2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD - Diesel - Mountain Towing

danemayer

We drove thru Denver yesterday on our way to Breckenridge, CO. That took us west on I-70 climbing from 5000 feet in Denver to 12,000 feet at the Eisenhour tunnel, followed by a very steep descent for about 8 miles or so into Silverthorne. We're towing a pretty fully loaded Landmark Rushmore (39 feet). I haven't weighed, but I'd guess we're towing 15,000+.

I mostly used the cruise control and let it manage the transmission. Going up the mountain was effortless. I think we were in 5th and 6th gear almost the whole climb. 45-50 MPH on the winding areas, and 55 on the straighter sections.

Going downhill I set the cruise control at 35 (to comply with the signs for vehicles > 26,000 GVWR), enabled the exhaust brake (which helps a little), and went down from Eisenhour tunnel to Silverthorne at about 2500 RPM. No brakes needed at all. (BTW, I've always wondered about the runaway truck ramps - we saw a truck on one of them this trip).

Earlier in the trip, going north on I-25 from New Mexico, I found the cruise control managed downhill speed pretty well to 55. There were a few times it shifted down a couple of gears (4th?) and the engine was up to 4000 RPM for a brief period.

This is our first diesel/5th wheel, so I don't have a history of comparative towing, but after this, I'd recommend the GMC 3500 Diesel to anyone towing in the mountains.

nscaler2

Dan,
Sounds great. We just traded a 2006 Ford F350 for a GMC just like yours. We had to order it to get just what we wanted. It arrived at the dealer yesterday and is being preped with a few dealer installed options. Can't wait to put ours to the test. We travel a lot in the same part of the country that you just encountered. Sounds like a nice experience in comparison to our times with the F350. Good luck to you. Hope you have many happy miles with your new rig.

navyAZ1

We are on our 4th Duramax/Allison combo and have been impressed with them all. We just traded for a 2011 Chevy 3500 SRW and am anxious to make a trip to the mountains and give it a try with this new exhaust brake they have added. The Allison transmission did a great job in the mountains with the previous 3 trucks, but to have the addition of the exhaust brake sounds great.