Slideout Motor Access FB22

After a recent camping trip I became a bit concerned as the motor for the slide out sounds like it is struggling... It almost seemed like it did not want to make it all the way closed... I checked for any binding or obstruction thinking that I could blow a fuse trying to close it...No obstruction.. Upon doing a bit of research I discovered that the only way to get to the motor in the event that you would have to use the extension tool for a cordless drill would be to start trying to pry off trim on top of the slide out fascia edge inside to reach the motor mounted on top... this is where the problem begins...

After you pop off the middle decorative piece as I've read there is a solid board all the way across the length of the slide-out that is permanently nailed into place not allowing you any room to stick a cordless drill through with the extension tool... It appears I will have to use a sawz-all or something to make an access to provide a big enough hole to get the drill in...

Are there any suggestions, tips, tricks or anything else to try before doing demolition?... unless there is something easier to get to it I am pretty much stuck with modifying the entire top piece... Any help would be welcomed as this seems like a very poor design if you find yourself in a pinch...

Thank you!... Edward

cipwood

Poor design is a understatement. It's like the manufacturer thinks that motor and the cables will never need service of any kind.

That front trim is removable without destroying it but it takes some doing.
I had mine off and put it back just to see what it would take in a pinch. Also to check the cable adjustment, it's the only way to do any proper adjustments.

You can pry it off by inserting a thin pry bar bar from the underside between the outer trim board and the inner frame board, this will expose the screws that fix the inner board to the ceiling of the slide.

If I ever have to take it off again I will put it back on with all screws and trim washers instead of the nails it comes with.

centerline

ive never seen an installation where the facia boards cannot be easily removed to access the motor....

usually there are some trim buttons, plastic mirrors or other decorative "add-ons", that can be gently pried out of where they are placed, and then, under them you will see the hardware that holds the facia in place....

if you have one that isnt set up this way, then you should set it up so that you wont have to destroy parts when you need to access the motor....

ive never seen an installation where the facia boards cannot be easily removed to access the motor....

usually there are some trim buttons, plastic mirrors or other decorative "add-ons", that can be gently pried out of where they are placed, and then, under them you will see the hardware that holds the facia in place....

if you have one that isnt set up this way, then you should set it up so that you wont have to destroy parts when you need to access the motor....
Well this one certainly was a challenge even to get the center piece off. They had probably about 20 long trim nails holding it on and the backing board was tagged together to the long frame board with screws that were stripped out when they ran them in... I wound up cutting the whole section out and reattaching a smaller splice board behind it to allow enough room to put a cordless drill in with the flexible attachment tool. Then I drilled and countersunk holes and reattached the trim with screws... If there is a problem with the motor while on a camping trip then it will be as easy as removing 4 screws and you're in... Below are the pictures of this new modification. I hope it may help someone else.

Attachments

• 20230327_135100.jpg
    20230327_135100.jpg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230327_153255.jpg
    20230327_153255.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230327_153155.jpg
    20230327_153155.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230327_154415.jpg
    20230327_154415.jpg