2012 Ford f350 superduty & cy3800

Fuel Mileage is like Golf Scores, some folks have a math problem. The new computers on the trucks measure it in different ways in different places and reset at different times, I found that out by READING THE MANUAL. If you set them correctly they ar pretty accurate. I get 11.2 to 12 with my F250 SD 4X4 6.7 towing my 3610 at 60 mph. I'm tickled to death. I'm retired and in no hurry thats why I drive in the right lane. I think the 3.73 axle overall gets the better mileage, mine is a 3.55.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Fuel Mileage is like Golf Scores, some folks have a math problem. The new computers on the trucks measure it in different ways in different places and reset at different times, I found that out by READING THE MANUAL. If you set them correctly they ar pretty accurate. I get 11.2 to 12 with my F250 SD 4X4 6.7 towing my 3610 at 60 mph. I'm tickled to death. I'm retired and in no hurry thats why I drive in the right lane. I think the 3.73 axle overall gets the better mileage, mine is a 3.55.
Actually I get about the same mileage, right around 11 + or - depending on flat land or not and that's with 3.73's towing on the interstate about 60-70tops.

The 350 DRW will give you room to spare. The suspension will handle it.
The odds are real good that you will need air bags to make the truck level, but it is not necessary.

The 450 will only give you a bit more capacity, but you will get a better turning radius and bigger brakes (almost 2" bigger).
SpringerDan on this site here has a 2011 450, we have a 2011 350. Similar towing, he gets about 1 mpg less with the higher gear ratio (450 has a 4.30 versus 3.73 on the 350)
Brakes:
Front 13.66-inch discs (F-250, F-350), 14.53-inch discs (F-450)
Rear 13.39-inch discs (F-250, F-350), 15.35-inch discs (F-450)

Duane & Debbie,

Can I up grade my brakes on my 350 to the bigger 450 brakes or is there a better after market brake system out there I should be looking at?

Thanks
Tim Eberly
SW Iowa
Prospective Heartland Owner

lwmcguir

Our F350 has plenty of brake capacity. Using the TH mode and the engine braking from that it handles the Augusta as good as our F550 with much larger brakes. The bottom line is the Coach brakes need to stop the Coach.

lwmcguir

I dont know.

What I do know is the ford engine brake is disappointing on hilly country roads pulling a heavy trailer.
Our F350 engine brake works well towing the Augusta or a load of cattle. The cattle far outweigh the Augusta. You do have to have the selector set to Tow/Haul for the engine brake to engage when you tap the brake pedal. Porthole there must be something wrong with your computer on your truck.

teamMCL

The Tow/Haul Mode works well in general. Rolling hills are the most challenging. Went to the Banks Speed Brake system and was like night and day. Also installed EBC green stuff pads and their Ultimax rotors. Not cheap, but have no worries on any hills. Went down a 6.5% grade fully loaded and Banks kept us at exactly 55mph.

porthole

Retired
Larry - yeah it's working , just disappointing. We were in ups and downs that we're 100-300 foot elevation changes in 1/4 to about 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile.

At times the engine was close to the 4000 rpm redline.

The truck needs a real exhaust brake, or better yet a Telma Retarder.

Mark, the banks brake is not available on the new Fords. Had one on my GMC and when it worked - it worked great.