2014 Big Bend Open Road Race

HornedToad

Had a blast last weekend working the course at the most challenging road race in the world...

Every April they close off 60 miles of Hwy 285 between Ft Stockton & Sanderson, Texas and have course workers posted at the gates to keep traffic off the highway. This year 160 cars ran south in the morning then back north in the afternoon. The race is against the clock with the winner closest to their MPH in six divisions from Unlimited (175+ MPH) down to Street Rod (95 MPH).

Notice the spotter plane over my toy hauler following the racer. You can hear the drone of the plane engine once the car passes. David Cudd in his '99 Corvette #114 is outrunning the plane!!!

Very cool. I had no idea they did this out there. We go to Terlingua frequently for the chili cookoff week in late October/early November. Quite a party! Thanks for sharing. Where would I get more info on this event?

HornedToad

Very cool. I had no idea they did this out there. We go to Terlingua frequently for the chili cookoff week in late October/early November. Quite a party! Thanks for sharing. Where would I get more info on this event?

The form is on the website to volunteer as a course worker, also know as a free spectator pass. You must attend a course worker meeting Friday evening and afterwards you can go out and set up camp on your assigned gate.

http://www.bborr.com/

Several years back one of my friends showed us (Helen) his photo album from Terlingua...
I don't have permission to go!!!

ParkIt

The Nevada ORR every year is the one I've been to a few times, pit crew work. Have a friend who has been doing ORR for over 20 years - four years ago he gave it up after being the navigator and a vulture smashed through the window into his face helmet. He had video of it, we were busting up laughing because Bill (the driver) yelled "GET OVER IT CUPCAKE. I NEED THE NEXT NAV POINT ASAP!" and you could hear Boyce screaming like a school girl trying to get blood and feathers off the nav map. Good times ;)

Hot August Nights for fun is one I used to go to often but haven't been for awhile, starting to get the itch to go this year though might try to plan for Big Bend next year, looks like a tough course!

Steve,, do you cook chili at Terlingua? Or any of the other cookoff's?

Jim M

I used to cook every weekend somewhere and placed third in the Texas State Championship one year and runner up in Colorado State another year. My late wife placed twice top ten at Terlingua and won the Texas State Championship. My new bride and I are invited every year to go out and judge at Terlingua. We bought our rig and became full timers with plans to travel after retirement (three more years, God willing.) We plan to spend summers in Oregon on the coast and winters in the deep south, planning our transition around that last week in October in Terlingua. Right now, I need to find a tow vehicle so we can use the new rig for short runs in the meantime. We are so excited about learning the ins and outs of full timing... sometimes a bit stressful, but we're getting the hang of it. If I get the tow vehicle, we'll probably get out on the chili trail again.

The form is on the website to volunteer as a course worker, also know as a free spectator pass. You must attend a course worker meeting Friday evening and afterwards you can go out and set up camp on your assigned gate.

http://www.bborr.com/

Several years back one of my friends showed us (Helen) his photo album from Terlingua...
I don't have permission to go!!!

Thanks for the info. Probably not this year, but would love to help with this. It can get pretty raunchy at Terlingua, but they're doing a good job of containing that part of it to a particular area. There are just so many great people out there every year and its our only chance to see some of them that come from all over the US.

jimtoo

Then I'm pretty sure you know Brent and Becky,,,, The Buzzard Bar team. They are our really good friends. OK,, back to RV'ing. :)

Jim M