37 Ultimate A/C froze up?

shive787

Any help or comments would be appreciated before I take this thing to the dealer.

Currently camping in Doswell, Va. Weather has been in the upper 80's and sometimes 90's with high humidity. Had my thermostat set to 70 deg and fan set to auto. Unit has run pretty much none stop since we arrived here Monday.

Tuesday night I noticed a puddle of water on the kitchen floor and saw it was coming from the A/C unit. Climbed on the roof and sure enough the unit was frozen. Turned off the unit and turned the fan on then let it run all night with just the fan to dry everything up. Wednesday morning it's seems to be working. Also the air coming threw the ducts feels weak. If I open the vents on the unit it blows hard. But when I close it, air just trickles out of the vents.

Let me know if this is normal or if I might have a problem with the unit.

Thanks!

-Wade

2014' ElkRidge 37 Ultimate

EPaulikonis

Not sure what your rooftop unit looks like, but A/C will typically freeze if airflow isn't good due to a clogged filter. If you can, clean the filter and try again. Could also be due to low refrigerant in the system or the condenser coils being too dirty restricting airflow. At least a few things to check.

shive787

Not sure what your rooftop unit looks like, but A/C will typically freeze if airflow isn't good due to a clogged filter. If you can, clean the filter and try again. Could also be due to low refrigerant in the system or the condenser coils being too dirty restricting airflow. At least a few things to check.

Checked filter and it's clean. The unit seems to be draining ok also. Will check the condenser coils next. Thanks!

-Wade

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JWalker, in short YES. slow moving air over the evaporator and high humidity will cause the evaporator coils to freeze every time. When they are frozen solid, you will get no airflow out the vents. Cars and trucks will do the same thing if the fan setting is to low on hot humid days.

shive787

A/C has been set to 78 all week and is not freezing up. I tried switching fan to hi and the air still trickles out of the vents. Guessing I have a problem in the ducts cause it's blows good out of the unit.

Thanks for all the help!

-Wade

We have the same airflow issue with our 37 ultimate we have little to no airflow from the ducts on the off door side of the Rv but good flow from the ducts in the 1/2 bath and the door side duct in the bunk room. We took the unit in for warranty work and the service department installed a baffle in the air distribution box and said it was a design flaw. It isn't much better than before. We have to run both ac units to keep the unit at 78 during the days that it's 90 outside. We are camping until the end of July and then it's going back to the service center for another look as well as other issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shive787

We have the same airflow issue with our 37 ultimate we have little to no airflow from the ducts on the off door side of the Rv but good flow from the ducts in the 1/2 bath and the door side duct in the bunk room. We took the unit in for warranty work and the service department installed a baffle in the air distribution box and said it was a design flaw. It isn't much better than before. We have to run both ac units to keep the unit at 78 during the days that it's 90 outside. We are camping until the end of July and then it's going back to the service center for another look as well as other issues

Thanks Richie9180.

Since it's a design flaw. Have you contacted the factory about it?

Wonder if I should post something in the ask the factory forum.

-Wade

I haven't really pushed the issue I wanted to give the service department a chance at fixing it first but if they can't I plan on calling heartland directly for answers

shive787

Let me know how thing go.

I have little to no faith with my service department. So I might contact the factory after I take it in.

-Wade

Let me know if you get any answers. I also think I have an ac issue since I can feel a vibration when my compressor is running. I don't feel it in my bedroom ac. We already replaced the bedroom ac due to loss of freon.

shive787

When mine froze it sounded terrible!

I posted this in the ask the factory forum. So hopefully they will help out.

-Wade

shive787

Richie9180,

So I did that TimK tent mod this weekend that's on the forum here. Definitely doubled the airflow coming out of the vents. Now I only had the fan running so now sure how it will effect the AC and since it's cooler out now I won't be able to put the strain on the unit like before. The mod took me about 90min to complete, it's very simple. I would definitely give this a shot if your still having problems with the flow. I will try and past a link on here to the mod.

-Wade

shive787

Here is the link to the mod I did.

//heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=294790

-Wade

ndmac

Make sure the insulated divider (remove filter to check it. Should be sealed tight against the frame between Hot - intake and Cold Air output) is in place and/or taped to prevent the Warm moist air from mixing with the cool air coming out. This was my problem, I pushed divider back in place but it kept pushing out causing gap. I taped it with Aluminum furnace tape and no issue since.

shive787

Make sure the insulated divider (remove filter to check it. Should be sealed tight against the frame between Hot - intake and Cold Air output) is in place and/or taped to prevent the Warm moist air from mixing with the cool air coming out. This was my problem, I pushed divider back in place but it kept pushing out causing gap. I taped it with Aluminum furnace tape and no issue since.

Yeah that was ok. Thanks for the info!

-Wade