2011 Grand Canyon slide leak

This is our 4th week in our Grand Canyon and we love it! :D However, after a thunderstorm last night we noticed wet carpet at the edge of the dining room slide this morning. :(

We are concerned that it might be due to the fact that we didn't have slide awnings added to our purchase, primarily due to the salesman convincing us that we didn't need them...he said they would just flap in the wind and make an annoying sound. We were convinced that the stucture of the slides was so good that they were not necessary.

Now, before we take this concern further, we need to hear some feedback from you awesome Heartland owners! Should we have purchased the awnings or are the slides sealed tightly enough that the awnings are unnecessary?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Kathy and Robert

DougS

Doug S
Hi Robert and Kathy,
You should not need a wall awning to keep it from leaking. Sounds to me like you have a seal out of place or wall needs to be adjusted. I have put over 12,000 miles this last summer, all kinds of weather, and no leaks. I do not have awning over the slides.
Call your dealer for direction. Good luck.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Last October we spent a solid week in the rain both driving and set up without awnings and not a drop inside. I was told by a dealer here in Wyoming that awnings would not be a good idea around here due to heavy winds. either way we don't have them and have no plans to add them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since you don't have slide toppers, there is the possibility that the seal along the top of the slide is not fully deployed. They have a tendency to not fully roll out when the slides are extended. That can create an opening for water to come in and find it's own way down to the floor. The seals on the sides can do the same.

Check the exterior seals and pull/flex any that are not extended outwards until you have a uniform seal around the slide. When I extend my slides, I go around all of them with an old awning rod and flex them out. Some folks have attached automotive molding strips around the slides to help pull them in the direction they need to go, either in or out.

The other possibility is that the slide is not properly aligned when extended. We had this with our rig, but did not have a water problem (toppers and seals were checked). Simple adjustment by the dealer when we took it for service.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
This sounds strange, but on our previous trailer we had a leak that was coming from a slide out window that looked completely closed, but wasn't comletely sealed. An extra ounce of downward push solved the problem.

I think we should have a Grand Canyon rally!