5th Wheel Hitch Mounting

Considering the 2012-2013 Ram 3500 dually with 8' bed and a Reese 20K hitch.

Over-the-bed rails vs under-the-bed rails. Is there an advantage of one over the other besides not having visible rails in the bed?

Thanks,
-Lodge

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have a Reese 20K with in the bed rails. I prefer it - just like the visual of the locked in hitch. Remove four pins and the hitch comes right our. the rails leave an almost flat bed. Never has been a problem.

boatto5er

Other than the approx 1/8 in of spray liner to drill thru, absolutely no effect at all. I have it in mine - was actually easy to drill thru. Getting the 5/8 in hole in the bed for the rail mounting bolts was a different story. A couple of those were partially over a cross rail and that was tough drilling - incremental, starting with a 1/8th in bit and progressively working up to the 5/8ths.

By the way - I got the custom install kit that gives you strong frame connected mounts under the bed. eTrailer.com had a great deal with free shipping when I got mine.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have a sprayed liner and in-bed rails for my 16K Reese. As Gus mentioned, easy to remove and to see that it's pinned and locked. When I do have to haul something that might be on a pallet or large, I drop a couple of 2x4's on the floor of the bed and it slides right in.

bighorn3370

Same as the others. The only time the rails will be a big deal is if you haul aggregate. When I moved some sand, I just put a tarp down and then filled the bed with sand. The sprayed in bed liner is better than the plastic ones that drop in. The drop in ones need to be cut before they mount the rails. Ernie

lwmcguir

Ford finally did it right to have a clean bed and tie downs if you need them. I wouldn't go back to anything else even if it were 1/2 the price. Best all around truck we have ever had and this one is number 40 somthing.

Thanks for all the advice. Even though we've owned a 5th wheel in the past I didn't have to deal with the hitch issue because our truck (Volvo) already had one installed. If I go with a 1 ton truck it will be a Dodge/Cummins. Also considering a Freightliner M2. The M2 is overkill for the weight of the Landmark, but I'm looking at it from a longevity standpoint.

boatto5er

Can't go wrong with the Cummins. Wifw didn't like the interior or I'd be driving one right now :rolleyes:.