A/C is running, what else can I run? Frig? TV?

cspiron

North Trail FX235 with 30amps and a 13,500 A/C. Is there a list of amperage for each item? What do you guys use while the a/c is on? Thanks!

cs

mlpeloquin

You can get a Progressive Industries surge protector and it not only protects you rig, under/over and open ground, but the internal one has a monitor for voltage and current. You can also purchase a clamp around current meter: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-600-Amp-AC-Digital-Clamp-Meter-with-Temp-CL200/202521277 The AC should be using around 12.5 to 13 amps. Now you get to play Green Acres! Each device should have a Voltage and Current rating. The AC and microwave is ok depending on the other current requirements at the time. Such as the refrigerator and the converter to charge the house batteries and run the lights. Is there enough left for the television???

With the current meter turn one device on at a time and record the current each device uses. Then use the list to determine what has or not has to be turned off to use something else.

windviewer

I have monitors in our trailer (Prowler 20P RBS) for power consumption. When only converter is on (charging), about 1 AMP. Add the fridge (on electric), now up to 3 AMPS. Turn the ELECTRIC water heater on, and when running up to about 15 AMPS. Put the A/C on and you are now close to 28 AMPS.
I have instructed DW that if A/C is on, then only one of ELECTRIC water, Microwave OR 'toaster' OR hair dryer can be used at one time. All other electrical consumers are minor compared to these 4.

Microwaves use about 12 AMPS when 'on' (they cycle on/off during the cooking - you can watch the meter spike up and down while cooking)

cspiron

You can get a Progressive Industries surge protector and it not only protects you rig, under/over and open ground, but the internal one has a monitor for voltage and current. You can also purchase a clamp around current meter: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-600-Amp-AC-Digital-Clamp-Meter-with-Temp-CL200/202521277 The AC should be using around 12.5 to 13 amps. Now you get to play Green Acres! Each device should have a Voltage and Current rating. The AC and microwave is ok depending on the other current requirements at the time. Such as the refrigerator and the converter to charge the house batteries and run the lights. Is there enough left for the television???

With the current meter turn one device on at a time and record the current each device uses. Then use the list to determine what has or not has to be turned off to use something else.

So take the clamp meter, clamp it around the plug for each device I want to use for a reading? Can I place it around the 30amp cord outside to regulate the usage?

windviewer

So take the clamp meter, clamp it around the plug for each device I want to use for a reading? Can I place it around the 30amp cord outside to regulate the usage?

A clamp meter needs to be around the HOT wire, not the entire cord to measure AMPS. You might be able to measure at the converter panel each of the breaker wires this way.

A simpler method for homeowners is to buy a Kill-A-Watt type device that you put in the plug in the wall, then plug the device into it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386

Won't help you measure the electric water heater or other direct connected devices however.

Last edited:

danemayer

The attached chart from an Onan manual shows the approximate power consumption of various devices. 30 amps at 120 V = 3,600 watts.

Your Power Converter is running in the background all the time. It's usually only drawing 1 - 3 amps, but can draw more from time to time.

Attachments

• Onan Typical Power Usage Chart.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 25

pegmikef

We had a 15,000 BTU A/C in our North Trail and we routinely ran the A/C, T/V refrigerator and hot water heater. After the A/C was running it consumed about 12 amps (starting was almost 20 amps). Remember, the hot water heater and refrigerator are on demand devices and aren't running most of the time. They only run when the water temperature gets lower than whatever the threshold is and the same for the refrigerator except it is when the interior temp is higher than whatever the threshold is. We also ran the coffee pot. That being said, you have to manage your appliances and the wife's hair apparatus. Things like the microwave, electric skillets or grills, toasters, hair dryers, curling irons, etc. are high amperage devices so be selective which of these you use simultaneously. Overall, we found that 30 Amps was more than adequate.