6 point hydraulic leveling system

Linc

My wife and I will be ordering a Road Warrior in a few days and I was wondering about adding the 6 point leveling system. I can understand the front and back jacks working fine but am concerned about the center two jacks. How are the center jacks attached to the unit? If they are attached to a point on the frame (which I assume they are) doesn't the force of the center jacks cause stress in the center of the unit? Or are the center jacks mounted in such a way as to spread the stress through the area where the axles are attached?

I was also wondering about the dual pane windows. We intend to use the unit many times a year even though we are both working. Do the dual pane windows help insulate that much and is that benefit lost by hauling the additional weight all the time?

My final question is this. Why is the ramp door built stronger on the units that purchase the patio? I know the stress of people walking around or using chairs is different from tires. I also know that people dont weight 1500 pounds and the surface area of the tires on my harleys is not that great. To me this is a bfo (blinding flash of the obvious). The beefed up door should be standard equipment and the option should be the rails which I do not want.

Thanks for the input.

danemayer

Re: 6 point hydrolic leveling system

Hi Linc,

On the 6 point leveler, I believe the middle jacks are used as stabilizers and probably provide support for the middle of the frame. The front and rear jacks do the heavy lifting.

Dual pane windows reduce noise, condensation, and help reduce heat transfer. I think most people who've gotten them are happy with their decision.

I'll offer a guess about the ramp door: if it's on the ground, the weight on the ramp is distributed across the entire edge from side-to-side, front and rear. In party mode, the weight toward the rear is supported by the corner cable anchors - the weight in the middle where everyone is sitting/standing has less direct support. That seems to me like it might be a reason to beef up the door.

jnbhobe

On the 6 point jacks the two right side are plumbed together and the two left side are plumbed together as are the two front so the pressure is even on each pair.
I wish I had the dual pane windows, they keep out the noise and insulate too.

scottyb

Linc, If I had ordered my Cyclone, I would have ordered the 6pt levelling system. I think the frame is so long that on these toy haulers, they actually bow in the middle with only the fron landing gear and rear stabilizers. Also, you have no side to side leveling and have to use boards or blocking under the tires to level it.

As far as the ramp with rails, I think it is about my favorite option over everything. If you don't want the rails all the time, they can be removed or replaced in about 1 minute. I don't know if you have small kids/grandkids or dogs, but ...........

Attachments

• IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 107

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Get the six point now. A lot cheaper now than later. You can even use it if you have a flat tire to raise the coach.

Theresau

We will soon be getting a new BC. We greatly pondered on the dual pane windows when we ordered it and decided against it due to the extra weight. We have encountered lows as low as high 20's and never had condensation develop on our BH windows.

rjwarre

Get the 6pt Level Up. it is designed to minimize stress on the frame when leveling the coach. Makes set up much easier. Just push the auto level button and walk away. much easier than having to back up over boards & blocks. Will also raise the tires off the ground for service or to change a flat. It was a deal breaker for us.
The ramp door on the patio option is more robust to withstand single point loads such as chair legs etc without damage. The rails are very easy to remove, just pull a few pins and off they come.
Good luck with your decision.

porthole

Retired

My wife and I will be ordering a Road Warrior in a few days and I was wondering about adding the 6 point leveling system. I can understand the front and back jacks working fine but am concerned about the center two jacks. How are the center jacks attached to the unit? If they are attached to a point on the frame (which I assume they are) doesn't the force of the center jacks cause stress in the center of the unit? Or are the center jacks mounted in such a way as to spread the stress through the area where the axles are attached?

I was also wondering about the dual pane windows.

Why is the ramp door built stronger on the units that purchase the patio? I know the stress of people walking around or using chairs is different from tires. I also know that people dont weight 1500 pounds and the surface area of the tires on my harleys is not that great.

Hi Linc,
On the 6 point leveler, I believe the middle jacks are used as stabilizers and probably provide support for the middle of the frame. The front and rear jacks do the heavy lifting.

6 point, if I could only choose one option, that would be it.

6 jacks - the two front jacks work together, but may not move at the same time. The hydraulics are such that the two front jacks "float", they are interconnected and when the system activates the front jacks both are supplied pressure. The jack with the least resistance moves first, when it hits the ground the other jack will move until both are grounded, then they will move equally.

The 4 rear jacks - the left side middle and rear are tied together and move the same way the fronts do, e.g. the jack with least resistance moves first. Same with the right side.

You can lower just the left or right sides as desired. You can also move all four rear jacks at one time.

Things change when you use the leveling feature. Once all jacks are grounded and some pressure is applied and you start to level, either manual or "auto" all 6 jacks work in unison.

Manual
For example, the trailer is 1-2 degrees out of side to side level, and nose low, all jacks are grounded and have done some lifting.

Now extend the front jacks (raise). The front jacks extend, the middle jacks extend to keep the same support and the rear jacks may or may not move.

Now raise the side that is low. All 3 jacks on the one side will move equally.

Auto
Works very much the same without user intevention. But, if the trailer is low and not level side to side, as the system attempts to find level all 6 jacks are working in unison.

It is possible that the leveling may try and lower the right front corner while at the same time raising the left rear corner. And the middle jacks will quietly keep on moving to keep the trialer leveld and stress free.

Dual pane windows. There is some debate as to whether the windows live up to all the claims. They are not made the same as a Pella is made in your sticks and bricks house.

But if you went in and out of two identcal campers with the excpetion of the windows, in a noisy campground, I'm sure you will pick up the noise differnce. At first you may not notice it, then you will realize you are not hearing all the noise

I wouldn't buy another camper without them.

Ramp, best guess is it has to do with "impact loads" Your bike may spend all of 5 seconds on the ramp.
Minimal "impact" load. get several people bouncing around on a supported door and the loads changes quitea bit.

Linc

Cambered I Frames and Stress (6 point system)

I understand and very much appreciate the responses I received from the thread below but I probably did not ask the question clearly. My understanding is that the forged I- beam frames used in the 5th wheel are cambered, meaning the beams have a slight upward bend. The axles are attached over a over a long distance and the coach built upon that structure. As the coach sits supported by the axles the pressure is spread through the entire length. If I support the unit at one end to level it and the other just to stabilize it, I still have the pressure in the center that was built into the unit. If I now apply the same pressure in the center of the unit that is used on one end, does that not create a pressure at one point in the center that is not accounted for when the frame is constructed? So I think my question should be does anybody know of complaints about seam separation in the center of units using the 6 point leveling system? Maybe I am over thinking this but a four point system makes more sense to me.

danemayer

Re: Cambered I Frames and Stress (6 point system)

So I think my question should be does anybody know of complaints about seam separation in the center of units using the 6 point leveling system? Maybe I am over thinking this but a four point system makes more sense to me.
Linc,

I think you are over thinking this. The frame is designed by Lippert. The leveling system is designed by Lippert. Lippert claims the 6 point system is intended especially for longer RVs because it's less stressful to the frame.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

Remember too....the majority of the weight is normally supported on the axles. The center jacks are supporting from the same area as the axles.
If I am understanding your concern correctly, there would actually be more "sag" with the 4 point system with weight off the wheels.

alaska dodge

I have the six point level and love it, I also have the dual pane windows and love them. The level system works great, the jacks are just in front of the tires and just behind the last tires. I used my cyclone this past winter in Alaska an if I didn't have the dual pane window I would have had to cover up my windows with something to keep the heat in. It also really keeps the outside noise down.

porthole

Retired

Maybe I am over thinking this but a four point system makes more sense to me.

You are giving it more thought then necessary. The 6 points are superior to the 4 points. When in the auto mode, all 6 jacks work together to prevent the trailer from flexing or twisting.

When two jacks are hydraulically coupled you can think of them as a single point fulcrum, like a see saw.

So, in a way its a three point system, hydraulically, like a tripod.

From above:

jxj j
:::x
jxj j

Where the x is the fulcrum point, j is the jack

Leave it to us engineers to confuse everybody... :)

dave10a

I am not sure what grade of steel the frame uses but I suspect it is not the same grade that many pickups use-- so I can't say much about the technical details. However I love my 6 point leveling and see no reason it would not work as well for toy haulers-- assuming that Heartland spec'd the jacks for the weights they advertise. My auto level works very well and the trailer has minimal movement while parked. Also, I can service the axles and tire easily because the jacks will lift the trailer wheels completely off the ground. I had dual pane windows in my motor home and regretted them because they leaked after while, out of warranty, which makes them economically not worth it. My trailer has standard windows and they are just fine in the heat and cold. The awnings make more of difference in the heat than dual pane windows. As far as noise, I have not noticed a problem. We still hear the trains like we did when I had dual pane windows ;-)