88 degree front work on a Dodge Megacab specifically?

Anyone pulling a unit with the 88 degree turn front cap, with a Dodge Megacab?

Currently pulling my 5er using a Reese Sidewinder pin box I swapped onto it. It does what needs to be done well, but is a tad of a PIA to connect, you have to be dead on backing into it. Would be nice to not need it on the next rig, not a deal breaker. Plan on keeping the TV for some time to come. Pulling a 06 KZ Sportster 37 TH. We are currently enamored with the Cyclone 4100. More questions will follow I'm sure! Thanks

Toccoatravelers

We have pulled a 37 ft Sundance and now a 40 ft Landmark with a 2012 dodge mega cab short bed. We do have a slider hitch but have only used it one time in 3 years. Have not had any issues. BTW we have loved both our Heartland 5ers. Great rig great company.

Jim.Allison

Got a slider and never have used it. But the secret is to NEVER put yourself in anything that even remotely looks like you are going to get in a bind. If you are using the full 88 degrees, your tires are going to be taking a lot of punishment.

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

I had same question for my short bed F350. Did a lot of research and decided the best solution for my needs was a Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this setup. I can use 75% of the bed of my truck for tall stuff as the pivot point is moved back.

Here are two links to a video of the Sidewinder. One with the airbag and one without the airbag. Will give you a nice understanding of the solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL0CPmqx6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6w04tAnm8

Did I mention I LOVE this solution?

Bones

Not only is it moved back but up. Down side is that it shoves your piviot point back which changes your backing angles

Oregon_Camper

Not only is it moved back but up. Down side is that it shoves your piviot point back which changes your backing angles

Perhaps you're correct on the backing angles, but I've backed into some VERY tight spots without any issues.

maddog

Huhmina ! Huhmina!
Ford f 350 cc short bed,,,bighorn 3010,,,got a pullrite super glide,,,easy hookup,,,works great,,,,could have tried without it,,,didn't want to risk it,,,too many stories of cab getting hit...

I had same question for my short bed F350. Did a lot of research and decided the best solution for my needs was a Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder. ................................................

Did I mention I LOVE this solution?

You must've missed in my original post where I said that is what I have now. They work great. If I need to go that route again it' definitely not a deal breaker, but would be nice to not need it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I look at the slider like a screwdriver or hammer . . .

A nice tool to have in the tool box if you need it.

But a real big drag to need it . . . and not have it!

Bones

You must've missed in my original post where I said that is what I have now. They work great. If I need to go that route again it' definitely not a deal breaker, but would be nice to not need it.
Do you still have the sidewinder? If so you can lock it out to use as a normal type pinbox

Do you still have the sidewinder? If so you can lock it out to use as a normal type pinbox
Yes, I still use it! I have not purchased a new coach yet. Still looking, got plenty of time before next July, the Cyclone 4100 series in the lead, but we're far from through looking.

This new unit will serve as a summer home, a couple weeks of July in upstate NY, and Aug & Sept at a park in the Black Hills of SD, rest of the time in storage in Florida. Cyclone has some great features for a TH, but some of the same Achilles heel, as the rest, the living area layout. Layout is great for a weekend, but like everyone else's, if you like to watch the tube from a couch.........

Bones

Yes, I still use it! I have not purchased a new coach yet. Still looking, got plenty of time before next July, the Cyclone 4100 series in the lead, but we're far from through looking.

This new unit will serve as a summer home, a couple weeks of July in upstate NY, and Aug & Sept at a park in the Black Hills of SD, rest of the time in storage in Florida. Cyclone has some great features for a TH, but some of the same Achilles heel, as the rest, the living area layout. Layout is great for a weekend, but like everyone else's, if you like to watch the tube from a couch.........
If your sidewinder is good I would keep it and not let it go. Even when I make the switch to an 8 foot bed I plan on keeping my sidewinder. I really like the use of the bed. I also like the fact that I can rotate the pinbox out of the way when we are staying at a campground. Hershey is coming up in a few weeks and you can get a good look at all of the toy haulers out there.

If your sidewinder is good I would keep it and not let it go. Even when I make the switch to an 8 foot bed I plan on keeping my sidewinder. I really like the use of the bed. I also like the fact that I can rotate the pinbox out of the way when we are staying at a campground. Hershey is coming up in a few weeks and you can get a good look at all of the toy haulers out there.

The Swinger is only a year old. No intention of giving it up. I saved the original pin box to put back on when I trade. Good point about rotating it out of the way especially considering the coach will be parked for weeks, maybe even months at a time at campgrounds in summer.
We were at Sturgis Bike Week this year, so we got a good look at lot of toy haulers. The dealers were prepared, one dealer had over 60 toy haulers in stock!

Oregon_Camper

Question.... How do you rotate it out of the way? I'd have to strap it to my truck to move it. Is mine not installed correctly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bones

Question.... How do you rotate it out of the way? I'd have to strap it to my truck to move it. Is mine not installed correctly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

At first mine was real tight and I couldn't move it either. I had to break it in a couple of times before I could rotate it by hand but I am basically pushing it in the direction I want it to go. Put some force behind it and it should move. Here is a photo of mine rotated after I parked the trailer.

IMG_20150603_162253.jpg

I think it may have taken about 5 good trips with lots of turning before I was able to move it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What is the purpose of pushing that sideways?

Doesn't seem like it is anymore out of the way than if it were straight out in towing position.

Bones

What is the purpose of pushing that sideways?

Doesn't seem like it is anymore out of the way than if it were straight out in towing position.
I'm tall and I like to walk around the front of the camper to get to the other side. Usually the truck is there in front so I can just walk between the two and not worry about hitting anything. Sometimes I have had to move it out of necessity like my picture. I was in such a tight spot in South Carolina that my pin box was sticking out into the road and rotating it kept other people from hitting it. You can see in my signature too the spot.