2012 SD 2900MK - Mor/ryde IS Install?

Dean-Pam

I am looking to change out my current Lippert 1621 pin box with a Mor/Ryde pin box. After reading many of the more experienced drivers, I think this will help my ride.

I called Mor/Ryde to confirm the correct pin box part number and while talking to Austin, I had asked if they installed Mor/Ryde IS on my particular 5er. He said they can do the install at their facility in Elkhart. Austin said they would replace my 6K axles with 7K IS and disc brakes. I currently have drum brakes.

Question - Are there any Sundance members who have done this upgrade and would they do it again? I have read many BH and LM owners swear by this upgrade, but those 5er's are heavier than mine. I had my 5er weighed at the Urbanna National Rally and it weighed 11,225 lbs.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dean

jbeletti

Re: 2012 Sundance 2900MK IS Install

I don't have a Sundance and have never had IS, but I've spoke with maybe 100 people who have IS and they LOVE it. Like you mentioned though, is it really needed or would it be helpful on such a light weight unit? You might want to bounce that one back to Mor/ryde.

jnbhobe

Re: 2012 Sundance 2900MK IS Install

The 7K IS has 5 or 6 different springs available to adjust the ride. Disc brakes and IS are two of the best things you can do to your rig.

Dean-Pam

Thanks for the replies.

Jim - I asked Austin (Mor/Ryde) about the need with my smaller 5er and with him being in sales, he said it would definitely improve my ride. :) While I don't want to discount Austin, I would like to know about other Sundance owners who have done this upgrade (not cheap), but am willing to have it done when we attend the National Rally in Goshen. FYI - we plan to attend both the Pre-Rally and the Rally. We really enjoyed Urbanna and are looking forward to Goshen :)

ncc1701e

Can not speak to the axles, but the pin box change out is easy and I have done it on both Sundances we have had. You can do it in about an hour if you got a second person to help hold the pin box.

kkamshop

They will weigh your trailer before the install and put the proper rated springs on for its weight. MorRyde does excellent work and has an excellent product.

jbeletti

Dean,

Here's what I learned...

If the GVWR is under 10k, the CRE/3000 product is suggested. If the GVWR is over 10k, there is significant improvement in ride quality with IS. The suspension itself will be rated at 7k but they have a rubber spring designed for 5k axles so the same benefits would be realized.

Dean-Pam

Thanks Jim, I was going to call Gary Wheeler on Monday, but this info is great. We plan on upgrading in 4 years if we can find a floor plan we like as much as our Sundance, with the IS being one of many upgrades looking to incorporate in a new 5er. Between now and when we upgrade to a new 5er, we will be putting in a lot of miles. The ride isn't bad now, but if there is improvement, will look to do the IS upgrade now. Dean

jbeletti

Thanks Jim, I was going to call Gary Wheeler on Monday, but this info is great. We plan on upgrading in 4 years if we can find a floor plan we like as much as our Sundance, with the IS being one of many upgrades looking to incorporate in a new 5er. Between now and when we upgrade to a new 5er, we will be putting in a lot of miles. The ride isn't bad now, but if there is improvement, will look to do the IS upgrade now. Dean

My pleasure on the info. It's from Gary.

I plan to have IS for the first time on my next demo coach being built this month. Can't wait to feel the difference, though the RV should feel more of a difference than me in the cab. Plus, I NEED "IS". Current installs on LM365 product is lowering the coach about 2 inches. I need every bit of that to get into my garage. I could not get a LM365 in without IS as I have a 7 degree pitch on my driveway leading to a 14 foot tall door.

dewwood

Dean,
I have not had the IS installed but I did have a Sundance which I made several upgrades on. I first put heavier springs(after the original ones bent) and they helped immensely. I also added the wet bolt kit with an upgraded equalizer also new hubs with self adjusting brakes and a Trail Air Triglide hitch. All of these improvements really helped the ride and I felt were sufficient for the Sundance. I have since upgraded to a Bighorn and changed the Triglide hitch over to it and am considering the IS as the Bighorn is about 3000 to 4000 lbs heavier depending on how it is loaded.

So back to your original question, I would probably not invest in the IS on the Sundance especially if you are considering upgrading to a heavier unit in the foreseeable future. There are some upgrades, like the springs, that are not too expensive and I felt really helped.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Anything you add in $$$ you will not get back in a trade for a new unit. Maybe on a private sale??

Dean-Pam

In my case, I am not looking to make the upgrade based upon trade-in value, but to smooth out the ride, especially on the roads here on the East Coast. Though I set the cruise control on 62-63 mph, things still get jostled in the trailer. I can't imagine the inside of some of those trailers who blow my doors off going 70+.

Dean-Pam

Ordered a Mor/Ryde pin box to replace the factory one and it was delivered today. My son is going to give me a hand to install it this Saturday.

GOTTOYS

Ordered a Mor/Ryde pin box to replace the factory one and it was delivered today. My son is going to give me a hand to install it this Saturday.
It's really easy to switch them. Set a couple wooden blocks on your tailgate. Back under your pin box. Lower the trailer using the front jacks to get it so the pin box just touches the wooden blocks. Unbolt it and set it aside. Set the new pin box on the wooden blocks and position it so it lines up with where it bolts on. Raise or lower the front jacks on the trailer to get the right height to bolt it on. I have done mine by myself using this method. The only lifting involved is to set it on your tailgate. As they say...work smarter not harder...Good luck...Don

Cjackg

It's really easy to switch them. Set a couple wooden blocks on your tailgate. Back under your pin box. Lower the trailer using the front jacks to get it so the pin box just touches the wooden blocks. Unbolt it and set it aside. Set the new pin box on the wooden blocks and position it so it lines up with where it bolts on. Raise or lower the front jacks on the trailer to get the right height to bolt it on. I have done mine by myself using this method. The only lifting involved is to set it on your tailgate. As they say...work smarter not harder...Good luck...Don
Did mine singlehanded using same technique and a heavy rubber mat...
Repl-pinbox02.jpg Repl-Pinbox01.jpg

Miller0758

Dean, I changed mine a few months back and it made all the difference in the world. I just had a friend give me a hand lifting it. We got two back bolts in and then swung the front up ... Done. Make sure you torque your bolts.

Tundra2084

We also own a Sundance and found the ride a little tough to take on raods. Like others we invested in the Mar - Ryde pin box and it made a big difference. Also putting more weight in the front helped in keeping the nose more solidly seated where it should be.