$5.50 charge for Canadians to enter U.S

Urban350

This thread can be removed if deemed unsuitable. I am just wondering if anybody knows the reason for charging Canadians to enter the U.S. ($5.50) or what they think of it. I also think it will be only for air and sea travelers but correct me if I am wrong. Again I am not trying to start an arguement just trying to understant it. Also it will not stop me from traveling to the U.S.

olcoon

Sounds kind of strange to me. I haven't heard of this before, and personally, I don't understand it, or think it's right. Probably something our current adminstration has come up with. Seems like every time I turn around they are coming up with stuff like this. I'll admit, $5.50 isn't much, but it still doesn't seem right!

branson4020

Icantre Member
I don't know if this is something new for the US, but many,many countries charge all sorts of fees for both entry and exit through thier borders.

loafer

We travel to the US allot and it wont stop us . If they keep it to air and sea travel then we will not be affected with our truck and trailer. We understand that the current administration is looking for ways to help with the debt.Dont think its right but we love travelling in the US and still have lots to see and do.
Just my .02 cents
Bill

Speedy

I read about on Drudge yesterday and it is true and only for Air and sea travelers. It has been law for years (part of NAFTA) but wavied for various reasons. Since the US is broke they are going after any monies they can find.

I just got dinged $2.00 for late title transfer on my new BC3650. Tried to explain that I was using it out of state after purchase and did not receive the certificate of origin from the dealer until after we got back. I had ten days to file from date of purchase, nine days on the road and a weekend to unpack. Eleven days; so sorry. You must pay penalty. This is one of many reasons I make my major purchases out of state.

irvin56

Yes it's for any form of entry into the states. They are trying to get money for the governmnet to waste more of it and to help out their economy. Global news watch says now to go from Calgary, AB. CAN to California USA is now (through a travel agent, flying) 7 different taxs anding 30 percent to cost. Taxs taxing more taxs. Isn't our Governments full of some nice people. I can not print what I think
No wonder everyone is broke

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
And to think that crossing into Mexico and back into the United States on cost us a quarter. A real value, but then there are all those poor people that have to wade the river to avoid the quarter cost.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Flying to the U.S.? Get ready to pay $5.50 tax

CTVNews.ca Staff
Canadian travellers heading to the United States will once again have to pay a $5.50 levy when they enter the country by air or sea.
The return of the tax comes as Washington signs a new free trade deal with Colombia, which has a provision that does not allow tariff exemptions for travellers from the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada.
The trade deal was passed last Friday, leaving Canadian officials like International Trade Minister Ed Fast disappointed.
"Raising taxes at the border just raises costs on consumers," Fast said in a statement. "Canadian officials have raised concerns about the removal of this exemption at the highest level. We will continue to raise Canada's concerns with U.S. lawmakers."
It wasn't immediately clear when the charge will go into effect, but the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama has been analyzing its 2012 budget shortfalls.
The charge exemption was brought into effect in 1997 under provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
But with the U.S. facing a national debt of $14 trillion, Washington is looking for ways to cut costs and increase revenues.
Still, critics say that the new tax shows that the Conservative government isn't doing enough to represent Canada's interests in Washington.
"When it comes to defending the interests of Canadians, Conservatives have shown they cannot be trusted," said Robert Chisholm, who is the NDP's international trade critic.
Around 7 million Canadians fly to the U.S. annually, with thousands arriving by boat aboard ferries along the coasts and in the Great Lake region.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper publicly assailed the tariff when the spectre of it was raised earlier this year.
However, as the surcharge makes its comeback, the NDP critic suggested that Harper's Conservatives have been sleeping on the job.
"I would suggest they're not paying attention ... they're not negotiating hard, they're not standing up for Canadians," he told The Canadian Press.
U.S. Ambassador David Jacobson urged Canadians not to take the fee to heart, and he defended the Obama administration's decision to resurrect it.
"The elimination of the exemption was necessitated by the budget situation in my country," he said.
"It is paid by American citizens and foreign nationals alike just like Canadian citizens and non-Canadian citizens pay fees at Canadian airports .... This fee is not in any way an action against Canada and will not have any effect on the progress of the ongoing discussions surrounding the Beyond the Border initiative."
The initiative in which Jacobson referred is a new, sweeping agreement on border security that will result in Canada paying $1 billion for new facilities.
The tariff comes as Canada continues to lobby against U.S. protectionism in Washington, part of $447 billion in jobs legislation in the capital.
In a speech last week in Ottawa, Jacobson said any new "Buy American" provisions in Washington would not affect the Canadian economy compared to the ongoing economic malaise south of the border.
Jacobson added that the best way to help the Canadian economy would be to ensure that growth resumes in the U.S

RollingHome

Stop complaining, they are charging terrorist $ 20.00 (cash only) to get in - first they must prove they are a threat. It could be worse, much worse, how about $ 100.00 to leave ? This IS NOT a tax, it's just another user fee :D... Maybe they will stream-line it and accept Easy-Pass, probably even get a discount . You Canadians should write Washington to see if you can get coupon books at a discount. Maybe 20 pass at $5.49/ea. Seriously, in the end, it's embarrassing and wrong. We should be inviting our Canadian neighbors in, they are good people, and they’ve always had our six !

ChopperBill

Well according to the new "administration" There aint no new taxes. But they sure stuck a few new "fees" up our Yang yangs! Not even going to go into what it cost to put plates on our BH compared to two years ago!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Could always be worse. Entry/exit fees are nothing new. We used to get hit up for $5.00 when we traveled to Sint Maarten back in the day.
[h=1]Argentina[/h]An "entrance fee" will be collected from all citizens of the United States, Canada, and Australia arriving in Argentina. This is not a visa fee.
[h=3]How much is the fee?[/h]For U.S. citizens, the fee is approximately $131 USD.
For Canadian citizens, the fee is approximately $70.00 USD.
For Australian citizens, the fee is approximately $100 USD.
* Estimated amounts are based on conversion rates and are subject to change. Paid in USD.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Could always be worse. Entry/exit fees are nothing new. We used to get hit up for $5.00 when we traveled to Sint Maarten back in the day.
Argentina

An "entrance fee" will be collected from all citizens of the United States, Canada, and Australia arriving in Argentina. This is not a visa fee.
How much is the fee?

For U.S. citizens, the fee is approximately $131 USD.
For Canadian citizens, the fee is approximately $70.00 USD.
For Australian citizens, the fee is approximately $100 USD.
* Estimated amounts are based on conversion rates and are subject to change. Paid in USD.

Well, they won't be seeing me in Argentina any time soon!

merlinb

Retired
My wife and I went to Turkey last month to visit our son who is stationed there with the USAF. Upon landing in Istanbul the very first thing we had to do was to go to a window and purchase a $20.00 per person visa good for 90 days.
When I was delivering RVs and later driving an expediter truck, every time I made a delivery to Canada I had to pay $5.00 to reenter the U.S. This was a U.S. charge not Canadian.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, I was just thinkin'.
If we only charged at the south entrance......:confused: