3 Dump Valves on Bunk House, not labeled which one is Black?

deuce02

Just picked up a new 2015 North Trail 28DBSS from the dealer today, during the inspection notice there was 3 dump valves and they were not lableled. Asked which one was grey which was black said they would label for me. Well after all the paper work, pouring rain, setting up hitch forgot to check they did not label.

Any help on which is grey and which is black. On driver side there is one pipe closest to front tongue with two handles going under underbelly, and one pipe closest to the bumper with 1 external dump valve gate?

Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi deuce02,

Congratulations on the new North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Perhaps someone with the same model will chime in, but if not, sometimes the easiest way to figure out which is which is to run some water and open one valve at a time. Of course that approach works better if you haven't yet used the black tank. Another approach is to use food dye to identify which drain goes where.

jimtoo

OR,,, make some coffee,,, dump in kitchen sink,,,, make some tea,,, dump in shower ,,,, then... do the taste test after using the pot..... then you will know... Coffe,, Tea or Me..

TxCowboy

Jimtoo's comment notwithstanding (funny, Jimtoo!), buy some cheap brightly colored food dyes, like red, from the baking aisle of almost any food store. Add one dye to a grey tank, dump each grey tank individually and see which one shows the color.

Two things: You will need to know which plumbing goes to each grey tank. You'll also need to have a clear or translucent elbow on your sewer hose so you can observe what is draining out.

EDIT: I didn't talk to the black water tank. What comes out of there is pretty obvious. :)

HTH.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think the simplest way is with all tanks empty put about 2-3 gallons of water in the shower drain. Then go outside and pull handles till you see the clear water come out. That would be the gray tank. Then do the same for the toilet. Be sure to label them when you find out which is which.