2011 F350 What to ask?

porthole

Retired
Duane
Where did you get the information about the coolant. My dealer has been pushing their Gold all the time. I had someone put in some red or green and they told me I needed to change it back out to Gold.

The mechanics tell me that the only difference between them is the time you need to change them out. Gold has the longest replacement date.

I have recently been using a few private diesel mechanics and they don't make a lot of determination of the difference. My diesel mechanic here uses the Peak that he says is good for all makes and models. I was going to change it out but haven't gotten around to it yet.... Wondering if Ford is just trying to sell their brand...

BC

Where did I get it?
When I was looking to purchase my DMax I scoured the net, did the same when I started following the development of the 6.7 Ford. I tend to over research everything, but that is also the reason I never looked at a Ford diesel until the 2011's came out.

Bob, not being in the field anymore I don't keep up on everything. But, when I was, what I knew about antifreeze was that there were only 1 or 2 manufacturers making it, generic antifreeze, 90+% ethylene–glycol+colorless when manufactured, that was then mixed to manufactures specs. Coloring was added as one of the specs, with bright green being universal so anyone that drives could recognize that fluid and not drink it.

Chrysler had their own specific antifreeze when the aluminum head engines started coming out, and it was good for 125K, same with the trans fluid. The replacement schedule for either once the factory fluids were drained was 12-15K, and it was all about the additives.

It is the dissimilar metals with a liquid moving through out and adding heat and products so combustion. Using the improper antifreeze in the Chrysler products would result in sometimes completely clogged cooling systems, some requiring to go as far as removing the engine to clean out the blocks.

If the specs for your 6.0 require Gold antifreeze, and someone put in either red or especially green, I would suggest you dump it and flush the cooling system, if plan on keeping the truck, especially with towing a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel.
Flushing it will be the tough part. Even mechanics that use “flush” machines are only about 75% or so effective.

Personally, if it was mine, I would dump as much as you can (block drains too), fill with water, run and dump, fill, at least 3 times. Then you have the issue of trying to get the proper mix back in.

Find out the total capacity, measure what you dump the last time and get your pencil and paper out.

Ford or Motorcraft do not make antifreeze, they just have it made to their specs.
You may very well be able to use the gold if your truck originally came with the red. But you can’t mix them.

• Antifreeze was developed by Prestone.
  • Antifreeze has to be mixed properly. Straight antifreeze actually has a lower boiling point, higher freeze level and transfers less heat then a proper 50/50 mix.
  • Some of the additives help prevent bubbles from forming or if they do form prevent them from sticking to moving parts, especially water pump impellers.
  • The bubbles forming under pressure in the coolant stream can stick to then collapse rapidly, this forms pitting from “cavitation”

Here is some not so useful information (to us) written by Prestone’s director of technology. This is OTR truck stuff.
http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel...ch-do-you-know-about-heavy-duty-coolants.aspx

dave10a

I hope by now every one is confused like I about anti-freeze and cooling systems. I simply follow the manufacturers recommendations which are easy to follow for people like me. Ford, GM and Dodge spend a lot money and effort on their recommendations so why not take their advice and devote your time to life's activity of enjoyment :).

caissiel

This makes me want to keep my 6.0 longer.
I was going to look for a used 2011 after Ford learn more about maintaining them.
But now still trust mine more then any post 2007 diesels.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

Milton55

Well we did it. A 2011 F350, KR, 4x4, 6.7L PSD, Crew Cab, 60,000 km is sitting in the driveway. Won't fit in the garage unfortunately. Will send pictures once the blizzard outside lets up.
Thanks to the tips received here and on a few other forums I was armed with my notebook filled with questions and things to look for. Didn't get them down in price cause we almost got caught in a bidding war with another interested buyer. Based on other trucks listed for sale, but located 7-8 hrs away, the truck seemed to be priced competitively. Checked Kelly Blue Book prices and this one was priced in the range for a clean truck and keeping in mind Kelly's prices are US$ I think we did ok. Original build sheet shows sticker price of $85k with a long list of options so $48k seems, choke, reasonable! Has new 20" Michelins, would have preferred 18" for ride quality and replacement cost but they sure look good. Has a PTC Supplemental Heater, not sure what that does but have a ton of manuals to read. Has a steel cable mounted in the box to tie down loads, FX4 off road, buckets, moon roof, nav, PTO provision, dual alt, roof clearance lights, heavy duty service suspension, factory remote start, and of course it's the new diesel.
It has the 5th wheel hitch prep package so will be researching Reece and B&W hitch options. We have the short box so not sure if a slider is available or will be required for whatever 5th wheel we end up with.
Got the Car Fax and Oasis reports plus the required Manitoba Safety Cert. There was some comments about wear on the front tires and the reports show work done 2 weeks ago on the front end (steering linkage, drag link, tie rods, ends) which was required to pass the Safety. Thus the new rubber all around. The kicker on the deal was the Ford Premium Care ESP which is good for another 4 yrs and another 90,000 km. this seems to cover almost everything with $0. Deductible. Thanks to the original owner for purchasing this and the fact it is fully transferable.
The interior of the King Ranch was in great condition. A few wear marks on the drivers seat and centre arm rest but was otherwise pristine. Don't think the back seat was ever used.
The exterior had a few small stone chips and tail gate has a rub mark on the exterior but the rest looks like new. The box is a bit banged up but plan on a LineX bedliner and tonneau cover eventually so that will cover it up nicely.
There is 970 hrs, 230 idle hours on the engine and the engine bay and underside is clean with no obvious leaks, even after the test drive. Weighed the truck on the trip home and it came in at about 8000lbs so after adding about 500# for hitch! DW, Dog, etc that leaves about 3000# for payload. GVWR 11,500#. The motor is so quiet and ride so smooth as compared to our previous 2008 Ram 2500. The truck bucks a bit on a rough road but certainly more than acceptable given the size of the truck. The creature comforts inside are impressive.
So we are set for the TV, now to get my drivers license upgrade, shop for hitch and upgrade 5er and we will be able to drive off into our retirement lifestyle.