2009 bighorn water filter?

while sitting around the lunchroom at work the subject of water filters in fifth wheels came up.a couple of guy's with different makes were talking about access and changing it out.i began to research into whether or not i had one.i can't find anything saying i do.i found it a little odd that heartland wouldn't have one when other's do.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless something's changed very recently, HL's do not come with water filters. It's easy enough to make your own set-up. Some have installed them in the basement behind the UDC, others have put them in the UDC, and a few of us have made systems that sit external to the rig. Most will agree that it is a good idea to incorporate a good pressure regulator in the system to protect the plumbing from possible overpressure at various campgrounds. The photo is my set-up, self-contained in a covered tote, it sits under the rig below the UDC. I chose a two stage set up to catch sediment (clear canister) and a carbon filter to remove metals, cysts, and other cooties. In storage, all of my fresh water hoses and accessories roll up into the tote and it goes in the basement.

This is my original set up. I've since moved the regulator to the output side of the system to keep it from catching the sediment. The filter system is rated for 100 psi, so I'm not overly concerned about it getting damaged from overpressure. The regulator is preset to 50 psi, but my CG site has held steady at 42 psi for the past two seasons.

View attachment 10456View attachment 10457

wdk450

Heartland doesn't install water filters. There are a lot of ways to go on this. A master filtering system outside the coach, an undersink filter for drinking/cooking purposes only, or a counter or refrigerator filter/pitcher for drinking water (i.e. Brita or Pure). Lots of variations in taste and levels of purification.
The simple filters really don't cost that much, and not having an installed filter gives you the option to get what is right for you.

thank's guy's......cool system johndar,i like it.it's kinda funny what some of the so thought of "lesser" brands will include that a more regarded name doesn't include and vise versa.

JohnDar

Careful what you wish for. My TT came with a canister filter...mounted under the sink. It was impossible to get it out without dumping water all over under the sink, onto the pump, and generally making a mess. In a BH, it could have been hidden behind the basement wall, making it a pain to change and another potential leak source.

jpajax

There are several of filter mods that have done here is mine.

Attachments

• 0206101356.jpg
    0206101356.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 0206101356a.jpg
    0206101356a.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 63

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My filters are in the same place as Jim's (jpajax). I installed 2 filters inline. I used the house type under sink filters. They are 1/2 the price as the ones at CW and they are the same filters. By all means, get a good inline pressure regulator.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Best place to put the filter is inside your storage compact behind the udc system. Out of sight and still easy to change the filter element.

JohnDar

Best place to put the filter is inside your storage compact behind the udc system. Out of sight and still easy to change the filter element.

Perhaps, but there's so much "stuff" back there already, putting the large canister types in there may be a problem. With mine, there's no worries about somebody fooling around and turning the water on while we're not there. When we leave for extended periods, I shut off the pedestal and the valve in the box. And then the valve on the distribution manifold inside the UDC.

I also don't have to empty the basement to check the condition of the sediment filter or change it. And I don't have to crawl in it, either.

One other observation on having a "whole house" filter system. With our TT, I had to change the heater anode every season. With the BH and the filter system, I'm still using the original rod and it looks almost like new.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

It depends on where your UDC is. In our Landmark the UDC is in a specific door and not part of the basement. In order to access the back of the UDC I have to remove the basement wall and climb deep into the belly of the unit. I keep our filter in a bucket which I sit under the 5er when in use. I cap the ends and place it in the basement when not in use and traveling.

JohnDar

It depends on where your UDC is. In our Landmark the UDC is in a specific door and not part of the basement. In order to access the back of the UDC I have to remove the basement wall and climb deep into the belly of the unit. I keep our filter in a bucket which I sit under the 5er when in use. I cap the ends and place it in the basement when not in use and traveling.

Similar in a 3670, although the basement door also covers the UDC. But, unless you've made an easily removable access door in the basement wall, you've got a chore to get behind the UDC. Even with my access door, it's still not a convenient place for a filter.

Just for info, that heater hose to the bedroom in the second photo originally ran under that red water line and drooped to the floor, then back up to the notch at the top of the basement wall before heading, via another droop, to the register.

View attachment 10519View attachment 10520
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png