2017 Torque 321 AC output lacking

weekender01

I have looked back through posts on the AC outputs and amhaving the same problems others have experienced (lack of cooling), but havechecked and fixed several things others have mentioned.

We just got back from camping at Panama City Beach RV Resort and the day timetemps were only around 81 so I fear what is in store when it is summer and 95+degrees. While we have 2 Dometic ACunits (bedroom and living area), they struggled to cool the camper in main livingarea. We set the living room unit around74 and the bedroom unit around 71 to push the air, but the living room unitnever shut down. Here are the things Ihave checked and fixed so far.

• Removed, cleaned and reinstalled the air returnfilters
  • Checked the return air/cold air damper and foundthe bedroom one had come down allowing the air to just recirculate. Taped that with foil tape.
  • Removed every air vent and checked the foil tapefor any holes and found several holes so taped those as well.
Even after doing these few things the living area just doesnot cool very well. I did not stick myphone up in the vents to see if there are any obstructions so I will do thatnext time. Any suggestionson the next step of things to do or that I need to check?
My neighbor has a different camper (Jayco Northpoint), but their2 AC units seem to keep his camper much cooler than ours and he is 4 feetlonger than us. Your guidance is greatlyappreciated.

BlackT

We have a 2015 Torque 321 which may or may not be the same as your 2017, but we had the same problem and this is what worked for us. First we did the Tim K tent mod described on a sticky somewhere in the forum on the back ac and that made a tremendous increase in airflow out of the vents. We don't need cooling in the garage so we blocked those vents with saran wrap. Those vents have closable louvers but they don't seal off completely. Just pull the vents off, lay a piece of saran wrap over the backside and snap it back on. Then trim the excess saran wrap off. We also had a problem with both ac's where they would shut off intermittently even with the fans on high. We removed the lower covers and sealed all around the thin foam inlet/outlet separator with duct tape. The separator was allowing re-circulation of cold air directly from the outlet to the inlet and was causing the thermister to get cold enough to shut off the ac. After sealing up the separator, neither ac has shut off prematurely. Since making these mods, the ac perfomance has been satisfactory, even out in West Texas heat.

Cabindoc

What black T said. Some units have a lever where you can slide the vents to either route air through the vents or directly into the room. Try later setting and see if it cools room down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skippydo

I have looked back through posts on the AC outputs and amhaving the same problems others have experienced (lack of cooling), but havechecked and fixed several things others have mentioned.

We just got back from camping at Panama City Beach RV Resort and the day timetemps were only around 81 so I fear what is in store when it is summer and 95+degrees. While we have 2 Dometic ACunits (bedroom and living area), they struggled to cool the camper in main livingarea. We set the living room unit around74 and the bedroom unit around 71 to push the air, but the living room unitnever shut down. Here are the things Ihave checked and fixed so far.

• Removed, cleaned and reinstalled the air returnfilters
  • Checked the return air/cold air damper and foundthe bedroom one had come down allowing the air to just recirculate. Taped that with foil tape.
  • Removed every air vent and checked the foil tapefor any holes and found several holes so taped those as well.
Even after doing these few things the living area just doesnot cool very well. I did not stick myphone up in the vents to see if there are any obstructions so I will do thatnext time.Any suggestionson the next step of things to do or that I need to check?
My neighbor has a different camper (Jayco Northpoint), but their2 AC units seem to keep his camper much cooler than ours and he is 4 feetlonger than us. Your guidance is greatlyappreciated.

I don't want to sound flip, but have you tried to set your temp much lower. Perhaps 68 verses 74?

We live in SouthEast NC and there is not way we could stand a 74' setting. We have taken it down to 62 already. Our sales rep had it at 58'
It might be a good idea to call directly to the ac manufacture for guidelines on how low you can go.