A few newby questions

OtterMN

We bought our 3950 used, and I have come up with a couple questions:

- Water heater: It seems to be either electric or propane... which switch is which? There is a toggling wallplate switch that glows red above the counter top, and a black rocker switch on the control panel that is labelled "water heater" or something like that.

- Does running the refrigerator, water heater, or furnace off of propane require any 12V power?

ah cr@p... I'm having a mental block at the moment... I know I have more questions!

danemayer

Re: A few newb questions

Hi OtterMN,

It just so happens that we have a Water Heater Usage Guide that explains the switches and much more. Here's a link.

The refrigerator circuit board, water heater circuit board, furnace circuit board and blower motor, and the thermostat all require 12V power. Slideout motors and hydraulic pumps and stabilizer motors and most internal and external lights also use 12V power.

OtterMN

OK, so it's not really practical to turn off the on-board generator at night and expect to run the furnace and fridge and not have a dead battery in the morning? Thanks for the reply!

porthole

Retired
The red toggle switch that glows when flipped up is the "electric" portion of the water heater.
The black switch on the panel is the propane side of the water heater.

You can use either-or, or both at the same time.

If you have decent battery/batteries you should be able to last through the night.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Be sure the water heater is full of water before turning on the electric heater element. If not, the element will be fried.

taken

We run all night with no battery problems. Start the generator up in the am to recharge.

oscar

Should you run the battery too low to start the generator (which is not a good thing to do for battery longevity) you can start up the tow vehicle and bring the 12V system back up.

If the water heater is running on propane you will hear it, or feel it at the exhaust.

Wharton

Your neighbors would not appreciate your running the generator all night.

GOTTOYS

Most places have specific hours that you can run a gennie. Adding an additional battery or batteries might be a good idea...Don

Grey Ghost

Hey ottermn, this web-site and a manuals section in it which I have found to be very helpful, might want to check it out sometime. Welcome to the club, many helpful people on this forum as you will find out shortly. Anyhow, that manuals section can be very helpful and also Heartland is also very helpful, I've asked them any number of questions and have always gotten a response. Take care and be safe out there!! :cool: