2012 29Buds - Installing Directv - Need Advise and Information

LargeFather

Hello. I'm relatively new to owning a TT. I've purchased a 2012 North Trail Calibur 29Buds. We have two TV's in the trailer and i need some advise and information on how to go about the installation.

First, can you help me confirm the hardware i'll need to purchase? I have DirecTV receivers that i'll be using from my house. In addition to that, i'll need to purchase the following:
  1. Dish - i've learned that it has to match what i already have installed at home
  2. Coaxial cable
  3. A dish mounting bracket (tripod)
  4. a satellite finder

What other hardware am i missing?

Secondly, i have a coaxial cable at the rear exterior of the trailer with what looks like a coaxial cable connector which connects the two tv's in the trailer. In the past while staying at an RV resort, i was able to hook up coaxial cable from the trailer to the rv resort and the resort programming was properly displayed on both TV's.... so my question is, once i point the dish to the correct satellite, can i connect the dish to the trailer using the same coaxial connector at the exterior rear of the trailer?

Third, if i have two tv's, will i need two receivers to work the tv's independently from one another?

I appreciate the advice and help. Like i said when i started, i'm new to this trailer rv'ing and i love it. I just have two little princesses that want tv in the bunkhouse when we're out exploring....

Thank you Much!

jimtoo

Hi LargeFather,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our members will jump in soon with probably more info than what you want. Got a great bunch of folks here.

Check out and join our owners club.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

I am also moving the post to a better area.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
LargeFather..Welcome aboard!
I don't own a North Trail but I can answer a couple of your questions
1) The dish, or more specifically the LMB (the arm with the receivers) doesn't have to be like the one at home. You will, however, have to select the type you are using during the setup process.
2) Since you can receive RV Park cable on both TV's with one connection outside it means you will need a separate box at each TV unless you do some additional wiring. Some model RV's have additional Coax built in that may simplify this....I can't speak to your North Trail
3) You will not be able to receive home or local channels unless you sign some forms with your satellite provider. We use the "air" antenna with a flip/flop switch to view programming for our location.
I'm sure others will jump in with additional info but hopefully this will cover some of the basics.

danemayer

can i connect the dish to the trailer using the same coaxial connector at the exterior rear of the trailer?

Generally speaking, the satellite signal will not get through the cableTV coax wiring in the trailer. If nothing else stops it, the signal booster will. If your trailer doesn't have a separate satellite connection, you'll either have to add wiring, or go through a window using a flat coax cable like this.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll jump in here on this as well.
I recommend a tripod setup from TV4RV.com. [LINK]
But depending on what kind of programming you are wanting to get you might get by with a lesser setup.
Then you will need the dish, they sell them as well.
Is your service at home Hi Def? DirecTV, Dish Network?
When you get your coax be certain it is RG-6.
Oh, and there are also other styles of satellite dishes such as the Tailgater and Winegard Carry outs. Most if not all do not support Hi-Def for DirecTV.
A lot of people here use a portable dish so ask questions as they arise.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have the Wineguard carry out. It is mounted on the ladder. We have 2 DirectV receivers, and 2 remotes. Wineguard does not support HD TV and we don't care. We are camping. Having a tri-pod and a dish is a pain. The Wineguard finds the signal for you....quick and easy.

lwljjl

I'm also new. You will need two receivers if you want to work the tv's independently. Otherwise one receiver will cause both tv's to show the same shows, as far as I know.

mlpeloquin

This is how I installed my system and my PVC pipe dish mount. It has withstood 55mph gust in Los Vegas without loosing the signal. Tripods staked and held down with water jugs will still fall over in high winds. Sorry that the pictures are rotated and upside down.

I chose the SIM system. Here is my power injector and signal splitter.
IMG_0975.JPGIMG_0976.JPG

The antenna and mount. I store the mount, cable, and meter in one small box.
IMG_0977.JPG

I drilled the rivets out so the dish is easier to store. You can get the pin inserts at ACE hardware store.
IMG_0979.JPG

Antenna mount.
IMG_0980.JPG IMG_0981.JPG

Power pass splitter and meter.
IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0983.JPG

Assembled dish and mount. I used this in Goshen rally last year. This setup was able to get a signal between a metal building with a metal roof, and the neighbors rig's back end against a fence. A very tight spot.
IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0986.JPG

This is a standard home dish. You can get a smaller RV dish, but they cost more. If you drill out the rivets, it stores small so I did not require the smaller RV version of the dish.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Nice job! You might however consider some sandbags or some gallon jugs filled with water to weight it down during high winds

Rod

Roller4tan

Signal splitters need to be rated for satellite. Cable and OTA splitters will not pass satellite signals. Some wall plate connectors as well, look for wall plates with yellow inserts.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
You will also in some cases need a power inserter. I recommend going thru satpro.com for your dish and meter. And as Cookie said tv4rv.com for your tripod. Satpro has excellent costumer service. Give them a call and they will talk you through everything you need.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You will also in some cases need a power inserter. I recommend going thru satpro.com for your dish and meter. And as Cookie said tv4rv.com for your tripod. Satpro has excellent costumer service. Give them a call and they will talk you through everything you need.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What is a power inserter?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
It is a device that hooks into the RG6 and supplies the 21 volts that is required for the LNB.

LNBSWP.jpg

cableman

I am Currently working for ATT and would like to way in. Direct tv was currently purchased by ATT and we just started installing Direct Tv. There is also a 29 volt power inserter. depending on which equipment is being used. I have a North trail and will be converting my camper to Direct tv. Will be changing the cable and using all approved equipment. I will post what info I can as I get it from work.