5th Airborne Question

Garypowell

Installed my new 5th Airborne Pin box last weekend. Took a few days to finish it off. Once done I aired up the bag....I had heard it leaked sometimes and wanted to check so I had time to fix it before we leave in June.

After filling it up to 70 PSI I did some other things around the rig and came back periodically to check the pressure. It was 68, then 65, then 60, then.....going down. I filled it back up again and decided to leave it alone for a few days. The bladder is so small I was concerned just checking it was causing the loss of pressure.

Went back today, two days later, and sure enough it was still up to pressure. So it was my checking that caused it to deflate.

So what do you do......it is going to be a pain to get the pump out every time I want to check it since just checking it will drop it below where I want it to be.

Maybe you buy a gauge and permanently hook it in so you can monitor the pressure. If someone has done this tell me where you got your gauge and how you plumbed it.

Maybe you pump it up and wait for the ride benefit to go away and know it is time to pump back up again.

Maybe the air charge last for month and I am over thinking this....which I tend to do.....

Just curious what others have done.

Thanks,

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
DH just fills it before we leave for a trip, typically doesn't check or fill on a trip unless we notice a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Mine leaks. I think I will be pulling it all apart to see if I can do any repairs.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I fill ours up before we leave on a trip and unless we stay at a specific location for more than 2 weeks, I don't even check it or add air to come home. It has worked well for us for the past 4 years.

Rod

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of adding a T and gauge. It makes sense that with such a small volume of air that pressure will be lost when checking it.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

Looks like no one has tried the gauge option.....and if anyone likes a project....its me. The air bag is about the size of my fist. I see the line on the sticker just have not hooked up the truck yet.

I just recalled several posts where people were always "playing with the air pressure to get the best ride"....and wondered how they played with the air pressure being so radially changed just by checking.

Don't know if I can try the gauge idea before we leave in June but I'll put it on the list.

Thanks all,

TravelTiger

Looks like no one has tried the gauge option.....and if anyone likes a project....its me. The air bag is about the size of my fist. I see the line on the sticker just have not hooked up the truck yet.

I just recalled several posts where people were always "playing with the air pressure to get the best ride"....and wondered how they played with the air pressure being so radially changed just by checking.

Don't know if I can try the gauge idea before we leave in June but I'll put it on the list.

Thanks all,

We'll be watching for your results! Sounds like a good project.

SLO

I've never even checked the pressure. Just fill to the line (notch) on pin box. It does go flat over an extended period of time, like a couple of months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones

I have a big issue with mine loosing it's pressure for a rough ride quick. It doesn't loose all pressure but enough. It has moved up on my priority list though

TravelTiger

I have a big issue with mine loosing it's pressure for a rough ride quick. It doesn't loose all pressure but enough. It has moved up on my priority list though

It could be a leaky valve stem core. I think we've had to replace ours once.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I didn't think of that but a good suggestion. I was figuring possibly the fitting on the air bag

Dave, ask Lyle (travelin2) about my leaking valve stem core. He saved the day in a matter of 30 seconds.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Dave, ask Lyle (travelin2) about my leaking valve stem core. He saved the day in a matter of 30 seconds.

It could be a leaky valve stem core. I think we've had to replace ours once.

I didn't think of that but a good suggestion. I was figuring possibly the fitting on the air bag

Dave, tighten the valve stem core before you do anything else. As Erika states that's what Jamie's issue was. We tightened his at Lancaster as his was loose and leaking.

Bones

Dave, tighten the valve stem core before you do anything else. As Erika states that's what Jamie's issue was. We tightened his at Lancaster as his was loose and leaking.
Thanks. I'll grab my tool and tighten it and see if that helps. Thanks. I'll know next week when I take the trailer back out. If the ride holds for the hour drive it is fixed.

Gary521

Thanks all,

I think that changing air pressure refers to air bags on the truck. You can move the air bag mounting position on the 5th Airborne to adjust ride.

Bones

I think that changing air pressure refers to air bags on the truck. You can move the air bag mounting position on the 5th Airborne to adjust ride.

Yup. You are correct. I am going to do that as well. So when I bring the trailer back next week I'll deflate the bag and move the bolts. At the same time I will tighten the valve stem to ensure it is tight and I will test all of this Friday for my 1 hour trip. hopefully that helps. I am also going to look into actually locking the airborne as well and check clearances to my truck bed cover.