3mnth old elk ridge broken down 7xs!!!

tazzxx

Ok so i traded a 13 wildwood for a 35' elkridge in july and in 3 months most everything electronic has been replaced or repaired 1 to 4 times! Convertor 2xs, breakers, front jacks 3xs, microwave, ref ridge, outlets, led awning lights, marker lights, leaky slider seals, leaky sinks 2xs, and the list continues as its there being fixed again cause the hot water heater won't work amongst 5 other major issues! Oh i forgot the bathroom cabinet and clothing shelf in berm fell off the wall on my way home w it and have yet to be replaced! Are all of heartlands rvs this crappy?

danemayer

Hi tazzxx,

Sorry to hear you've had so many failures. For this many electrical devices to fail, it sounds like maybe there was some type of major electrical event that stressed the 12V devices. Was there any memorable external event that got all this started? Thunderstorm perhaps? Battery changes?

olcoon

RV's are just like anything else, unfortunately sometimes you just get one that isn't right. I've heard of & talked to people who have had very little if anything major go wrong with theirs, and some who have nothing but problems. With our Elk Ridge, for the first year it seemed like we were at the dealer more than camping, nothing major, & I could have taken care of the issues, but I figured it's under warranty...why should I mess with it? Since then we've had very few issues, and I took care of 99% of them. Seeing that you've had a lot of electrical problems, I was wondering if the problem could be with the power supply into your coach. I'm not an electrical wizard by any means, I know enough not to mess with it. But it's possible that your problems could be from the campground's power. Are you using any type of EMS (Electrical Management System)? Basically it's a surge protector for the entire RV. Shortly after we got ours I got the cheapest one I could find (around $100.00) and used it for about 2 years & didn't have any issues. It was the type that plugged into the pedestal and would tell me at least if it was wired correctly. Then I found out that it wouldn't protect the coach for a lot of things that could go wrong, and installed a hard wired EMS that is supposed to cover all the bases. Then again, with all your issues there may be a short or something causing your problem. There are a lot of people on here with a lot more knowledge than me & I'm sure some of them will speak up soon. Don't know what to say about the other issues. Good luck & I hope you get everything taken care of so you can start enjoying your camper!!!

readytohitheroad

Olcoon, what other expensive items (over $25k) have you purchased that have quality issues similar to what was posted here? I, personally, am not aware of any. My wife and I are really struggling with our decision to full time in an RV due to the many quality issues we read about here and on SOB websites. Scares us to think we may spent $60k on something that from a quality perspective is worth half that. And seemingly everyone thinks this is OK. I just do not understand that. I just read another post where a black tank fell off a nearly brand new rig. I am just confused over this issue.

iawoody2

I think all companies have some issues with quality. People who have problems tend to vend their problems and rightfully so. But if you think of the thousands of units sold compared to the number of people expressing problems there are obviously many more people who are satisfied. On another forum their is a owner of a $800000 coach who having major issues, it can and does happen with all companies.

MTPockets

I would think something very unusual caused your electric failures. A qualified electrician should check it out. We have full timed in our Big Horn now three years and the only warranty work was a failed awning motor which was covered by Dometic under their two year warranty. Failure was caused by a bad switch which they replaced with a new design. We did have a couple items we didn't like, but no failures. All in all, a very good quality Big Horn.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I happened upon a facebook page of someone with Some Other Brand (SOB), and they were having major and minor issues with a similarly priced coach to mine. However, the continuing posts and others that "felt their pain" all said the same thing. That manufacturer would not stand behind their product. Even when it was obviously a manufacturing defect, like a slide built too small for the hole--gaps on the sides of the slides letting water and wind inside--the manufacturer would no authorize proper corrective measures as recommended from a mobile tech and selling dealer.

I can say, in Instances where it would be easy for HL to "pass the buck", they have offered parts and service direct to customers to fix issues, in and out of warranty.

The one thing I don't think any manufacturer can touch is their dedication to supporting the Heartland Owners Club. Who else has a Director of Owners Interests (JimB)? We are greatly blessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk