2017 LM Charleston plumbing

legrosen1

Does anyone here have, or know where I may find, a plumbing schematic/diagram for our 2017 Charleston? We are experiencing strong "rotten egg" odors whenever we drain and flush the holding tanks. The Boss puts several inches of water in the sinks before I open any valves, but the smell persists.

We have had a leak from the #1 tank previously, which eventually caused the chloroplast liner to fall (thankfully while parked!) Once I removed the saturated insulation and all of the attendant garbage left behind by the factory assembly crew, I reinstalled the liner and everything at that time was dry and odor free underneath.

Thanks in advance!
asset.php

Attachments

• ALFLGAKYLAMSNYOHPATNsm.jpg
    ALFLGAKYLAMSNYOHPATNsm.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 24

danemayer

Hi legrosen1,

You might be able to get a plumbing diagram from Heartland, but I'm not sure how much it will help you with this problem. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Some things to check:

1) studor air admittance valves - if the seal fails, tank odors will come into the living area. Studor valves are typically in places like the kitchen island and the bathroom vanity. They provide venting where it's not practical or possible to install a vent to the roof. Put a plastic bag over the studor valve and if the odor goes away, get a replacement at a big box hardware store.
Studor Air Admittance Valve annotated.jpg

2) The kitchen drain pipe may have an uncapped fitting for a dishwasher drain hose. If so, cap it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We have a landmark Ashland and we often get this smell with all valves closed. I changed the Studor valve last year and it didn't help. I've changed out the vents on the roof to the 360 Siphon vents, still smells. I've put a ton of odor packs in the tanks. Still smells.
It ticking me off that I can't figure it out.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

paulh

We have a landmark Ashland and we often get this smell with all valves closed. I changed the Studor valve last year and it didn't help. I've changed out the vents on the roof to the 360 Siphon vents, still smells. I've put a ton of odor packs in the tanks. Still smells.
It ticking me off that I can't figure it out.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jerrod - We also had the bad smells even after replacing two studor valves. My DW, who has a nose like a black lab, traced the source to where the vent line penetrates the roof in the washer/dryer space. With this info eliminating a possible broken vent pipe, allowing fumes in, I figured the problem was in the roof vent. I took it apart and discovered that the original vents Heartland uses may not be so inferior but they were not installed correctly. There was not any kind of sealant around the vent pipe and roof sheating, thus allowing fumes to work back in through the ceiling space. This probably occurs when atmospheric conditions create negative pressures. It was then compounded when we turned on the bath fan. I didn't take pictures of that one but I did of the next two roof vents I replaced. I liked the 360 Syphon roof vent design that everybody talked about so installed them. I opted to use the first generation 360 Syphon, P/N 364464, because I thought it looked stronger than the second generation vent. I believe gen two was developed to install right over the original vent base but doesn't cure the real problem. You still have to take the whole thing apart, clean it up and install sealant around the vent pipe. I prefer rope caulk and worked it into the gaps, pic 3. These gaps weren't as bad as my first vent but it stills shows what's needed. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 60
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 49
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 44
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 44
  • #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 46

budman229

Hi legrosen1,

You might be able to get a plumbing diagram from Heartland, but I'm not sure how much it will help you with this problem. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Some things to check:

1) studor air admittance valves - if the seal fails, tank odors will come into the living area. Studor valves are typically in places like the kitchen island and the bathroom vanity. They provide venting where it's not practical or possible to install a vent to the roof. Put a plastic bag over the studor valve and if the odor goes away, get a replacement at a big box hardware store.
View attachment 51978

2) The kitchen drain pipe may have an uncapped fitting for a dishwasher drain hose. If so, cap it.

We discovered this past weekend that the dishwasher drain was not capped. problem solved.

Lou_and_Bette

Jerrod, I had the same issue as paulh. When I packed the gaps to reduce the amount of filler material and caulked well, and odors went away ;)