under pressure. Good luck.

sdgirl

Backing practice

Excellent suggestion! I have an industrial park near us and plan on having hubby practice towing and backing our rig there on the weekends, when there are 4 lanes and VERY little traffic! Thanks for the thought!

Larryheadhunter

Cable TV

Bob,
you need to buy a cable for your cable connection, about 25 fter, then screw into cable connection in control panel, then the other end into hookeup at the at the CG. The key with cable, Bob, is in the bedroom TV where behind it on ceiling is a red booster button that needs to be turned off. When you use your attenna turn on the red booster light. Then go to setup on your menu and find setup. Go to TV or auto find, pick cable if you are using cable and air if you are using your attenae. I hope that answers your question. pm me if your need further answers. I am probably going to get direct tv down the line.

Larry, This Bob from Mich. I am in Gulf Shores Ala reading what all has happen to you. Well I was just wondering what you did about the cable connection. We are having the same problem with new rig. I have tried every thing I can think of. Could you give me some insight please. Bob

waynet

2008 Ford

Larry, how's that F250 doing pulling your 3400RE? My wife and I bought a 3055RL at Christmas but haven't had it out yet! (It's still living with the dealer :) Bought the truck last year, love it, so thought we'd stick with it and see how well she tows the new rig. We had extra leaf springs added to the rear axle and feel pretty confident about the truck handling the weight. Can't wait for the snow to melt here in West Michigan. Takes a little while to turn 100" of snow back to it's natural state! :)

Larryheadhunter

Hey waynet,
I have had zero problems pulling the 3400RE with the 6.4 diesel engine. We made sure we had all the possible options for pulling a rig installed including towing pkg and brake controller, heavy duty suspension etc. I would recommend 2 things to you. Make sure you have a pin cushion installed. We got and are happy with the Mor/Ryde at www.tweetys.com for $699 but it needs a capture plate that integrates with your particular hitch. If you decide to get a new hitch, I would recommend if you have a crew cab short bed, a www.pullrite.com a 18K auto super glider i the way to go. It has helped immensly. You should also add if you don't have them already are firestone air bags for your truck. All these additions have lessened the learning curve of driving with so much RV behind you. For your ford make sure u get the telescoping outside double mirrors as it really helps to see what's around u. The next thing I am probably going to buy is some sort of camera system as I never know whats behind the rig and that bothers me. I hope that answers your questions.

jpmorgan37

Larry;

The road is in front of you. How many professional drivers (18 wheelers) have rear cameras? You use your mirrors for whats beside you and when you get ready to back up, get Debbi with a walkie talkie to watch behind you and you are in good shape. JMHO

John

theharveys

John,
I agree with you. When I need to know what's behind me on the road, I check the inside side-view mirror on corners and otherwise watch for shadows.
We also use walkie-talkies when backing the trailer into the driveway or campsite. DW has gotten real good at directing me from behind the trailer.

jpmorgan37

Jeff;

About the only time I've gotten in trouble (with the trailer) is when I've tried to do it without Sue behind me. Another thing that I learned a long time ago was to shut up and listen. If I didn't understand what she was telling me, stop, get out and look. I hear people in the campground yelling at each other and that is no way to start a enjoyable camping experience.

John

waynet

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice. The 3055RL is our first fifth wheel. We've had T/T's over the years but nothing to compare. We can't wait to break it in next month!

Larryheadhunter

I guess being a rookie and chicken, I thought the more safety the better. That's why I suggested a camera to see directly behind my rig. I guess since I haven't crashed in a month, I will take your advice and spend my dollars on other goodies like the MOTOSAT HD5SL satellite system that Jim B. recommended. RVing is so tough DW and I and the dogs might end up full timing someday. The only thing I will need is a live on board mechanic to fix everything I break, or breaks on me.

Uncle Rog

Every Trip............

Larry, every time we go out it is a shakedown cruise!
As for breaking stuff, you will get the hang of it, what tools to have and what mobile repair service #'s to save............

Corin1110

We are new to the group and are scheduled to pick up our new 3055RL this Saturday. This will be our first 5er and we're a little nervous. What did you learn from your experience that will help newbies like us?

Larryheadhunter

Well from one rookie to another, I learned alot in a short time. It was necessary. If you haven't backed a fifth wheel into a site, which I have tried unsuccessfully so far, but hoping for better results next time, practice if you can, otherwise try to get a pull through. PM me with your phone number and we can talk over the phone as there is alot of stuff I learned fast, that mite assist you in preparation. Important first step is to get a checklist for your PDI. Secondly, you will have to learn how to do things in a certain order and learn it like rote. Obtain other checklists including the steps from hitching up to unhitching, and what to bring, step by step for a number of things. Go to Trailer Life, and in this forum there are plenty of lists just do a search. Good luck and look forward to assisting you to do better than I did on my shakedown cruise. Make sure you retract the rear stabilizers before you hitch up to keep the weight of the rig off of them if you have to lift up a few inches.

Forrest Fetherolf

We are new to the group and are scheduled to pick up our new 3055RL this Saturday. This will be our first 5er and we're a little nervous. What did you learn from your experience that will help newbies like us?

Corin,

DVDs like this might give you some info for RVing.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=27789&affiliateid=590

Early learning might eliminate "on the job training" disasters, anger, embarrassment, and financial losses. I doubt very much that there is any one on this forum that hasn't made a goof or two. I've had a few.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

JP and Forrest speak the truth here. Go slow and take your time, if some thing does not seem right it probably isn't!!!!!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The same as everybody else. Do everything in "SLOOOOW MOTION". Look out for low hanging tree branches. They are bad news for the rubber roofs. If in doubt, stop, get out and look for yourself. Everybody, I mean everybody has a "OOOOOOOPPPSIE" or two. Bob:D

donabel

Duct tape

I personally established an immediate and strong relationship with the "GOOD" white duct tape. If you can get a close match, it cuts down on the questions.

Don