2010 - 2014 San Antonio - NCC question

jamvir

After retiring from full-time work (DW and I continue to work part-time) and living in our 5er for 8 months, we have decided to go full-time. After researching higher-end rigs, and countless floor plans, we are very interested in a San Antonio from 2010 - 2014. However, I am concerned about the carrying capacity. For 2012 dry weight for a base unit is listed at 13,488 and GVWR at 16,250, which leaves 2,762 NCC (Net Carrying Capacity). A full tank of water (104 gallons) weighs 867 lbs (yes, we ocasionally boondock for up to 7 days) which leaves 1,895 pounds for upgrades and our "stuff". Our upgrades (2nd A/C, washer & dryer, dual pane windows, satellite equipment, EMS, inverter, plus, plus) is estimated at 800 - 1,000 lbs. Experienced fulltimers say that you can figure on about 1,000 lbs per person for their stuff (500 for me,1500 for DW!). So estimating on the low end for upgrade, that's 2,800 lbs to subtract from NCC, which puts us at about 1,000 lbs over the GVWR!

So what don't I get? Is this really fulltimers rig? Would upgraded tires increase the GVWR?

Jim

danemayer

Hi jamvir,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

There are quite a few of us full-timing in Landmarks. Ours is a 2011 Rushmore. We're running right around 16,200 lbs with 1/2 tank of water and every option except for the computer chair. The actual weight out the factory door, fully optioned, was 13,459. So in addition to water weight, we probably have about 2,200 lbs of gear, which includes a lot of tools and spare parts, and stuff for DW's 3 hobbies.

We're heavy on the pin. Last weigh-in was 3750 (vs 2620 for the empty spec on pin weight), so even though we're slightly over GVWR, the weight on axles and suspension is not maxed out.

Upgrading wheels and tires to Goodyear G114 (LR H) or a comparable tire will give you additional margin on the wheels and tires.

jamvir

Thanks for the quick reply, Danemayer. I see the 2011 rushmore has a published dry weight of 12,909, so it appears that all your options added only about 500 pounds. We normally travel with about 30 gallons of water, so we should be close to the GVWR 90% of the time.

Hopefully I will get some numbers from San Antonio owners

Jim