a few more

herefishy

If you don't mind, I'll get them all soon, I promise. Anyone know how much weight the dual pane windows add? Probably not enough to keep from getting them? How about the bigger refrigerator 9 or 10 cu ft, with the icemaker? Take up much space? Work OK?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
FISHY, it would help to know what HL product your looking at. Hard to answer your questions without that info.

herefishy

Sorry! My mind was connected to the last post I made saying we were contemplating a Bighorn 3055rl, but my post wasn't.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We would not be without the dual pane windows! We are fine with the small fridge because I want the pantry and storage that the bigger fridge would use up the space for. We spent $200 on a portable ice maker instead of the built in which cuts down on another possible source of leaks and winterizing steps. Besides, we can use it at home too...

What it really comes down to is what you want and need for what you do. Get what will work for you, but if you are ordering, that is probably what you are doing.:eek:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would not be without dual pane windows. Like ziggy, no matter how much they weigh. I think that Katkens knows the weight of dual panes on a 3055. Wait for his reply. When it comes to the refer, bigger is better for us. I think that if you use the freezer for frozen food then the ice maker might not be for you. They do take up some room. There was some discussion on the forum a while back and some people removed the ice maker to get that space back. Personal preference. The portable ice maker is a good option.

Peace
Dave

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I have single pane windows, but if I were ordering, I'd get the duals. I'd love to have a larger refer, wouldn't get the ice maker but opt for the portable models. I had a built-in in the last MH, and although handy, the portables can really produce the ice much, much faster. Have fun with your decisions and choices. You can't go wrong with a Heartland!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The Bighorns come with a 9 Cu.Ft refer. I believe the next step up is the optional 4 door refer w/ice maker. I think it is 13.5 Cu.Ft. You will loose the pantry with the 4 door refer.
On edit, looking at your floor plan with the refer on an angle in the corner I don't know if the 4 foor refer would fit there. Unless maybe they would install it in a different orientation. Have your dealer make a call to see if it would work if you are interested in the big refer.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't have the ice maker in my Reefer. We bought a portable ice maker from Camping World. Bought a 5ft freezer from Sears and installed them in a cabinet that we located where the table and chairs were located.

Attachments

• DSC_4562_800.jpg
    DSC_4562_800.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 31

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you are not getting a washer/dryer...then do as we did. We went to Lowes and bought a refer/freezer and installed it where the W/D would go. Works great for us and we still have the pantry. Then get the portable ice maker. I would get the dual pane windows without doubt

Attachments

• fridge 007 (Medium).jpg
    fridge 007 (Medium).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 27
  • fridge 008 (Medium).jpg
    fridge 008 (Medium).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 27

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
herefishy, We have the 9 ft fridge with the ice maker. It isn't any larger than the standard 8 ft fridge as far as the exterior. The ice maker was problematic at first but once the bugs were worked out, it's been problem free for 2 years. As long as we're not entertaining, it provides us with more than enough ice. You do not lose any storage space. I don't know if the 4 door fridge is an option in the 3055. If it is available, you will lose about 12" on the sides for storage. In some models, that means "No Pantry" The dual pane windows are definitely a must have. At least they were for us.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
My 2 cents.
1 we have the large fridge and ice maker. Ice maker works great. Fridge works most of the time great.
2. If you do buy a camping world or other ice maker, that is all you get. An ice maker. You have no place to store the ice, unless you put it in an ice chest or in your freezer of your fridge. Defeats the purpose to me.
3. I'm in the deep south, and i did not get the double pane windows and don't see where i need them. I have 1" or 2" of foam board on many of my windows to cut the heat down and also the sound. Works great. Bedroom is totally dark and real quiet.

shovelguy

We have the dual pane windows and would not be without them. They totally eliminate the problem of moisture condensing on the inside of the windows (a problem we had all the time with another rig that had single pane windows). We also think it helps keep the heat in, or the cold out. Love them. We have the standard size fridge. There are occasional times when I would have liked a larger one but all in all I don't think it would be worth the extra money and the lost space. Just our views.

caissiel

We bought our unit whitout knowing the double pane windows were incuded as an option.
I consider we luck in on a great unit.
We spend 1 month here in the cold in the fall and when we return we are in the cold again.
The windows have been dry all the time no sweet running down.

We love the extra noice reduction when we sleep at truck stops and walmarts. Hardly hear the trafic outside when sleeping.

Moose

Could one of you with dual pane windows possible post some pictures of them?

I am curious to see the difference in "frames", etc.

Is it possible to retrofit at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Shivering up north.

Moose.

jbeletti

Moose,

It is usually possible to replace single pane RV windows for dual pane windows. Heartland does not provide this as a service but there are dealers and service centers that can do it. My guess is that it would cost about $2500 plus or minus.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW the dual pane windows will add some weight to your rig. Not sure the exact amount but they are heavier.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
The lawn mower forced me to replace the small side window in my big slide this summer. The dual pane replacement window was $275. The single pane was $95. I was told the dual pane windows added about 60Lb to the trailer. Heartland customer service may be able to give you the weight differences in the single pain and dual pane windows. I too, would not be without the dual pane windows.