A/C vent removal ('15 Gateway 3650BH)

Hi folks, I am trying to take the a/c vent down to make sure that they are sealed properly, so I will not have any air loss just going into the ceiling. I want all of the a/c to come into the camper. I can't seen to get the a/c to cool it down. A/c thermostats set on 76 and can't get down but to 78 or so. I measured the air straight out of the a/c unit, it was running about 60 degrees. Just trying to stop any and all loss of air. Of course I am in Louisiana and it has been running about 90 to 93 degrees each day.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: ATF: Gateway - 2015 3650 bh A/C vent removal

Dang nice and cool up in Melville. I am at Cajun palms this weekend and it was 97 when we pulled in. As far as your ac goes check the amps your compressor is drawing. Mine was around 4.5 to 5 so dometic replaced it even out of warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafordguy

My 2 month old replacement for my 3 month old original A/C on my 3650BH just died this past weekend. My repair guy is supposed to come out next week and change it out again. Dometic does have a real problem with their 15k btu units.:p

Oh, I didn't answer your question. You can re-seal the inside ducts by taking off the plastic cover on the inside. It has 4 screws, two of which have a little round cover over the screw heads. Just pop them out with a knife blade.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Since you are in Louisiana you may have a hard time keeping your 41 foot 3650BH cool if you have only one AC unit.
Are you trying to keep cool with one or two units?

Peace
Dave

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

You ain't kidding today Dave it was 98 and heat index of 107 before a thunderstorm moved through and dropped temps to upper 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(justafordguy) I have taken the A/c registers off and have sealed the ductwork there, it definately needed it, what I'm trying to get off is the vent where the air is blowing into the camper, the small round ones.

(cookie) yes I have both units on cool and the fans set to high
I forgot to tell ya'll, I have already had my 15k a/c replaced also

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Check the cool air duct and see if it doesn't run 30+ inches past the last vent into the front and rear caps. That air is wasted. We made a 'dam' out of cardboard covered AC aluminum tape and dramatically increased the airflow out of the vents. Also take the last plastic vent off which allows more air out of the duct. We were at the Coushatta in Kinder LA for 4 days this week with the temps at or above 101 everyday and the inside temps got to 79 with both 15k ACs cranking all day. The thermostats are set on 71. Yesterday at Vinton it was 104 and the inside temps were only 82. Can't wait for fall or at least low 90s. BTW the temp of the air coming out of the AC vents was 59 in the LR and 60 in the BR.

Just al little update, I removed all of the air vents in the camper, some of them were not sealed correctly, so I was getting some air lost into the ceiling, and some of the vents had the aluminum tape blocking the ductwork itself. Deffinately improved the airflow once I completely retaped all of the air vents. The duckwork does go past the last two air vents in the bedroom, I will block them off also. Thanks everyone for your knowledge.

Ok guys, I have another problem with the A/C in my gateway,
I have already had the rear A/C replaced. I was loading the camper yesterday so we could make a quick weekend trip, and guess what, now the front A/C is not working, the unit comes on and compressor is running, but no cold air, exactly what the rear one did. I am not impressed with the dometic A/C units, If things keep going like this, I won't have this one long. Six months old and this will be the 2nd A/C and the inverter already, not happy with my new camper. Sorry everyone, I guess I just needed to vent.

justafordguy

I completely understand your frustration, I am on my third rear A/C unit on my 7 month old 3650BH. This isn't really a Heartland/Gateway issue. Dometic is having a real problem with their A/C units right now for some reason. After having my third unit installed I purchased an additional 3 year warranty on my two A/C units from Dometic just in case.

Bones

I completely understand your frustration, I am on my third rear A/C unit on my 7 month old 3650BH. This isn't really a Heartland/Gateway issue. Dometic is having a real problem with their A/C units right now for some reason. After having my third unit installed I purchased an additional 3 year warranty on my two A/C units from Dometic just in case.

do we have to go with dometic?

justafordguy

Good question, if I have another failure after the warranty is up I'll sure be looking for something else.;)

justafordguy

Well guys, looks like my 3rd new ac unit just went bad. We have been at the beach this week and the temps are around 80. The unit runs for a while but then freezes up. Also the output air temp isn't very cool, maybe 5 degrees lower than room temp. It's only drawing about 9 amps which is way to low. I think it's low on freon again. That's 3 bad Domestic 15k units in 9 months. There has to be a better option.:p

Bones

Well guys, looks like my 3rd new ac unit just went bad. We have been at the beach this week and the temps are around 80. The unit runs for a while but then freezes up. Also the output air temp isn't very cool, maybe 5 degrees lower than room temp. It's only drawing about 9 amps which is way to low. I think it's low on freon again. That's 3 bad Domestic 15k units in 9 months. There has to be a better option.:p
Well that sucks. Can you replace it with a heat pump unit instead. How many units are they going to just replace?

justafordguy

I contacted them today and asked them the same question, how many times do I have to replace this thing. :confused: Hopefully they will come up with a solution.