2010 Ford F350

Paul_in_MN

Thanks to all for the history lessons.

I was especially suprised to read porthole's reply on the 6 cylinder Mitsi non turbo engine being used in the full size Dodge PUs. I have owned and driven many Dodge trucks, but never one with that engine. So now I have learned something, and I enjoy learning.

When I first started using PU trucks for work and farm, they were International Harvestors, my first one being a 1963 C1100. I had 4 IH PUs until 1975 when they quit making them. Then I switched to Dodge as they were almost as tough as the IH's, but I could always feel the frame flex with heavy loads. The 360 engines were very thirsty work horses, and the ride was a nightmare, much worse than the IH's I had. So after the Dodges, I had a few Ford gas models, finally settling on my very tough, hard working 2002 Ford F350 7.3 diesel crew cab. Sorry, but I am just not a Chevy guy, but have to admit they have a very good ride, and the Allison is probably the best tranny in the industry. The history of all these trucks is interrelated as they were in serious competetion for certain niche markets, especially the RV market as it is a big seller for the trucks.

Good Day!

Paul_in_MN

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for all of the info folks. I knew there was alot of knowledge out there. Yes I know the Ford engines are made by International. Cant wait to see and hear about the new Ford Scorpion engine.

porthole

Retired
Since Paul mentioned the ride .......
In the 80's I worked at one dealer that was a combo - Dodge, Ford and Toyota.

The lot was unpaved and in terrible shape. Driving the Dodge PU's through the lot (I was a Dodge tech) would rattle your bones and give you a sore neck if you were not careful.

The Ford's on the other hand rode like a car over the same lot, hard to believe the difference in ride quality.

For awhile I thinking about actually buying a Ford, which when you are a tech for one brand it really doesn't make a lot of sense to buy another, especially new.

So while I was thinking about this change I paid attention to a few of the Ford techs for a week or so. After the week of watching what they do and how they do it :eek::eek::eek: I decided to keep my stable all Dodge.

Kept it that way until I got on the fire Department - been GM's and Lincoln's (wife's) ever since.

But I might be swayed when the new F series proves it's mettle.

So - do you history buffs know that the Dodge Brothers actually got their start making parts for Ford before starting their own line of vehicles???

nemo45

Thanks for straightening me out. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Chevy LUV with the Isuzu diesel in it.

2010augusta

If you all want to dig real deep in to auto history: Henry Ford started The Henry Ford Company long before Ford Motor Company. Cadillac was formed from the remnants of the Henry Ford Company when Henry Ford departed (was fired) along with several of his key partners and the company was dissolved. With the intent of liquidating the firm's assets, Ford's financial backers, William Murphy and Lemuel Bowen called in engineer Henry M. Leland of Leland & Faulconer Manufacturing Company to appraise the plant and equipment prior to selling them. Instead, Leland persuaded them to continue the automobile business using Leland's proven 1-cylinder engine. Henry Ford's departure required a new name, and on August 22, 1902, the company reformed as the Cadillac Automobile Company. Leland & Faulconer Manufacturing and the Cadillac Automobile Company merged in 1905. The Ford Motor Company was launched in a converted factory in 1903 with $28,000 in cash from twelve investors, most notably John and Horace Dodge (who would later found their own car company). Henry's first attempt under his name was the Henry Ford Company on November 3, 1901, which became the Cadillac Motor Company on August 22, 1902.

From Wikipedia.

It just goes to show that the Big Three could really be the big-one.:rolleyes:

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks for straightening me out. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Chevy LUV with the Isuzu diesel in it.

I thought that was true but with my CRS I wasn't sure. I also couldn't find any written mention of it. I know the LUV was essentially an Izuzu but the diesel part has me stumped.

truknutt

Committed Member
How about the Ford Ranger made by Mazda

BLASPHEMER!

1983-1992
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Joining Chevrolet in the fight against the small pickups from Japan, Ford introduced its all-American Ranger in 1983. The Ranger replaced the Courier, which was basically a Mazda pickup with some Ford styling tweaks. Introduced in mid-1982 as an early 1983 model, the Ranger was at first only available as a two-wheel-drive truck. By the Fall of 1982, a four-wheel-drive (4X4) version was offered. The style of the Ranger was inspired by its bigger brother, Ford's F-Series pickup, and similarities could be seen in the grille design and bodyside character lines. A choice of two wheelbases provided two bed sizes; a 108-inch wheelbase truck had a 6-foot bed whereas a 114-inch wheelbase truck sported a 7-foot bed. Ford boasted that the Ranger had more interior room than the best-selling imports and that 4x8-foot construction material could be carried in the bed (with the tailgate down).

At first, only Ford's 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine (remember the Pinto?) with a meager 80 horsepower could be found under the Ranger's hood. Later in the year, a more powerful 115-horsepower 2.8-liter V6 became optional. Transmission choices consisted of the standard four-speed manual, optional five-speed manual and optional three-speed automatic. Payload capacity was respectable, with 4X4 Rangers able to haul up to 1,600 pounds. Four-wheelers also had an independent front suspension (dubbed Twin-Traction) and 15-inch wheels/tires that provided ground clearance nearly equal to an F-150 4X4.
[/FONT]

1994 marked the year that Mazda borrowed the Ranger platform for its B-Series pickup truck line. Numbers after the letter B indicated what engine the truck had: The B2300 had the 2.3-liter 98-horsepower inline four; the B3000 had the 3.0-liter 140-horsepower V6; the B4000 had the 4.0-liter 160-horsepower V6.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](excerpt from - edmunds.com)
[/FONT]

Ranger originally came with the 2.3L 4 cylinder:
2.3 OHC
The Ford Pinto used the OHC version, a 2.3 L (2302 cm�) unit introduced in 1974 which has a 96 mm bore and 79.5 mm stroke. This version lasted until 1995 in various guises. The earliest units produced 66 kW (88 hp) and 160 N�m (118 ft-lb). This engine has also been known as the Lima engine, after the plant in Lima, Ohio, where it was originally manufactured (it was also later manufactured in Brazil). :(
Applications:
Non-turbo
Ford Pinto
Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series
Ford Mustang

(excerpt from - madaboutkitcars.com)

Now that Courier was ALL Mazda!!:rolleyes:

Ive learned a lot today thank you all.now for an old story cant waight until toyota starts building that one ton rdw diesel. that they shelved for now. I missed the prototype out in California. g-day

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Whoa...I stand corrected on the Ranger/Mazda truck. It is just that when my son had a Ranger some of the parts were stamped Mazda....But that was a long time ago...

escs36

Back to the subject, i think that the 7.3 is the only way to go. I may change my mind once the engines prove themselves, however, that can take 10 years. I have a 99 F-350 heavily modded to pull my 3912. It pulls like you can't imagine. 65 mph up almost any hill. Now that i know all the legal requirements, i bought a 2002 F-550. Now it is stock, very lazy compared to my F-350. F-550 feels so much better ride wise. I was fortunate enough to find one with air-ride, but the truck is absolutely solid. It stops(less dependant of trailer brakes) , it doesn't buck, it just feels so much safer. I feel like i can relax a bit while driving, much less fatigue. My F-350 has air bags with in-cab controls, which helps, but does not make the truck right. I know the new F-350 trucks have a 26K factory gross combination weight ratings, but F-450 and F-550 is the only way to go with the huge trailers made today.

brunsje

Okay....I have driven Ford's for quite a few years, and have put many miles on the vehicles. (98 Mustang 229,000 and counting) But my current tow vehicle is a 06 2500 Dodge Ram Quadcab with the 5.9 Cummins and a Banks Exhaust. I couldn't be more happier with it! Solo I have gotten a shade under 30MPG! Around town and short hops 22-24MPG. Towing the camper...16-20MPG. It is NOT 4WD. I searched for this truck for many months...and they are not easy to find! I have not needed the 4WD which I think is the reason for the higher milage. Is there anyone out there who also has a diesel with 2WD who also gets compariable milage..Ford, GM, or Dodge.

nemo45

Ok, I'm just going to say it because I know everyone else is thinking it. THOSE ARE PRETTY OUTLANDISH CLAIMS. I have a 2005 Dodge 3500, 5.9 CTD, quad cab, SRW, 2WD with a 3.73 rear end. I have gotten as high as 21 mpg at 70 mph solo, strictly interstate highway driving. My previous fifthwheel and my 3600 RE are practically the same length and weight, which is 38 ft. long and about 12000 lbs. dry and towing both I got between 10 and 12 mpg depending on terrain and wind. I have gotten as low as 7 mpg while towing and fighting a 35-40 mph head wind. Driving around town I get 15-17 mpg. These are actual mileage figures not from the computer on the truck, which are always 1.5 to 2 mpg more than what I actually figure. I have never read or heard of anyone with a 5.9 Cummins in a Dodge claim to get the mpg you have no matter what they have done to the engine.

nhunter

Ok, I'm just going to say it because I know everyone else is thinking it. THOSE ARE PRETTY OUTLANDISH CLAIMS. I have a 2005 Dodge 3500, 5.9 CTD, quad cab, SRW, 2WD with a 3.73 rear end. I have gotten as high as 21 mpg at 70 mph solo, strictly interstate highway driving. My previous fifthwheel and my 3600 RE are practically the same length and weight, which is 38 ft. long and about 12000 lbs. dry and towing both I got between 10 and 12 mpg depending on terrain and wind. I have gotten as low as 7 mpg while towing and fighting a 35-40 mph head wind. Driving around town I get 15-17 mpg. These are actual mileage figures not from the computer on the truck, which are always 1.5 to 2 mpg more than what I actually figure. I have never read or heard of anyone with a 5.9 Cummins in a Dodge claim to get the mpg you have no matter what they have done to the engine.
I thought it as well.

escs36

I have f-350 2wd, f-550 4wd, and a f-650 with a cummins for work. all seem to get around 10 mpg under almost all loaded conditions. I am 30 going on 70, needless to say i drive extremely conservatively. my f-650 with a 5.9 cummins will get about 12 mpg driving 5 mph below the speed limit. Keep in mind this a box truck that weighs 15K empty.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I agree, 30 mpg is a little out of the window of believing. However, I can obtain 23 - 24 mpg on the highway (bobtailing) if I stay at or below the speed limit. Towing, it is around 13 - 14 on the flatland. I do have the old cummins setup for efficiency. Operate most of the time at BMEP (Brake Mean Effective Pressure) point on the RPM curve and also reduced most of the gear losses. Timing set for economy, etc. Takes a good double disk to hold all the torque she puts out.