2013 Caliber 26RLSS Questions

GeneF

Only had the rig for about a week and have a few questions that I need some help with.

Towel Rack in bathroom.

Is there any way to put a towel rack on the wall? The right hand side of the wall is on an angle and it seems to be a hollow wall. Also, from the medicine cabinat to the wall, it is 15 inches. Anyone know where to purchase a 15 inch towel holder?

We put one of the over-the-door towel holders in for now.

Tying down chairs and table

I combined two straps together to tie down one chair and table. Used the other strap for the second chair. Any othe way to do this better?

Slideout Override

I have talked to a rep about this but I cannot find where you would put the wrench (I didn't get one, have to see dealer) in to manually extend or take in the slide.

They said it is located on the facia of the slide and I would have to pop off a piece. I am assuming it might be the middle piece but can't see any way to take it off safely without hurting something.

Levellers or stabilisers

How much force do you use when they are down. I know they are not jacks. What I did on my Jayco was use the drill to get them to the ground and then do an additional half turn.

Finally, what do you to keep the trailer from bouncing around? I had the metal bal chocks that went between the wheels but the Caliber has too much space between to use them.

I did make two minor mods already.

1. Used some of those stick on hangars in the bedroom.

2. After much searching, we finally found a set of plastic stackable drawers that fit in the closet. Stacked four of them. We got them at Lowes. They are about 1/8 inch to wide but we can still open and close even though they brush against the door hinges. Used some velcroe to try to keep them from moving around but I have to work on that a bit more. Hard to find a flat spot that will be flat against the cabinats.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

I did try searching and looking around the site for some info. Hopefully this is the right forum.

Thanks again

jbeletti

Re: 2013 cALIBER 26RLSS QUESTIONS

Gene,

Thank you for buying a Heartland and welcome to the Heartland family.

On the towel bars, what I do is buy one that is closest to what I need, then I use a tubing cutter to shorten the bar to the length I need, prior to installation. Works great. If you don't have a tubing cutter, you can use a hack saw or ask the store to use a tubing cutter to cut it down to the length you want. Bear in mind that the length of the tube will be shorter than the total width of the area of installation as the ends of the towel bars take up space too.

On the stabilizers, I think you are doing it right. When I had a TT, I would level using boards or leg blocks under the low side tires, then lower all the stabilizers until they were on the ground taking some pressure - then just a bit more. I also used a cordless drill with proper attachment.

Regarding the chair tie downs, I am not familiar with your chairs, but sounds like you have found a system that works for you. Some people don't tie theirs down, some do. Everything is tied down pretty well from the factory to help prevent even the tiniest of scratches. I have 2 chairs at my table and don't tie them down. I even removed the tie down rings from the floor. Easier on bare feet and the vacuum cleaner.

Can't help you on the slide room over-ride. Never looked for one, never actuated one manually.

pegmikef

Re: 2013 cALIBER 26RLSS QUESTIONS

I think the Calibur 26RLSS floorplan and trailer is pretty similar to the North Trail Model.

Here's a link to a discussion of towel bars that may give you an idea. The only place I found to install it was above and behind the toilet. The double bar I used I bought at Westlake Hardware.

//heartlandowners.org/showt...ht=#post229708

There should be a crank in your storage compartment for the slide (there was in mine so talk to your dealer if it is missing). The access hole to manually crank the slide should be located just to the right of the kitchen door steps (again, at least it is on mine). It is in the plastic facia and has a rubber gromet on it. I don't think the folks that told you it was located on the slide have any idea where it is (unless Heartland/Lippert really made a drastic change in two years).

I have electric jacks now, but on my Edge, I did it the same way you are and level it and this one the way Jim mentioned. Bal makes X Chocks for the wide track wheels. I use two of those for additional stability. Here's a link to an example of the extended chocks.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bal+extended+X+chock&_sacat=50067&_odkw=bal+chock&_osacat=50067

IMHO on tying stuff down, whatever works is right. We don't always use the tie downs and just pack pillows or boxes around the moveable items.

Some other mods I made were drawers for the useless deep shelf on the night stand, add a 12 volt outlet in the bedroom so I can run a fan when we are boondocking, and ran another rg60 coax cable for my statellite receiver.