2015 Big Country - No More Desks

Bohemian

Thanks for lots of good suggestions. Still burned at Heartland, especially their response.

Never thought about the cats. That's great, and obvious in hindsight.

Yes, laptops on the laptop. However, their are just some detailed tasks that I can't do that way. LOL

It's obvious that not everyone wants or needs a desk. It's equally obvious that many do.

In another sense, they took away a high capacity draw and put in a blank space behind the front fascia. Oh, and moved the stereo down out of the cabinet and intrusively in eyesight.

To me, a loss/loss.

caissiel

I use the desk area in our 2009 3500RL almost everyday. It stores my desktop PC with 3G hard drive. The printer and 24in TV/monitor screen. The desktop PC is a complete entertaiment system with a 200 watt guitar amplifier that doubles as a PC speaker system. It cannot be any better. Never will be satisfied with the portables and tablettes. In fact I and writing this using the tablette.

In addition I need the 24in monitor for my drafting/engineering projects.

Because music is my retirement hobby the desk serves me well.
Of course the wife uses the extendable kitchen table.
The location of the W/D, the huge rear desk and larger living room is what we like best about our unit.
In 6 years of ownership we have not come across a better layout. Guess we will just love our unit longer. No newer models for us.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use the desk area in our 2009 3500RL almost everyday. It stores my desktop PC with 3G hard drive. The printer and 24in TV/monitor screen. The desktop PC is a complete entertaiment system with a 200 watt guitar amplifier that doubles as a PC speaker system. It cannot be any better. Never will be satisfied with the portables and tablettes. In fact I and writing this using the tablette.

In addition I need the 24in monitor for my drafting/engineering projects.

Because music is my retirement hobby the desk serves me well.
Of course the wife uses the extendable kitchen table.
The location of the W/D, the huge rear desk and larger living room is what we like best about our unit.
In 6 years of ownership we have not come across a better layout. Guess we will just love our unit longer. No newer models for us.

We feel the same about our 3670. The big selling point for us (well, the wife and my evil older sister), was the kitchen layout and storage.

MCTalley

Our 2015 Big Country 6350rl has a desk that pulls out under the TV...

You may have an earlier build like us. Our 3950FB (July, 2014 build) has a pull-out "shelf" desk under the TV. The other 3950FB that the dealer had on their lot (February, 2015 build) had the previously mentioned stereo and pair of speakers in that space.

At first, we were 50-50 on the pull-out desk since we tend to sit in our respective chairs and use laptops and lap desks. Then it occurred to me that my desktop computer (a Mac Mini) could use the TV as a large monitor and the pullout desk makes a good place to put the keyboard and trackpad. My initial thought was to use my recliner and a lap tray for the keyboard/trackpad, but even just across the living room smaller text was too hard to read on the 42" TV.

farside291

Now I get it, I have the 2015 3950FB that I bought in May 2014 and was wondering why mine didn't have the same features as other 3950FB models of the same year. For example I don't have a radio under the TV above the fireplace, I have a pull out desk with a drawer, I also don't have the solid surface stove covers. Were those all available on later models of the 2015 year?

StrongJava

I know this is an older thread, but I'm going to weigh in. When we shopped for used RVs, we were hardly looking at brand. We were looking at floor plans and what we felt would work best for us being full timers and doing technology consulting. A desk is a must, and that is what drew us to the BH3670RL. In fact, I do my own wood working, and before I packed up my shop, I made mods to my desk area:

1) Ripped out the shelf inside the cabinet below the desk and added an equipment rack. Now my computers and drives are firmly mounted.
2) Mounted a dual-monitor stand in desk top to hold my monitors.
3) Built and added an extension to the desk that sticks out from the desk about 38" from the right side. The legs swing down to provide a rigid work surface.

I spend nearly all of my time inside at my desk. For me, having a desk is a no-brainer. If we had not been able to find a coach with a desk, we probably would have gotten rid of the couch or one of the recliners to build a full desk. We even considered getting a toy hauler and modifying that area into an office. So, there are options out there, but having a desk already present to expand was what sold us on this model.

Tim

caissiel

We love our 2009 BC. After a lot of shows looking for better we just concluded that layouts are for looks and first impressions.
We live full time in our unit and had experience in a previous one.
The wife works at the table and I have the desk area setup with my desktop computer, printer. Even the amplifier fits besides the fireplace. I work at my station as my wife is busy at the table. And the TV is on as we observe and work.
No way we are moving up to a heavier unit with much less room in the living area.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I see I posted that a desk was important to us, earlier in the thread. Well, fast forward, we got a Big Country and added a desk! Our BC 4010RD had opposing couches in the living room slides. We removed one and made a great office out of that space. Big enough for a full sized all-in-one printer, laptop, external monitor, files, and yes, two cats.

IMG_9197.jpg IMG_9195.jpg

Heartland could easliy create an optional desk arrangement in this slide -- swap couch for desk.

StrongJava

And I maintain they could back off the humungous TVs and fireplaces as an option to the set-up in the Big Horn 3760EL.

As it is, I think we're holding off again this year, or at least for the first part. I do like your set-up, but we really want to keep the vehicle length under (or at least closer to) 40'.