2016 Bighorn 3585RL Slam locks

rmathews

We love out new 2016 Bighorn 3585RL.
This was our 3rd weekend staying in it .
Problem : The front storage compartment slam locks are very very difficult to ge the key in and out of.
As a result - I broke a key off in one of the locks tonight.
I've tried spraying lube in - which helps a little.
Question - can the lock be replaced or does the entire slam lock need to be replaced?
I see 4 screws on the back side, but didn't have time to take it apart. Is the process to remove the 4 screws and the lock can be replaced?

Where can I get replacement locks?
Thanks!

Mine were hard also . I used a liberal amount of graphite powder into all the locks and worked them. Now there all easy to slide the key in and open. It comes in a small tube and I found it at Wal-Mart in the automotive department. Liquid lubricant usually attracts dirt and can gum them up.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gasman

Camp Socializer
Rick, sorry to hear you are having trouble. Contact Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Have the last 6 numbers of your VIN#. They will be able to help you with replacements. Depending on the type of latches you have, there may be some pop rivets in the back cover that need to be drilled out and then remove the screws and the latch slides out. If you are interested in joining the owner's club, you will receive a 10% discount on parts from the factory. It is always possible that this may be a warranty issue. It never hurts to ask. Good Luck.

danemayer

Get a spray lock lubricant from a locksmith. General purpose lubricants can be a problem. Graphite may help, but since you already have used a lubricant, I'm not sure how they will mix.

rmathews

I started using a dry lubricant when the key broke off.
I only see 4 screws on the back side of the latch.
I see the Southco replacement latch costs $86.00 !

Calling Heartland tomorrow. Hopefully they will replace it.
Worst case I could remove the latch and try to get the broken off key out. But -
it was very difficult getting the whole key out with the key handle, so not sure this will work.
At least one latch will lock.

Thanks!

Geodude

Yeah, those new locks can be really sticky and hard to operate. I too almost broke a key. I ended up spraying the locks with silicon lube, worked them a lot and they slowly loosened up. You just need to wear things down a bit, especially the keys.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also use silicon lube on all of our locks at least once a year but sometimes twice.

rmathews

I contacted Heartland today and they want a picture of the label inside the door and a picture outside the door with a brief description
of how this happened. Looks like they will replace the latch under warranty.

We shall see.

Oregon_Camper

I contacted Heartland today and they want a picture of the label inside the door and a picture outside the door with a brief description
of how this happened. Looks like they will replace the latch under warranty.

We shall see.

No luck with Curtis?

rmathews

I stay away from Curtis repairs unless I need to. Just for grins I'll stop by tomorrow to see what they say. :p