3 air conditioners on 4200

Hello all. I plan to take delivery of my 4200 at the beginning of August. I have ordered it with 3 ACs. I have read over this forum and found some closed threads that discussed the functionality. As I understand it, I will be able to run the living area ac alone, or living area and bedroom, or living area and garage. I see that other owners of a 3 AC unit have looked into modification so they can run the bedroom and garage ac at the same time. This makes sense if you had two sets of people sleeping in the respectable areas. I called Heartland's customer service line. I asked if the ACs were ducted together and was told that the living room and bedroom are. I am assuming this would solve the cooling concerns in the bedroom at night if I run the garage and living room ACs. Am I correct in my assumption?

Thanks..

Beau

scottyb

Depends where you are. No way we could get by w/o the bedroom AC in Texas. If we were in Colorado, we probably could.

mixie57

The AC ducts to the bedroom didn't cool to our satisfaction. Most women of retirement age can't sleep unless it is cold in the bedroom. Besides that, when we had company, we put them in our bedroom, leaving us sleeping on the uncomfortable bunk in the garage with no AC. We just paid $240 for an RV tech to modify ours to run all three. We didn't put the switch back in as we can control each AC with the respective thermostats. We paid $12 for the Romex and $10 for the additional breaker. I will caution you that if you have all three running, don't run the microwave & dryer. It blows the breaker on the post. That said, I am very happy with the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick responses. My current use will be my wife and I sleeping in the bedroom and my 3 large dogs (100 lb lab and 2 great danes) sleeping in the garage. The dogs put off a ton of heat so their AC will definitely have to be on when they are in the camper. I just want to make sure it is comfortable for us to sleep in the bedroom.

pcardoza

We took delivery of our 4100 King ('14 model) in May. Our experience may be different, because it appears HL has come to their senses on how best to wire in the 3 AC unit models.

Ours came wired with NO option to run the BR/LR together. We could run the BR/Garage (switch up), the LR/Garage (switch down) or the Garage alone (switch center). Our dealer saw the stupidity in this setup and graciously rewired the RV for us, basically swapping the Garage and LR units in the above setup. We still cannot run all 3 simultaneously, but so far, even on the hottest days this has not been an issue.

In fact, for us, the BR unit is so bloody loud, we cool the coach down with both running, then leave only the LR unit running at night and the BR/LR stay very cool.

In our unit, all 3 zones are ducted together. When the LR unit is running, cool air does come out of both the BR and garage vents, but not at high volume by any means.

I'll suggest that unless you are trying to sleep in Texas, during the heat of the day, 2 AC units will do an admirable job of cooling the unit well.

I do find that with 2AC units running along with the Stacked Dryer, if DW tries using a hair dryer, the breaker on the power pole will trip. So rewiring for 3 AC units to run all together would definitely be pushing the limits.

scottyb

If you parked where we camp a lot, you would run the BR AC whether you needed it or not.:cool:

If you can't run all 3 AC's on 50A shore power and pretty much everything else in the RV at the same time, there is either a load balancing problem in the panel or a line loss problem going into the pedestal. If the load is balanced, you should be able to add up everything electrical in the coach and not come up to 100A or 12KW. Many MH's with 3 AC's only have a 7.5 KW genny. Some have a 10 KW.

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 48